Starter issue or what?

lbrac

Threads
It looks like it might have split open at that line. Never having had the shroud off I wouldn't know if it's always been that way. I did notice it looks like a small piece has chipped out of the edge of the parting line. That is shown at the very edge of the picture. It might be time to replace the manifold?

The K&N filter I have is used dry. That makes the washing simple and easy. It's worked for a few of years but maybe I should have replaced it by now. They can't last forever I suppose.

I've had to stop several times during a mowing to knock the excess dirt out of the filter or I won't make it back to the house.
A K&N should last if given some care. I think I saw on the K&N website that they have a lifetime warranty. You might want to check, if you buy another, be aware that they are proud of them and don't give them away.

It looks like it might have split open at that line. Never having had the shroud off I wouldn't know if it's always been that way. I did notice it looks like a small piece has chipped out of the edge of the parting line. That is shown at the very edge of the picture. It might be time to replace the manifold?

The K&N filter I have is used dry. That makes the washing simple and easy. It's worked for a few of years but maybe I should have replaced it by now. They can't last forever I suppose.

I've had to stop several times during a mowing to knock the excess dirt out of the filter or I won't make it back to the house.
An opening in the intake manifold would allow dust into the engine and cause premature wear; and allow air intrusion, which would cause the engine to run lean. If it is split open, at least try plugging any opening in the intake manifold with epoxy, silicone sealer or even hot glue, which should last long enough to see if it improves performance.

An air box might reduce plugging of the filter, if it doesn't have one.

jallenaz

Threads
Today I got all my parts finally and installed them. Starter motor, solenoid and new filters. Blew out the vent holes in the gas cap. Sealed up the opening in the intake manifold with hot melt glue. The tractor started right up. The starter motor sounded much better than the old one and the tractor ran great. The weeds have gotten ahead of me but the mower powered through all of them, some of them very slowly. Some of those weeds are really tough. Two and a half hours of mowing and probably a couple more to go to finish. Not too dusty today with the wind and so many weeds. After mowing I blew the dust off the mower with my leaf blower. That was a great idea. The tractor looks almost new again. I'll clean it really well when I have finished mowing tomorrow.

One thing with the new filters I bought, the outer foam that wraps the filter, the directions that came with them say to saturate that with oil. I looked though my manual and can't find that it ever said that anywhere. Anyhow I did saturate it with oil and after a mowing or two I will wash it out and reapply more oil. The directions say to do that every 25 hours under normal conditions.

I want to thank everyone that has replied to my post that helped me with the tractor. There were lots of great ideas. I don't know if I could have done this without this forum. You are a great resourse.

Thanks so much,

Jim

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Leave it dry
It's job is to catch the sticks & stones
Dry you can pull it off every mow and blow out the weed seed , grass clippings etc.
Wet and you have to degrease wash & dry it
Mot now days are just heat fused together and spit when washed

jallenaz

Threads
Leave it dry
It's job is to catch the sticks & stones
Dry you can pull it off every mow and blow out the weed seed , grass clippings etc.
Wet and you have to degrease wash & dry it
Mot now days are just heat fused together and spit when washed
It's stitched together.