Starter issue or what?

jallenaz

Threads
I'll have to find a source for a new air filter. I just cleaned that K&N really good. But now that you mention it it looks a bit swelled up.
Attached picture same angle as the previous last after I cleaned it out beyond the dipstick. It's the dust that collects and turns solid everywhere. It was all up through there to the steering. The tractor is probably 10 pound lighter after removing it.

I cleaned out below the air filter. There was a thin layer of sludge. I've always been afraid to clean it out as it wasn't going anywhere and I didn't want to drop some down the openings. It's easier to get at with the shroud off. Down at the bottom of those openings I stuck a pipe cleaner and there's about an eighth inch of sludge both sides. I really don't want to be taking the carburetor off.

I will take off the air deflector/directors and have a look. It will be tomorrow before I get to it.

Thanks for your patience.

20230501_162225.jpg20230501_162159.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With that amount of unfiltered dirt going into the engine I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't wiped the rings and worn the cylinders beyond max. Keep in mind that sludge you are finding going into the carb it only takes 1 tsp to sandpaper the rings and cylinder walls to beyond limits.

Forest#2

Threads
When you done your starter test using the jumper cables you confirmed your starter is bad.
Those Kohler starters are good until the starter housing itself fills up with dirt and muck.
Those type starters have opening at the top by the Bendix gear end and some have a itty bitty drain hole at the brush end to drain water out and it clogs and fills with up with dirt. Some do not even have a drain hole. Go on-line and contact dbelectric for a replacement starter if you have the tools for changing out the starter. You tube is your friend as to what is involved. You will need the engine model, code , etc. Some of them Kohler starters have a part number tag on them some don't.
A new starter will only put you back to your original problem of engine getting tired and straining itself.
That engine is eat up with neglect. As slomo says that air filter is clogged. Go back to a OEM type filter and use a foam pre-filter. (Buy two filters and two pre-filters and change them out and clean the old one with air pressure, blowing backwards and clean your engine quite often with air pressure, not water. You can use a leaf blower or get a small 110v portable compressor from lowes. You are very lucky that engine is not a oil burner the way that filter looks.
Do not run the engine over 10 seconds with the air cowling removed when testing the new starter.
When the engine starts loading up, Does the engine pick up speed if you dis-engauge the deck.
If that whole rig is 14 years old and not had any repair or PM done it's time for it too go to a good mechanic and or time to hire out your mowing.
I recently seen that same engine that air filter got so clogged the filter caved in on one side and opened a hole in the filter when it caved inwards. and the engine sucked dirt through the hole and eat up the rings. The Carb had 1/4 inch of muck caked dirt in the carb throat and the intake manifold.

jallenaz

Threads
I see Tractor Supply has filters. I will get a couple. I have had such a cloud of dust while mowing when I turned into it the mower almost died. I try not to let that happen

jallenaz

Threads
When you done your starter test using the jumper cables you confirmed your starter is bad.
Those Kohler starters are good until the starter housing itself fills up with dirt and muck.
Those type starters have opening at the top by the Bendix gear end and some have a itty bitty drain hole at the brush end to drain water out and it clogs and fills with up with dirt. Some do not even have a drain hole. Go on-line and contact dbelectric for a replacement starter if you have the tools for changing out the starter. You tube is your friend as to what is involved. You will need the engine model, code , etc. Some of them Kohler starters have a part number tag on them some don't.
A new starter will only put you back to your original problem of engine getting tired and straining itself.
That engine is eat up with neglect. As slomo says that air filter is clogged. Go back to a OEM type filter and use a foam pre-filter. (Buy two filters and two pre-filters and change them out and clean the old one with air pressure, blowing backwards and clean your engine quite often with air pressure, not water. You can use a leaf blower or get a small 110v portable compressor from lowes. You are very lucky that engine is not a oil burner the way that filter looks.
Do not run the engine over 10 seconds with the air cowling removed when testing the new starter.
When the engine starts loading up, Does the engine pick up speed if you dis-engauge the deck.
If that whole rig is 14 years old and not had any repair or PM done it's time for it too go to a good mechanic and or time to hire out your mowing.
Yes, when I disengage the mower it speeds right up. Is that a good thing? I hope. I can change out the starter. I've been to Youtube.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, when I disengage the mower it speeds right up. Is that a good thing? I hope. I can change out the starter. I've been to Youtube.
Step one, get a foam pre and a paper main air filter. Let's get this done first. Put the OEM air filter back on.

Your case you need 2 foam pre-filters. I would put SAE 30w oil on the outer one. Then you can wash that one out after every mow. You have to get drastic with your dirt.

jallenaz

Threads
I recently seen that same engine that air filter got so clogged the filter caved in on one side and opened a hole in the filter when it caved inwards. and the engine sucked dirt through the hole and eat up the rings. The Carb had 1/4 inch of muck caked dirt in the carb throat and the intake manifold.
I assume you like the DB Electric starters that are cheaper than I found a Kohler starter. The new replacements from Kohler have 9 teeth instead of 10 for more torque they say. But $50 more. I'm going by my Tractor Parts Manual part number.

Step one, get a foam pre and a paper main air filter. Let's get this done first. Put the OEM air filter back on.

Your case you need 2 foam pre-filters. I would put SAE 30w oil on the outer one. Then you can wash that one out after every mow. You have to get drastic with your dirt.

jallenaz

Threads
I have two filters on order both with pre-filters. It will be a couple of days to get them. I can use both pre-filters as you suggest. What do I wash the outer pre-filter with oil with? Soap and water? I will order two more filters in a few weeks. The starter motor is on order also. I'm optimistic that all this will work.

The fins on the cylinders look clean. No dried mud between them. Pictures are looking up from below and down. In the earlier picture that dirt in the corner left of the dipstick was blocking up the opening to the bottom of tractor. That could mess with the air flow. It should be a lot better now.
20230502_091724.jpg20230502_091709.jpg20230502_091656.jpg20230502_091643.jpg

I hadn't thought about using my leaf blower to clean the mower after mowing. It blows pretty hard. That was a good idea. Maybe get all that dirt out under the hood and off the mower bed each time. I have never thought about taking the shroud off to clean. The manual doesn't mention doing that. It just says to clean. Not that I did either.

Once I finish this mowing it won't rain again until July so the weeds and grass won't grow until then. Then maybe two or three times mowing after that. It might not be as dusty then.

Thanks for all of your help. There's not much more I can do now until my parts come.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hadn't thought about using my leaf blower to clean the mower after mowing. It blows pretty hard. That was a good idea.
Either a blower or compressed air. Yours is bad enough to power wash. But since water will get into places it shouldn't be. I would power wash it to get it cleaner. Then blow it off for sure. Think new engine/mower clean.
Maybe get all that dirt out under the hood and off the mower bed each time.
YES.
The manual doesn't mention doing that. It just says to clean. Not that I did either.
Thanks for owning up to it. Good man I see. Yours and every other engine manual on air cooled engines does say to clean the fins on a yearly or sooner. Yours being daily LOL. Download your engine manual and look where the maintenance is at. Like check the oil prior to EVERY mow. Change sparky plugs at so many hours. Then at the bottom you will see cooling fins cleaning.
I have never thought about taking the shroud off to clean.
98% of all other people out there don't know about this either. Air cooled, got to keep the fins clean.

Holler back when you get your parts.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Next up is Turtle Waxing the deck. Makes the dirt fly off easier when you hit it with a blower.