Standard spark plugs vs. iridium.........

enigma-2

Threads
I have a Tanaka TCB 340 32 cc 1.8 hp String Trimmer I bought in 2004 and still has the original plug and have never had to do a carb. job on it. Run 100% pure gas and Stihl synthetic oil in it. I rest my case.
If it were me, I'd drop a new plug in it, plus new air and fuel filter. Even if it still runs, these parts do wear out and one every 17 years is cheap enough ....

350Rocket

Threads
Personally I have not noticed a difference in performance between spark plugs on any of the engines I've owned. I replace them as preventative maintenance, but usually when they get replaced they could have gone much longer before causing any issues.

bkeller500

Threads
I don't think I have ever had a bad spark plug or noticed a better running motor when I changed them. From tractors, cars, trucks, boats, chainsaws......you name it. But I did change them anyway as part of a maintenance. But then again I never had motor troubles and that may be why.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it were me, I'd drop a new plug in it, plus new air and fuel filter. Even if it still runs, these parts do wear out and one every 17 years is cheap enough ....
I think I'll wait until next year now LOL mowing season is about over now.

350Rocket

Threads
I don't think I have ever had a bad spark plug or noticed a better running motor when I changed them. From tractors, cars, trucks, boats, chainsaws......you name it. But I did change them anyway as part of a maintenance. But then again I never had motor troubles and that may be why.
At least on automotive applications ignition coils seemed to fail more frequently when people didn't change their plugs on time. It might not be a big issue on older mower engines but the later ones that seem to he prone to coil failure could very well be susceptible to this problem also.
So even though everything is running fine before and after its still worth changing at a reasonable interval.

clubairth

Threads
The reason for Platinum and Iridium plugs is for longevity. That's how the car companies get the 100K mile rating for changing plugs. Now if you race or are into hi performance you will soon find out Copper is usually the plug of choice. BUT that also means much shorter service intervals like 30K or so.

I have a super charged car and have added a larger lower pulley a tune and a larger IC. My tuner says if I add a smaller upper pulley I will need to go to Copper plugs. The car is hard to change plugs so for now I am sticking with the factory called for Iridium plugs.

SamB

Threads
The reason for Platinum and Iridium plugs is for longevity. That's how the car companies get the 100K mile rating for changing plugs. Now if you race or are into hi performance you will soon find out Copper is usually the plug of choice. BUT that also means much shorter service intervals like 30K or so.

I have a super charged car and have added a larger lower pulley a tune and a larger IC. My tuner says if I add a smaller upper pulley I will need to go to Copper plugs. The car is hard to change plugs so for now I am sticking with the factory called for Iridium plugs.
I use OEM Iridium plugs almost solely because of the 'hard to change' factor on my 4.0 OHV Ranger. Oil change is a lark compared to lug changes!

enigma-2

Threads
Sorry. Us old farts have a tendency to talk about back in the day, a bit.