Stabil for Gasoline Storage?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stabil in whackers, dyt 4000, Husqy rider, and cars that sit too loo long. Never had a clog (I am dooming myself). Purposely use small capacity gas cans to force frequent turnover.. I have often seen advice to fill gas tanks to reduce air , but it always seems counter intuitive, but probably helps. Never fill anything if a tanker is filling the station tanks?
It depends on how full the station tank was when the tanker started to unload.

But how many times have you pulled into a station to fill up and the tanker just left?

seagull40

Threads
I just run my equipment week or so, just let it idle for awhile..
But that's me.

Same here. it can be a hassle if you own a lot of equipment, but it's the only thing that ever assures that things will be running right when you need them. In my experience, Stabil is worthless. Running a carb dry, as many manuals suggest, is no better.

oldwolf

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use Stabil 360 Marine year round without problems. My mower usually sits unused half through November to late March. Always starts easily with no carb gumming.

Plumberroy

Threads
I buy 12 gallon of 91 octane ethanol free gas around Nov. Add seafoam to it to have on hand for the generator. Just in case we have an ice storm any unused gas is run in my equipment in the spring. I usually don't buy gas until mid June . I have never had a problem, I have been doing this for years

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everybody has their method about storage with fuel. I don't store any of my equipment with fuel in them except the IH 184 LoBoy and the Ferris with the 36hp Briggs. The other 3 chainsaws, 2 string trimmers, 2 generators, Bunton walkbehind, pole saw, snow blower, Sears ST12, chipper, blower, hedge trimmer, push mower, tiller all just get drained and run dry. Everything gets run on regular 10% ethanol gas. I don't use stabilizer in anything and i don't have any fuel problems.
Seafoam snake oil? I don't use it for a stabilizer but i do buy it by the gallon. Does wonders for old tractors.

Lawn Addict
Threads
(snip)
Seafoam snake oil? I don't use it for a stabilizer but i do buy it by the gallon. Does wonders for old tractors.

And my Flathead Harley loves it as well as my Air tools when they need a good cleaning internally. No not Snake oil for my uses.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
And I'd add that stored gas in a metal can filled to just near the top will stay useable much, much longer than the same stored in a plastic container.

Around here, (east Texas) it goes from the refinery to the gas station. The two gas stations across from the shop has at least one truck a week refilling their supply.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everybody has their method about storage with fuel. I don't store any of my equipment with fuel in them except the IH 184 LoBoy and the Ferris with the 36hp Briggs. The other 3 chainsaws, 2 string trimmers, 2 generators, Bunton walkbehind, pole saw, snow blower, Sears ST12, chipper, blower, hedge trimmer, push mower, tiller all just get drained and run dry. Everything gets run on regular 10% ethanol gas. I don't use stabilizer in anything and i don't have any fuel problems.

Seafoam top lube is the only thing I use on 2 cy. carbs. A little dab will do ya.

I can't say I've ever stored gas for any reason. Even at home, since gas stations are on every corner, why bother storing it?

Unused equipment gets ran at least once a month, usually until there's no gas in them.
I suppose there are reasons to store gas. I just haven't found one yet.

A friend of mine told.me once about downloading movies onto his laptop, "why take up all that space on tour laptop, when you can stream the movies now a days. Let them store it on their computers.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess there are 2 types of storing. One is storing fuel for use and the other is storing fuel in equipmemt. I usuall get 20 to 30 gallons at a time in the 5 gallon gas cans. Use it up in a few months. No need for any stabilizer. All my equipment just gets run dry except the ZTR and the tractor and i just store them full over the winter. They fire right up in the spring. Ethanol and all. Everyone has their way to store equipment. If it fires up when you need it then your method worked.

seattlepioneer

Threads
Yep, everyone has their own methods for storing fuel. And they all work, until they don't....