Stabil for Gasoline Storage?

seattlepioneer

Threads
I have eliminated the use of all fuel treatments for storage about 6 years ago. I now keep a 2 gallon fuel can full in the shed and every 4-5 weeks I dump it into the truck and refill the can. This way I always have fresh fuel available.

I do the same.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the non-crystal formula of Stabil. It's in the regular bottle called Stabil. I've never seen crystals in my gas. Everything I use it in always starts like it has fresh fuel. I use it year round no issues. Heard it puts a layer on top of the fuel that keeps it fresh. Also keeps the fuel from oxidizing. Been using it for years again no problems.

Seafoam is mostly kerosene. I've never found it to work any miracles or dare I say stabilize fuel. Should call it snakeoil.

slomo

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a roto tiller which sat for over ten years with gas in the tank. I dumped a small amount of gas down the throat of the carb and it started right up.

Best advice is to just use non-ethanol gas in your small engines.

FWIW, most additives are 'kerosene.' If it says 'petroleum distillates' on the label, that's what it is.

BTW, how fresh do you think gas is when you buy it? It's had a LONG journey to get from the refinery to you.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And I'd add that stored gas in a metal can filled to just near the top will stay useable much, much longer than the same stored in a plastic container.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW,
BP down here guarantees its fuel for 3 months provided it is bought in a refinery filled & sealed container which has not been opened.

Lawn Addict
Threads
100% only for me & my toys..

seattlepioneer

Threads
<<I have eliminated the use of all fuel treatments for storage about 6 years ago. I now keep a 2 gallon fuel can full in the shed and every 4-5 weeks I dump it into the truck and refill the can. This way I always have fresh fuel available. >>

I do that too. At the end of the month I dump any excess fuel in my vehicle gas tank when I can stop at a filling station and fill up my gallon fuel tank again.

I'm still not convinced of the best strategy for over the winter, though. Any ideas for that would be welcome.

BPierce

Threads
I have eliminated the use of all fuel treatments for storage about 6 years ago. I now keep a 2 gallon fuel can full in the shed and every 4-5 weeks I dump it into the truck and refill the can. This way I always have fresh fuel available.
Best solution, right there!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
<<I have eliminated the use of all fuel treatments for storage about 6 years ago. I now keep a 2 gallon fuel can full in the shed and every 4-5 weeks I dump it into the truck and refill the can. This way I always have fresh fuel available. >>

I do that too. At the end of the month I dump any excess fuel in my vehicle gas tank when I can stop at a filling station and fill up my gallon fuel tank again.

I'm still not convinced of the best strategy for over the winter, though. Any ideas for that would be welcome.
Buy non-ethanol gas for your mowers and other small engines. If that isn't possible, use the ethanol fuel in your car and don't refill the can until lawn mower gas is needed again.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stabil in whackers, dyt 4000, Husqy rider, and cars that sit too loo long. Never had a clog (I am dooming myself). Purposely use small capacity gas cans to force frequent turnover.. I have often seen advice to fill gas tanks to reduce air , but it always seems counter intuitive, but probably helps. Never fill anything if a tanker is filling the station tanks?