ST160 Keeps throwing blade belt

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
HE was having a dig at me
With the PTO engaged you should be able to turn the engine over by pulling on the belt
If the belt slips, it is not tight enough .

OCFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put a new belt on and it spat it off after 20min in long grass I put it back on but spat it virtually straight away I'm not sure if its missing belt guides etc
Anyone got any ideas as to whats going on with it
I've got one of those. Had similar problems. I created belt guides using long bolts, spacers, and large flat washers, from deck up to covers. That fixed the occasional belt jump. I'm sure you can figure out where to put one or two....

Of course, any pulley that doesn't spin freely will amplify the problem.

Jonathan67

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the PTO engaged you should be able to turn the engine over by pulling on the belt
LOL .....Ok ill give that a go

Jonathan67

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got one of those. Had similar problems. I created belt guides using long bolts, spacers, and large flat washers, from deck up to covers. That fixed the occasional belt jump. I'm sure you can figure out where to put one or two....

Of course, any pulley that doesn't spin freely will amplify the problem.
mmm that sounds easy enough ill have a look at that

Sdrawding

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put a new belt on and it spat it off after 20min in long grass I put it back on but spat it virtually straight away I'm not sure if its missing belt guides etc
Anyone got any ideas as to whats going on with it
Is there supposed to be a tensioner?

OCFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there supposed to be a tensioner?
Yes. From the engine PTO pulley, follow the belt back to the deck. On one leg, there is a solidly mounted flat-faced pulley. On the other, there is another flat-faced pulley mounted on a swivel arm, with a heavy spring pulling it away from the PTO. The other pulleys -- one on each spindle and the other an idler -- are v-faced.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honestly not a dig at all. I'm just impressed when you answer some topics and I realize what a stupid moron I am.

You see I come from Oklahoma. We are number 48 out of the 50 states in high school graduate testing scores. Lots of morons around here (me). Funny part is all our teachers want raises again. Also did a huge teacher walk out on the students to the State Capitol, in protest. I'm thinking let's raise those test scores THEN we talk raises. Anyway Bert I think you are someone I could learn a ton from. (y)

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have always lived by the "Teach a man to fish philosophy ".
Now a lot of this is because I was taught to read and then I was taught to question what I read, and this was before I went to school .
Then an engineering / science education taught me to always look for the possible failure point and when some thing failed look for why .
Apart from repairing mowers in partnership with a friend we do electrical repairs to old British motorcycles.
Now you can not find a more simple wiring scheme , except perhaps on mowers yet I am always flabbergasted by the number of people who can nut fathom out very simple circuits .
Then there is the "Calculator Generation" followed by the "Computer Generation"
You can pick them because they post things like 9.28KΩ as if the 280Ω means anything because for them the actual number is more important that what it means or how it is created , right down to the last decimal place on the screen .

You can tell some one to gut off the purple wire & join the green to the blue , but that teaches them , and any one else reading the thread nothing unless they can understand why they are cutting off the purple wire and what joining the blue & green together does .

Over time I have had at least 20 men trying to make a living cutting grass come through the shop who were functionally illiterate and to a man I took the effort to make them understand what was happens & why what they were doing was wrong.
As such it probably cost me $ 500 or more in unbilled time but 14 of them are still customers and are now making a reasonable living despite not being able to understand my invoices unless I show them all the replaced parts & show them why they failed.
OTOH, the Husqvarna dealer sold several of them better than $ 20,000 worth of equiptment , most of which they never used and in one case happily sold him a new chain every time his saw was blunt & a new battery whenever his went flat, because he was running the engine at 1/2 speed to prevent it wearing out .

A moron is some one who is pig ignorant and refuses all attempts to educate them while perpetuating ignorant ideas , and in particular conspiracies.
You sir do not fit that bill .