Spread Sheets

Threads
I might download that, as I have trouble downloading MS Word on my computer. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I might download that, as I have trouble downloading MS Word on my computer. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I don't have a problem with MS. I got a year free but it runs out on the 8th and they want $99 to renew the subscription and the Apache Open Office is free and works just as well. I downloaded it on all my computers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Been running Open Office for better than 10 years ( ported for Linux ) on all my Macs except the Quadra which still runs Semantic Greatworks.
Works 200% better than anything Microsloth has on offer.
Opens faster, reads everything I ask it to.
Has very few holes for hackers to use to get into my computers.
Writes to really a small efficient file sizes ( about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a word file ).
Not as pretty, but pretty is bulky and slow.

Welcome to the future Ric.
You will find it is a lot better than Word as well once you get used to it.
Unless you use Word as a poor quality DTP.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Been running Open Office for better than 10 years ( ported for Linux ) on all my Macs except the Quadra which still runs Semantic Greatworks.
Works 200% better than anything Microsloth has on offer.
Opens faster, reads everything I ask it to.
Has very few holes for hackers to use to get into my computers.
Writes to really a small efficient file sizes ( about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a word file ).
Not as pretty, but pretty is bulky and slow.

Welcome to the future Ric.
You will find it is a lot better than Word as well once you get used to it.
Unless you use Word as a poor quality DTP.

I really don't think it's any better than Microsoft, I'm just not going to pay the Microsoft prices. I ran Apache before but when I got the tab I had a free year of office, same with the Computer I'm running now. I just figured if I was going to download Apache on the tab I may as well do this one. The reason everything runs slow on your computer is because you need to get into the future and buy a good computer and off that out dated 15 year old Mac. :smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it is better if what is to make fast & efficient spreadsheets and not fancy documents with embedded fonts, lots of styling and containers for things that do not belong in spreadsheets like photos & images.
Took 5 years for a friend to get his department to switch from MS Office to Open Office.
Big drop in productivity for the first year while the "Resistance" fought a rear guard battle.
Massive drop in computer & network problems made mangement happy with the first year.
!0 years down the track & the staff refused to go back to MS when they got a new director who wanted to stamp his authority on the department.
Estimated savings were in the order of $2,000,000 in licencing fees and around the same for IT downtime.
Staff satisfaction & lack of frustration is not directly measurable but it would be up there with the other figures.

Last place I had a delivery contract with went over to MS NAVS for all their warehouse & billing soft wear.
They sacked 2 employees who became so frustrated with the new system perpetually hanging that they threw their computers off their desks.
Latter on they added the PDT option to "increase productivity " and ended up putting on 4 more drivers and 6 more loaders because the system could not cope.
OTOH any board member can log in at any time day or night and see exactly where the company was, when the system crashed this time.
Laughable as the whole justification was it would intergrate the 3 separate software applications they were using and allow the head office to sack 4 staff.
It never occurred to any of the computer illeterate top management that if every part of the process from taking the orders through to final billing was done by 1 system, any glitch in any part brings the whole shooting match to a stand still.