sounds rough when I engage blades

ugabulldog

Threads
I inherited an old John Deere 111 I have been working on. Whenever I engage blades it sounds really rough. I don't see a way to adjust the belts, nor any fittings to grease. I looked up the belt #'s and they appear to be correct. Belts can't get too loose with age can they, I thought they would just break. Video below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114512000@N03/14565654974/

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I inherited an old John Deere 111 I have been working on. Whenever I engage blades it sounds really rough. I don't see a way to adjust the belts, nor any fittings to grease. I looked up the belt #'s and they appear to be correct. Belts can't get too loose with age can they, I thought they would just break. Video below:

That is a easy one Bad bearings. Look at the spindle bearings and the bearings in the double pulley.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The other video sound like bad starter drive gear.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Yes belts can stretch with age, they can also have high and low spots in the belts. If it sounds that bad you may want to consider a new set of blades or maybe sharpen and balance the blades you have.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like many bad bearings!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the belt off move the blade engage lever to engage so the the blade brake will move off the pulleys.
Now spin the blades if they spin and make noise then you need new bearings. Also spin the idler pulleys.

Also look at the covers over the pulleys they could have got bent and rubbing the pulley.

If it's bad bearings it is a cheap and easy fix.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes belts can stretch with age, they can also have high and low spots in the belts. If it sounds that bad you may want to consider a new set of blades or maybe sharpen and balance the blades you have.

I hate to say this but this been brought up before, Belts don't stretch. Yes bad spots and cracks. I know this will just bring up old arguments. Through all the years as a mechanic I sure never seen one stretch??? Come apart yes.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ha I just watched the video. Bad spindle bearings.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I hate to say this but this been brought up before, Belts don't stretch. Yes bad spots and cracks. I know this will just bring up old arguments. Through all the years as a mechanic I sure never seen one stretch??? Come apart yes.

Naw, bra straps stretch, belts don't, they wear......

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

I agree they do not stretch.
They wear down and sit deeper in the pulley giving the illusion of stretching.