Snowstorms and traffic accidents

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
K
... if you indeed own those tires how do you rate them in snow traction?

I do indeed run them and they have been nothing but incredible ...

I recommended them to a friend of mine down in Oklahoma... He puts on close to 1000 miles a wk... He has never had tires that run as well as the Hydro Edge his current set has OVER 130 thousand miles on them, they still have good tread depth and great snow traction, tho he says not quite as good as when they were new... he is going to get another set this spring. :smile:KennyV
You will not regret Hydro Edge...:thumbsup:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I drove heavy commercial straight trucks for a living during my 31 year career, often in the UP of Michigan during the worst winter weather they had. I have also driven my personal vehicles hundreds of thousands of miles during my 42 years of licensed driving, and in all that time I have NEVER gotten off the road or been stuck nor caused an accident in either my own cars or my work trucks. NEVER. IMHO the biggest cause of traffic accidents, fatilities, and geting off the road are from two "I's"...IMPATIENCE and INATTENTION. People drive too fast, follow too close, run red lights, etc. In bad weather some of the worst offenders are the reckless fools who think just because their vehicle has 4wd or AWD, they are magically immune to the laws of friction, gravity, and inertia.

Good traction is an asset, but so is common sense and caution...I drive my GMC 99% of the time during winter in two wheel drive...I do not NEED 4wd to make up for my lack of driving skill. I consider myself a (retired) professional driver and thanks for letting me have my say.

It's not just snow, here in Florida we have 2 seasons, dry and wet, everybody knows it's going to rain and everybody knows when it raining, yet there are alway a lot more accidents when it's raining.
You are absolutely correct JD, some people push the envelope and lose the gamble. It's just not worth it. Driving is, statistically, the most dangerous activity that you are likely to do. more dangerous than flying.

NickNack

Threads
What gets me is this - why are all these people out there in the middle of a snowstorm anyway? Schools are closed. There is a winter weather watch. There's a traffic advisory saying "if you don't need to go out then don't" but you see people out. What is so important????

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
Seriously, when the weather starts getting bad, if you don't have the right tires you are going to notice a difference. I never knew how important good snow tires were until I got my first car. It's pretty crazy what a change in tread can do!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What gets me is this - why are all these people out there in the middle of a snowstorm anyway? Schools are closed. There is a winter weather watch. There's a traffic advisory saying "if you don't need to go out then don't" but you see people out. What is so important????

Unlike me, who is retired, people like my wife have to go to this place called "work" or they don't get paid.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do indeed run them and they have been nothing but incredible ...

I recommended them to a friend of mine down in Oklahoma... He puts on close to 1000 miles a wk... He has never had tires that run as well as the Hydro Edge his current set has OVER 130 thousand miles on them, they still have good tread depth and great snow traction, tho he says not quite as good as when they were new... he is going to get another set this spring. :smile:KennyV
You will not regret Hydro Edge...:thumbsup:

Thanks much for your input, the CR report tested 52 different all-season tires, one group of 23 were conventional all season type, and the other two groups added 30 more in two speed ratings of performance all season tires, and of the 52 different tires CR rated a total of 24 tires "fair" or "poor" in snow traction. The Hydroedges were rated "fair" in snow traction but the very best of the group of 52 in tread life...

I will get a set of the Hydroedges for my replacements, I would trust a recommendation from a LMF member over the whole group of CR testers, THANKS MUCH. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AndyMan

Threads
It's also important that your tires be properly inflated. Underinflating or overinflating can both reduce the actual traction that your tires get, regardless of what they were designed for.