small, front tire question

The Chairman

Threads
Two options then...

Option #1) Fix the flat...
  • over-inflate the tire a bit and put it in a tub of water to find the leak.
    • Don't forget to mark it well with a crayon
  • Deflate tire
  • Break beads on both sides of the tire from the rim
  • Making sure the opposite bead slides into the "drop down", carefully pry the beads off of the tire on the same side
    • Cussing is optional
  • Buff, glue and patch the hole
  • Reinstall and inflate tire

Option #2) Use slime
  • Go to the store and buy Slime
  • Deflate tire
  • Pump in the required amount of slime
  • Inflate tire and go for a ride to spread slime
  • No cussing needed
    • But a Margarita would be nice!

I worked as a mechanic for thirty years with half of those years with Goodyear Tire and Rubber. The smaller the tire, the more difficult they can be. While I would never use fix-a-flat, and especially not in a passenger car or truck tire, I don't mind using slime on turf tires.

Hustler27

Threads
Well, option two sounds desirable. Can I spray it in and then start to mow (whenever I can get the last blade to come off for replacement?) Or does it need to set over night etc?

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tyre slime does not work particularly well in mower tyres
They do nor spin fast enough or get hot enough to work properly.
Most of them will attack the paint & rust the rim
IT only ever gets used here when a customer demmands it gets put in.
The bumf from Stens says their new brew does not rust rims then again they said the old brew did not promote rust either.

Hustler27

Threads
Well damn. I just got back from the store with a bottle of slime and was going to ask how to figure out how much to put in. Now that's a bad idea because it's going to ruin the rims? Not shaping up to be a good day here. Bought a breaker bar, as was suggested, to get the stuck on blade off and all that did was give me a round bolt after two tries. Lawn needs to be mowed and I still have a tire I can't drive on and a blade I can't replace. :(

keakar

Threads
Follow up. I just watched a few videos about fixing the front small tire and none of them involved anything with the tube, just the tire. How do I know there is a tube to replace for sure? Maybe it is the tire itself?

Thanks.
the valve stem either seals to the rim with a fat ring lip or it doesnt and is narrow

as for tubes in tires, most will be tubeless and when they start leaking air people pop in a tube because in most cases you wont wear out the tread on the tire unless you are going way to fast in turns. front tires you can buy for like $25 but the rear tires you will pay around $50 for those so $10 tubes make a lot more sense

keakar

Threads
Well damn. I just got back from the store with a bottle of slime and was going to ask how to figure out how much to put in. Now that's a bad idea because it's going to ruin the rims? Not shaping up to be a good day here. Bought a breaker bar, as was suggested, to get the stuck on blade off and all that did was give me a round bolt after two tries. Lawn needs to be mowed and I still have a tire I can't drive on and a blade I can't replace. :(
well that sucks, if cutting the bolt head off doesnt solve it then go to ebay and buy a new spindle, most come with new top pulley and blade mounting bolts. chances are the bearings in yours are shot so i would just go ahead and replace them while you are doing all of this

some spindles are as cheap as $25 depending on your model part number is

and always always always use never seize on the blade bolts and just tighten it good but , DO NOT CRANK DOWN ON IT SUPER TIGHT

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As already mentioned, cut the head off & replace the bolt .
Fix a flat works better on mower tyres than slime
On the bottle should be volume of slime for the size of tyre.
A small front tyre uses about 1/2 pint and will only work if there is a hole in the tread
Most mower tyres end up leaking through cracks in the sidewalls
To fix them you have to put in enough to fill the tyre at least to the rim.

Hustler27

Threads
well that sucks, if cutting the bolt head off doesnt solve it then go to ebay and buy a new spindle, most come with new top pulley and blade mounting bolts. chances are the bearings in yours are shot so i would just go ahead and replace them while you are doing all of this

some spindles are as cheap as $25 depending on your model part number is

and always always always use never seize on the blade bolts and just tighten it good but , DO NOT CRANK DOWN ON IT SUPER TIGHT

What do you use to cut the bolt head off? This sounds like another expense.

I'll look into spindles and see what they cost. That sounds cheaper than the $30 breaker bar I just bought tonight.

I'll buy some never seize for the bolts when I put the new blades on. First time I've ever changed blades, so I'm sure it's because I left them on too long in the first place.

Hustler27

Threads
As already mentioned, cut the head off & replace the bolt .
Fix a flat works better on mower tyres than slime
On the bottle should be volume of slime for the size of tyre.
A small front tyre uses about 1/2 pint and will only work if there is a hole in the tread
Most mower tyres end up leaking through cracks in the sidewalls
To fix them you have to put in enough to fill the tyre at least to the rim.

Help me out here with your experience I guess? Previous post said use slime and never use fix a flat.