Small engine carb flooding

bluefitness

Threads
If no kit is available and you open the carburetor up only to find you need parts such as a sunk float (is that an oxymoron?) or a bad needle/seat then you have only one option. You can certainly try though.

Rivets, I have worked on some of these Chinese made 4 wheelers and it's like most things from China - some good and some bad. Kazuma is the brand that shows up most around here and most of them are average but as bluefitness is finding out, parts are difficult to find locally and have to be purchased online most of the time. I try to stay away from them as much as possible but when friends who bought them for their kids ask me to help them I find it difficult to say no.

I'll try removing the bolts and seeing what I find. If I can't clean it, I will likely just buy a new one. I could try to find a similar needle, but it will likely be more trouble than it's worth.

Do you know what those parts are that I was referring to in my second post? I'm guessing one is for engine shut down, but I don't know what the other one is.

Lawnranger

Threads
I also have a couple more questions regarding carburetor operation. There is a solenoid on one side of the carb that has a needle. It appears that it is energized when the ignition is in the on position. Is this a fuel shutoff valve? Is this used to shut off the engine (stops fuel going through the idle orifice).

On the other side of the carb, there is small assembly with spring and hose. What is the purpose of this assembly?

Here is a link that shows the carb:

http://www.atv4usa.com/UTV150 Parts Catalogue-Small.pdf

The part on the top right of the diagram looks like an anti-backfire/afterfire solenoid similar to what is used on riding lawnmowers to prevent fuel flowing in the main jet when the ignition is turned off. By preventing fuel flow with the ignition off, backfiring upon shut down can be eliminated.

The other part with the spring & hose could be, depending where the other end of the hose goes, some sort of crankcase vent but I'm just guessing.

chance123

Threads
This isn't a lawn mower, but I was hoping someone would have some general knowledge regarding small engine carbs. When I start the engine, the engine runs at high rpms and gas dumps out of the overflow. I'm thinking the float needle isn't seating properly. I tried to clean the assembly by spraying carb cleaner into the float and letting it soak overnight. Unfortunately, I can not disassemble the float without the use of an ez out extractor. There are no heads on the bolts.

I'm debating on whether I should purchase a new carb or try removing the bolts and replacing them. Do you think a float stuck in the open position is causing my issues? What else could it be?
Man, that float bowl (only) looks just like the bowl in my Honda 550. When I had to clean that carb, the "X" in the 4 phillips head float bowl screws was rounded, but I was fortunate to be able to use a small vice grip on the outer edge of the screws, to break them free.

bluefitness

Threads
So, I ended up replacing the carb. It would flood after startup. It would shoot fuel out of the overflow. I figured it is either a sticking float or the electronic choke is letting too much fuel into the carb. The new carb came with a new choke. It ran great for a little while and now it is not starting again.

Would valves needing adjustment cause starting problems? How can I check the ignition system to see if it is getting spark? I haven't opened it up yet, so I'm just trying to think ahead.