sltx 1054 drives slower aan slower on slopes

kingjames1

Threads
Almost five year old cub, 356 hours.
Cut grass only with this machine.

Recently our cub started slowing down as you cut the grass on a slope. (This came on suddenly.) If you let the mower sit for an hour it'll go again but slow down on slopes after a short time to just barely moving. I put on a new belt and idler spring hoping it was just slipping. It didn't fix it. I checked the brake and it seems to be free. Please don't tell me the tranny is going after just 4 seasons of cutting. Thanks.

logan01

Threads
Almost five year old cub, 356 hours.
Cut grass only with this machine.

Recently our cub started slowing down as you cut the grass on a slope. (This came on suddenly.) If you let the mower sit for an hour it'll go again but slow down on slopes after a short time to just barely moving. I put on a new belt and idler spring hoping it was just slipping. It didn't fix it. I checked the brake and it seems to be free. Please don't tell me the tranny is going after just 4 seasons of cutting. Thanks.
If it's a hydrostatic tranny and has a reservoir, check the fluid level. Regardless, I'd change the fluid/oil (tranny).

kingjames1

Threads
It's a hydro-stat but the manual says it's sealed. The Professional manual tells you how to change the oil but I'm not sure I want to tackle that. It's just hard to believe the tranny would go out after 4 summers of just cutting grass. I had a John Deere we cut grass with and plowed snow ... in the snow belt. I have some pretty impressive pictures of that. I beat that tractor up plowing snow. That tranny lasted 7 years and people said that Deere didn't come with a heavy duty tranny. I wonder if this Cub tranny has a bad history. Thanks for your suggestion.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It really sounds like low oil.
After sitting a while all of the oil is in the reseviour feeding the pump.
As soon as you start moving it gets distributed all over the place, level feeding the pump gets low & pump starts pumping air & you go nowhere.
Only other thing could be a bypass valve stuck slightly open but that will usually be a constant loss of power.
However it is a cheap test so open the bypass & do an air purge if you have the instructions for that.
Final and most obscure problem could be a sheared key in the drive pulley but I am not sure if your mower has one.
When the key is sheared the mower will respond to light loads but the pulley will spin free on the shaft when the load gets heavier.

kingjames1

Threads
alright, I'll give it a go. Thanks again.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It really sounds like low oil.
After sitting a while all of the oil is in the reseviour feeding the pump.
As soon as you start moving it gets distributed all over the place, level feeding the pump gets low & pump starts pumping air & you go nowhere.
Only other thing could be a bypass valve stuck slightly open but that will usually be a constant loss of power.
However it is a cheap test so open the bypass & do an air purge if you have the instructions for that.
Final and most obscure problem could be a sheared key in the drive pulley but I am not sure if your mower has one.
When the key is sheared the mower will respond to light loads but the pulley will spin free on the shaft when the load gets heavier.

If its a sealed unit it's probably not going to have a reservoir. I'd almost bet if your going to try and change the fluid you'll end up pulling the whole unit out. I think I'd take the thing to the shop and let the professionals take care of the problem.

logan01

Threads
If its a sealed unit it's probably not going to have a reservoir. I'd almost bet if your going to try and change the fluid you'll end up pulling the whole unit out. I think I'd take the thing to the shop and let the professionals take care of the problem.

Yeah, I changed my old JD sealed unit. Removed it all. Removed the vent plug, rolled it over and let it drain for an hour or so. Refilled through the vent with the recommended amount. Refilling took a while however there was a significant improvement on slopes and in reverse. It had been used and abused before I got it. Believe after my L120 the tranny got upgraded (K66) to one having a drain plug and reservoir. It's now used for my rough cut stuff.

If OP decides to do this, make sure the cooling fan is in good condition.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Sealed unsealed or supplied in a plain brown paper bag the pump still has to have a reseviour it pumps from otherwise it is pumping air.
Not all of them are external with a fill cap.
Only politicians believe "if you can not see it it does not exist"