Slow crank issues

Working on a Poulan Pro with 19 hp briggs motor. When I start hit the key, it turns about one rev. and stops, then another turn and stop, eventually it does start. It runs fine otherwise. I have replaced the starter, no improvement. So I ran a 6 gauge wire from the battery to a solenoid, then the starter. Still no improvement. Battery is fully charged, and brand new wire to the new starter. I'm stumped, any ideas?
Check your valve lash
 
Working on a Poulan Pro with 19 hp briggs motor. When I start hit the key, it turns about one rev. and stops, then another turn and stop, eventually it does start. It runs fine otherwise. I have replaced the starter, no improvement. So I ran a 6 gauge wire from the battery to a solenoid, then the starter. Still no improvement. Battery is fully charged, and brand new wire to the new starter. I'm stumped, any ideas?
Check the voltage on the starter when you try to start the engine it should be 11 volts or higher if not try jumping the solenoid large wires if engine turns over replace solenoid
.
 
Working on a Poulan Pro with 19 hp briggs motor. When I start hit the key, it turns about one rev. and stops, then another turn and stop, eventually it does start. It runs fine otherwise. I have replaced the starter, no improvement. So I ran a 6 gauge wire from the battery to a solenoid, then the starter. Still no improvement. Battery is fully charged, and brand new wire to the new starter. I'm stumped, any ideas?
RichF28 the B&S single cylinder OHV engines are notorious for being hard to start when the valves get out of adjustment or the decompression release fails to work. Simple test take the spark plug out put some thing over plug wire so the spark won't ignite any gas, then sit in the seat and turn the key if it spins over quick with limited compression reset the valves and try again with the plug in if its still a hard start its the decompression relief on the camshaft. Good luck. I just waited on a customer with the same issue.
 
Working on a Poulan Pro with 19 hp briggs motor. When I start hit the key, it turns about one rev. and stops, then another turn and stop, eventually it does start. It runs fine otherwise. I have replaced the starter, no improvement. So I ran a 6 gauge wire from the battery to a solenoid, then the starter. Still no improvement. Battery is fully charged, and brand new wire to the new starter. I'm stumped, any ideas?
Usually its the valves not set right
 
Put a battery's Neg connection rite to the engine block and touch the Pos directly to the starter. This eliminates the wiring within mower. If it turn fast then you have a bad ground or Pos connection somewhere.
 
You need a new cam. Compression release is notorious for breaking on that motor. Its built on the cam. One revolution an and stops is a dead giveaway.
 
Just a question but are all the compression release valves built with the non adjustable valves? Or did they come with valves that need to be set also?
 
Nearly all small engines with ACR are one with solid lifters (tappets) and solid type push rods. And yes they all have adjustable rockers.

Now with hydraulic lifters usually don't have adjustable rockers as the lifters are self adjusting. Also the push rods maybe solid of hollow depending on the engine's design.
 
because mower starters are low power devices , designed to stall if the engine is hydrolocked rather than blow the gaskets or bend the pushrod or crack the head.
You have to remember than vertical shaft engines are made exclusively for mowers and mowers are very price sensitive .
Thus they are made as cheap as possible so all of the parts are as weak as possible , because weak is both light & cheap .
A slightly stronger starter can overcome the compression of the engines and Kohler use a stronger starter in their engines than b & S do .
 
Back
Top