Simplicity Regent Tuff Torq K56A-SMP hydro transmission

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Simplicity Regent Tuff Torq K56A-SMP hydro transmission
sorry, i meant to reply to Tom3, about the changing the gear oil.
Scrub that why we need to quote the post we are relying to as to not confuse those that are already confused.?

Rob O.

Forum Newbie
Threads
No drain plug. Unit must be removed, item 8 (sealing cap) and 6 (filter) removed, and turned upside down and drain thru the hole. Also I would recommend changing the main oil filter (item 21) while the unit is upside down as there are a few captive items that will fall out otherwise when you remove the oil pan (lower case). one is item 20. Item 8 should also be replaced as they will age and crack leading to water intrusion.
View attachment 55093

Also 1686788SM is the current replacement for the 1693528 mower.

1720092 (superseded to 1720092SM) is a K56A-8MP
1717194 (superseded to 1686788SM) is a K56A-SMP
1717194 was just a newer version of the K56A. Per the above IPL image all K56A are the same unit internally. It just some of the internal parts have been upgraded.

Just be aware this is a $2000+ transaxle. Comes with pulley kit but may not come with the fan.
Awesome and Thank You. I think that’s the info that I was looking for. So, as per your information, they are interchangeable. I always assumed they were due to the Tuff Torq K56A model number but I wasn’t sure. Much appreciate the information.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hydros are much like cube carbs
Most are built into the same body and are identical inside
where the difference occurs in variants is the placement of the controls , the type of fitment of the controls.
Then there is the length , thickness & retainers on the end of the input shaft.
Plus the same parameters for the axels.
Thus any hydro can be replaced with almost any other.
'However to make them work you may need to fabricate new connections between the box and the controls.
And you may need to change the axels or use the wheels that were originally fitted to the replacement hydro.

As you go up usually the only difference is the displacement of the pump & motor and in many cases a bigger one can be fitted to upgrade the box.
They have to be made like this to take advantage of economies of scale
If each box was totally different internally they would have a starting price of $ 5000 not $ 1500 .

I have done this on more than one occasion as I inherited a large number of rear engine hydros that I have been fitting into tractor style mowers

Rob O.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hydros are much like cube carbs
Most are built into the same body and are identical inside
where the difference occurs in variants is the placement of the controls , the type of fitment of the controls.
Then there is the length , thickness & retainers on the end of the input shaft.
Plus the same parameters for the axels.
Thus any hydro can be replaced with almost any other.
'However to make them work you may need to fabricate new connections between the box and the controls.
And you may need to change the axels or use the wheels that were originally fitted to the replacement hydro.

As you go up usually the only difference is the displacement of the pump & motor and in many cases a bigger one can be fitted to upgrade the box.
They have to be made like this to take advantage of economies of scale
If each box was totally different internally they would have a starting price of $ 5000 not $ 1500 .

I have done this on more than one occasion as I inherited a large number of rear engine hydros that I have been fitting into tractor style mowers
Great to know. Thank you