Simplicity Regent Tuff Torq K56A-SMP hydro transmission

Rob O.

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Simplicity Regent Tuff Torq K56A-SMP hydro transmission
Does anyone know the difference in theTuff Torq K56A-SMP Hydro transaxle? Simplicity has 2 part numbers. 1717194 and 1720092. Are they interchangeable? Differences? I think my 1720092 is on it’s last leg but the 1717194 is much more popular and easier to locate. I just don’t know if it will swap out easily.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post your tractor model numbers so we can cross reference to the tranny.

Rob O.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rivets and thank you for responding. I have a Regent 15 HP Hydro model # 1693528. I bought it in 2000 and it has been a great mower. I just overhauled and reconditioned the entire machine and stuck a bit of $$$ into it. I like the fact that it’s reliable and don’t really want to replace it with one of today’s “throw away” machines. But I’m worried about the tranny........

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, but I’m not going to be of much help. I’ve tried to find the differences between the two trannies, but keep getting roadblocks, because we’ve just got Simplicity numbers not Tuff Torq numbers. I can offer this suggestion if you have the bar code numbers off each tranny. With these numbers you can contact Tuff Torq directly with a phone call and they can help you out. I’ve found them extremely helpful and friendly when dealing with them. This website shows what you will need before calling. https://www.tufftorq.com/tuff-torq-barcodes/

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked at both units on Ebay, (used and pretty expensive even at that). Don't see any major differences and with the same Tuff Torq basic model number I'd guess they are pretty much interchangable. Maybe a different wire connector or something that you could swap from the old one. Have you ever changed the oil in your trans? There is a lot of info on the net about those Tuff Torq hydros and videos on Youtube on servicing them.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
All dependent upon the trans having a drain plug.

Rob O.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked at both units on Ebay, (used and pretty expensive even at that). Don't see any major differences and with the same Tuff Torq basic model number I'd guess they are pretty much interchangable. Maybe a different wire connector or something that you could swap from the old one. Have you ever changed the oil in your trans? There is a lot of info on the net about those Tuff Torq hydros and videos on Youtube on servicing them.
I have never changed the oil. I’ve watched a few videos and seen some of the results that went bad. Guess I’ll give it a try. Not much to loose. I hate the thought of replacing it with a $300 used tranny that MAY or MAY NOT be good.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no way any of us would know for sure unless we had both units sitting in front of us. If you want to know for absolutely sure, you’ll have to do what I said early, contact Tuff Torq. Make sure you have all the numbers or they won’t be able to help you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No drain plug. Unit must be removed, item 8 (sealing cap) and 6 (filter) removed, and turned upside down and drain thru the hole. Also I would recommend changing the main oil filter (item 21) while the unit is upside down as there are a few captive items that will fall out otherwise when you remove the oil pan (lower case). one is item 20. Item 8 should also be replaced as they will age and crack leading to water intrusion.
Tuff K56.JPG

Also 1686788SM is the current replacement for the 1693528 mower.

1720092 (superseded to 1720092SM) is a K56A-8MP
1717194 (superseded to 1686788SM) is a K56A-SMP
1717194 was just a newer version of the K56A. Per the above IPL image all K56A are the same unit internally. It just some of the internal parts have been upgraded.

Just be aware this is a $2000+ transaxle. Comes with pulley kit but may not come with the fan.

Last edited: