Simplicity 4000 throttle assembly

Threads
I've got the brakes working as they should.

The next problem is that be mower deck belt i bought according to the numbers on the sticker under the hood is too long.
The pulleys for the knives are barely moving when they are supposed to be engaged.

The patience for this is now running out.
Should have saved up some cash and bought one for a thousand bucks instead so i don't have to waste all my spare time on this old crap.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Patience is right, it sure does take plenty at times. You can pat yourself on the back for all your hard work, be proud! Newer Simplicity tractors are not as tough, durable, as older models. I think that can be said for most mowers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Old mowers take time to keep running but will run for a very long time.
New ones require very little maintenance and usually have no adjustments so they last a very short time.
You really need to get an operators , parts & service manual.
Most of them are on the Simplcity web site for a free download.
When you come to a problem look read ask then buy parts.
The brake rotor was fine it would have cleaned up to be servicable, I have never replaced the pins, again some wire brush work & they will be servicable.
All that ever gets replaced is the pads and there is nothing special about them I cut them from a long length of motorcycle brake pad material I bought 30 years ago for relining shoes on vintage motorcycles.

Remember it is a lawnmower, not a space shuttle.
If you keep replacing servicable parts it will end up being very very very expensive.

patience costs nothing, impatience cost a lot.

Same story with the gearbox these manual gearboxes are rebuildable and in most cases it is nothing more than the shift keys because people do not bring the mower to a standstill before changing gears.
Because Peerless no longer exists, most of the big parts companies list all the parts as NLA but in reality they are available from a lot of places, particularly in the UK .
These old tractors are really a single speed mower.
The box is used to select the speed range that will be suitable for what you are doing and you stay in that gear.

So when you come to a problem, ask first before you start ordering parts we will probably end up saving you a lot of money.
As you have already found out pictures work wonders particularly when English may not be your first language because for the bulk of the people here English is their only language.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In post number 10 the diagram shows you have key slot axles. Have you checked to see if you actually have the keys in the slots? Wouldn’t be the first time someone removed the wheels and lost the keys. Without the keys the axle will turn, but not the wheels.

Threads
The new gearbox and brakes work as they should now.

The engine is working as it should.

The last problem is that the belt ordered from the number on the sticker under the hood is too long.
I don't know how to approach this. First i thought there was a missing pulley on the mower deck but not according to the drawings i have.
I can't just order more belt in random sizes so that they maybe will fit.

beltrouting.jpgbeltrouting.jpg

According to the illustration i have done the belt routing right.partlist.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belts length in the USA is the outside diameter because the rest of the world uses inside diameters.
So if you ordered a B92 from a Scottish shop you will end up with a USA B 95 ( 3 " longer ).
If it was an A section belt it would be 2" longer.
Just about all of the information on the web in English originated from the USA so their belt sizes will be outside lengths
According to Gates it is 70" outside circumference,

Threads
Belts length in the USA is the outside diameter because the rest of the world uses inside diameters.
So if you ordered a B92 from a Scottish shop you will end up with a USA B 95 ( 3 " longer ).
If it was an A section belt it would be 2" longer.
Just about all of the information on the web in English originated from the USA so their belt sizes will be outside lengths
According to Gates it is 70" outside circumference,

Ahh
Both on the belts i ordered came from the UK. If i order a new belt from the us it should be the right one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
before we go spending money , we check things and the easiest thing to check is the length of the belt , in inches, just in case there is a different problem.
I am not all together sure as the number on your Pix belt is the same as the Simplicity part number and that is a bit suspect so lets ave the belt length for starters.

Threads
before we go spending money , we check things and the easiest thing to check is the length of the belt , in inches, just in case there is a different problem.
I am not all together sure as the number on your Pix belt is the same as the Simplicity part number and that is a bit suspect so lets ave the belt length for starters.

Yes i thought so too. It is strange that a belt with the right part number isn't the correct one.

I will try to find something i can measure the belt with tomorrow.