Shorted deck clutch??

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
How would i tell if my deck clutch is shorted? When I engage the clutch it blows the 20 amp fuse every time. I have checked for shorts in the wires, and have found nothing. I would assume the deck clutch is somehow being shorted inside? From what I have read on this forum It seems to be shorted to ground.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have a VOM and know how to use it? Need to check continuity to ground. If you have it, your clutch is bad.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
that stands for Volt Ohm Meter right?? Let me see if I have one

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
meter 1388.jpg this is the meter I have sorry they are so blurry

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
It has the ohms symbol on it, but what do I set it at test the clutch?

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
it also seems from what I have read here that there is an air gap that may need to be adjusted?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the meter set to ohms disconnect the plug and check each side to earth.
A reading other than infinity shows you have a short.

Adjusting the air gap on clutches that are adjustable will not change the electricial side of the clutch, just how well it transferrs power to the blades.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
I have another clutch that i may just put on to test in and see

also I have been reading on the forum that if you unplug the pto clutch and start it and test it that way is that right?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO TEST IF YOU UNPLUG IT??? Micah, you keep jumping around and don't listen to the replies you receive. If you have a VOM, it should have come with an instruction manual, which will how to make continuity tests. If you don't have a manual, there are many sites and videos which will show you how to use it. Yes, earth is another term used for ground. As I have said before, it is time for you to do a little research on your own, before everyone on this forum decides not to help you. We are here to help you, but you have to do some things on your own.

PS: It wouldn't be a bad idea to check with your school shop instructor or local library, to see if they have any books on Small Engine Repair. In your case they would be of more value than service manuals.