SD Raptor hydraulic leak

teezee70

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having lived in a four season environment for 70 plus years, I have not seen weather affected seals and gaskets on our equipment vehicles. Also, searching of the affects of cold on rubber I see references that it expands, not contracts. I'd be skeptical that the weather snap caused the leak.
You are very correct on that. Being an Auto mechanic all my life and being around for 73 years rubber acts that way. It's the metal that reacts differently. On the filters you have two different metals that react to cold and contact differently so the loosen and different rates. If the filter is already not tighten properly. ( I admit I didn't tighten might properly). They could leak.
I am not saying that this is the problem just that this was my problem and a possibility.

Born2Mow

Threads
The area around the fan is "sweating", which I consider normal.

"Leaking" on the other hand would be coming from something below the fluid level. It has to be down low to leak that kind of volume. So you need to show us photos from the bottom looking up.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The dusty areas are not the leak you are looking for. The big leak will leave a clean trail.

Born2Mow

Threads
The big leak will leave a clean trail.
In the old days, we used to dust the area with talc to help us see the oil. The talc would stick to the oil, but not the dry metal.

ILENGINE is right, you can't see fresh oil on a metal case.

Bill_in_Texas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the item repaired. There were leaking O-rings on the brake shaft which is at the bottom in front of the spindle shaft. It was much more that I wanted to deal with. Thanks for the advice and for whoever posted the PDF for the transaxles, it was very helpful.

Born2Mow

Threads
Thank you !! It's nice to have someone come back and tell us "the rest of the story".

Glad you had a good ending.