Scag Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

2manyboats

Forum Newbie
Threads
First time SCAG owner

Hello everyone. I am new to the zero turn world, except for having watched them work, wondering why anyone would use anything else for mowing large areas. I bought this SCAG Tiger Cat used, a 2012 with only 240 hours on it. This thing is a tank. My reason for purchase is to rough cut some acreage I own that is currently very heavily wooded, but being cleared of understory brush a little at a time. No, I am not using it for that, but to mow weeds and grass in the cleared areas. Last weekend I was mowing through weeds 4 feet tall on rough terrain- no rocks, just bumpy. As long as I went slow enough to keep the RPM's up, she chewed through everything, clearing about 5 acres in a couple of hours. My kidneys may never be the same...

tony75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello...I have a SCAG Tiger Cub I bought used in 2017. It's a 2004, rebuilt Kawasaki engine, 48" deck. Hydraulics work great no leaks. This winter, I'm getting the rear rims and deck sandblasted and powder coated. After using it summer of 2017, I don't know why anyone would ever own anything other than a SCAG or similar commercial mower. Love it and will never turn back.

Txjape

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I'm JP -I am Head Groundskeeper for a local Little League. We maintain 16 baseball fields with roughly 40 acres of turf to manage.

We own three Scag ZT Mowers (Turf Tiger, STT72A-27KA; Wildcat, STWC52V-26KA-LC; Cheetah, SCZ48V-25CV).

We have accumulated these over the years and weren't terribly forward thinking when making the purchases. The 48" has the flexibility to get into tight areas in our common areas, but with so much turf and so little labor (and funds) available, the 52" deck on the Wildcat is not as productive as the Turf Tiger and its 72" deck.

I've got two objectives:
A) acquire the largest compatible deck for the Wildcat;
B) improve and fine tune the cutting performance of my fleet, including balancing and leveling an aged and abused 72" Advantage deck on the Turf Tiger, and potentially installing a mulch kit on the machines to help reduce the size and visibility of the clippings (with 16 baseball fields and 26 acres inside the fences, it isn't feasible to bag them).

The fields we maintain have Bermuda turf.

To begin, can anyone speak to the largest compatible deck for the Wildcat (26HP LC Kawasaki), and second, I just cannot seem to get the Advantage deck level regardless of how I've adjusted the tension bars. Is it likely the entire deck could be bent? On a level surface, I'm get a level reading on the deck, but the left front and right rear caster wheel do not touch the ground (even when adjusting the bar to the point there is slack in the chain).

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Luffydog

Threads
jack it up and look at the blades tip to tip and 180 tip to tip for bent blades if think they r bent pull off to verify not sure get new blades then put back and repeat. if good and not off after replacing. google how to level your deck. be easier than trying explain how. if u come up with nothing post back.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
jack it up and look at the blades tip to tip and 180 tip to tip for bent blades if think they r bent pull off to verify not sure get new blades then put back and repeat. if good and not off after replacing. google how to level your deck. be easier than trying explain how. if u come up with nothing post back.

99% of your leveling issues with a Scag are going to be tire pressures. We have seen instances where two or three pounds difference in rear tires will make a noticeable difference.

If you are cutting that much grass then you need to changing blades daily or more. than once daily.

Some times we cut over 25 acres in a day with three Tiger Cats with 52" decks.

Richandtd

Threads
Hello everyone I currently have a jd x324 an 07 runs great with a 48” deck. I cut about 5 acres a week. Bought it new and I am looking into getting a diesel scag with 61” cut. I’m a retired ENC (SW) USN and want to get my last mower in life; that will be reliable and get good fuel economy. The x324 does a good job but i want to spend less time mowing and more time entertaining wife and our Boston Terrier. Was at first thinking of a Bad Boy but from my research Scag is a better machine. Lots of intresting information here.

Luffydog

Threads
When you start looking and comparing from brake handles to seats and the plastic it will be a no brainer to you. Orange is the better way to go.

HammerheadC4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, I got my first ZTR about a week ago. It's a Scag Liberty Z with a 21hp Kawasaki and a 48 inch deck.
I got to mow with it once so far. I like it very much.
I had considered a Exmark Quest S and a Ferris 400s. For my use I'm sure anyone of them would have served me well.
I had purchased some small outdoor power equipment from the Scag dealer before, and had purchased my Massey GC1710 from the Ferris dealer.
I just felt the Scag dealer was the best dealer for this purchase.

Attachments

• 100_0945.jpg
    100_0945.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0947.jpg
    100_0947.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0949.jpg
    100_0949.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 9

P7K3

Threads
Good luck with your new Liberty, I bought one last summer. Love it!!!

madmaxglass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I'm Mike from Maryland. Owner of a Scag Tiger Cub 42 v. Cut 4 acres of lawn and meadow at my homestead. Can't wait for warm weather.