Ryobi ZT480E - No Movement, but blades turn on.

ford.brad

Threads
Good Afternoon All,
I recently picked up a Ryobi ZT480E, the 75AH variant for relatively cheap. Everything appears to work, except for the motion. I've already ruled out the seat sensor as the blades will engage normally, but will not when the connection is removed. What's interesting is the beeping I hear from the Safety Interlock System only triggers when I move the left side control arm, but does not for the right side control arm. I am expecting the issue is either a limit switch or the accelerator on the right side, but neither part seems to have a part number in the diagrams. I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue or maybe a product specific diagnostic manual like the one J provided for the RY48110. Thanks for any experience you can share.

(As an aside, I do know the 75AH SLA are terrible and likely to die within a year. Once they do the plan is to replace with ~200AH of LiFePO4 and a 150A BMS)

ford.brad

Threads
StarTech, this manual is everything I could ask for. Thank you. I was able to verify it was an issue with the hall effect sensor as it did 8 beeps. I did double check the transducer by swapping the left and right control arms and still managed to get motion on my left wheel. I am planning to get some gator clips tomorrow to make it a little easier to swap between the channels, but I did see the expected 0-5V between yellow and black hall sensor wires.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
StarTech, this manual is everything I could ask for. Thank you. I was able to verify it was an issue with the hall effect sensor as it did 8 beeps. I did double check the transducer by swapping the left and right control arms and still managed to get motion on my left wheel. I am planning to get some gator clips tomorrow to make it a little easier to swap between the channels, but I did see the expected 0-5V between yellow and black hall sensor wires.
Good thing you know how to work on this mower. Most shops will not work on a Ryobi battery powered tool or up to a mower. I will not work on gas Ryobi handheld equipment or battery anything.

ford.brad

Threads
Good thing you know how to work on this mower. Most shops will not work on a Ryobi battery powered tool or up to a mower. I will not work on gas Ryobi handheld equipment or battery anything.
I've read as such from the forum posts. It's part of why I got such a good deal. I feel confident I can trace down the problem, though most of my tools are not ryobi.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

I don't know why you avoiding the 2 cycle Ryobi (TTI) handhelds. Now some techs just hate 2 cycles of all types. My brother was one of them.

I can understand the lack of parts for the battery powered handhelds. They are just as easy to fix as if they were a Homelite, Poulan, or other handheld 2 cycle. Just finding the IPLs and parts are harder sometimes. Depending on your distributor PartSmart will have the IPLs. I just repaired two Ryobi chainsaws last week.

For me Gardner is the TTI parts distributor.

Even this RY48ZTR75 IPLs are listed on the Gardner PartSmart. Those sensors (they calling them Accelerators) doesn't have a PN listed. I need to get with Gardner tech support to see if they can provide a PN for the sensors only or what assembly they are part of.

Can you verify where the sensors are located in the control boxes (I have yet to see one these battery ZTRs in my shop)? If they are the control assemblies are about $160 list and apparently they are failing a lot as the vendor only has over 500 in stock.

We all will have a steep learning curve on these battery powered mowers just as we did when EFI first came out for automobiles. So all got to pull together what knowledge we got and share for the benefit of all of us.

ford.brad

Threads
I don't know why you avoiding the 2 cycle Ryobi (TTI) handhelds. Now some techs just hate 2 cycles of all types. My brother was one of them.

I can understand the lack of parts for the battery powered handhelds. They are just as easy to fix as if they were a Homelite, Poulan, or other handheld 2 cycle. Just finding the IPLs and parts are harder sometimes. Depending on your distributor PartSmart will have the IPLs. I just repaired two Ryobi chainsaws last week.

For me Gardner is the TTI parts distributor.

Even this RY48ZTR75 IPLs are listed on the Gardner PartSmart. Those sensors (they calling them Accelerators) doesn't have a PN listed. I need to get with Gardner tech support to see if they can provide a PN for the sensors only or what assembly they are part of.

Can you verify where the sensors are located in the control boxes (I have yet to see one these battery ZTRs in my shop)? If they are the control assemblies are about $160 list and apparently they are failing a lot as the vendor only has over 500 in stock.

We all will have a steep learning curve on these battery powered mowers just as we did when EFI first came out for automobiles. So all got to pull together what knowledge we got and share for the benefit of all of us.
The Accelerator or Angle Transducer is located within the control arm assembly. (Photo of Homelite 997144001 Control Arm Assembly, Left)
1710336346521.png
When I contacted PartsTree . com about the accelerator/transducer they responded 'these part numbers don't exist because they are only part of the entire harness and cannot be sold separately.'

The only thing I found online for it so far is maybe a supplier or clone of it from a company called "YEAPHI". Looks very similar, but only has the one photo.

1710337099486.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well that BS from Partstree as it being part of the harness when the 997144001 image clearly shows it on it. And do your leg work on the 997144001 as my distributor listing for a lot less retail.
1710345140285.png

And wiring harness doesn't show those sensors as part of it.
1710345395820.png

Now here is something you could do pull one of the control arm assembly and look for the OEM of sensor and their part number. A lot of the time it would be there. Then you could search for that part number.

ford.brad

Threads
Well that BS from Partstree as it being part of the harness when the 997144001 image clearly shows it on it. And do your leg work on the 997144001 as my distributor listing for a lot less retail.
View attachment 68028

And wiring harness doesn't show those sensors as part of it.
View attachment 68029

Now here is something you could do pull one of the control arm assembly and look for the OEM of sensor and their part number. A lot of the time it would be there. Then you could search for that part number.
Luckily I think my transducers are fine. I did snag a part number off the left control arm of TJ563A YP 201218(photo attached) for anyone trying to source one.

Attachments

• 20240313_144357.jpg
    20240313_144357.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 10

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Available on alibaba. The problem is the info is in Russia.

1710365332931.png