RX75 2 Black Wire's not connected

CaptHwdy

Threads
that is why you need to print copies of the wiring diagram, after determining it is for your model and serial, and follow ALL the wires in that area to see if anything else has been changed. Most likely yes but I would not make that assumption without following the other wires in those two areas to be sure none are altered.
ok i got the Serial Model # M0RX75X480576 but i can find a wire diagram. the one i have say's

RX SN 498,493-
SX SN 481,333-

What am i missing? would like to get this running so i can mow up at my camp instead of using a push mower

Carl.Cook

Threads
My Son was given a JD RX75 and we tried to start it and there is 2 Black wire not connected. One on the Starter Solenoid under where the wire to the starter is connected. the other is coming from under the seat from the relay. can anyone tell me were those to connect to?
Assuming the solenoid in the below picture is the same as yours, it's a basic solenoid used for decades in automotive, aviation, farm, marine, and many more. The two smaller wires should be the switch that activates the solenoid, and the large wire circuit is connected by the solenoid to supply power from the battery to the starter. The solenoid should receive negative power from the frame connection and the positive power from an internal connection from the battery side of the solenoid. Good luck with the troubleshooting.

CaptHwdy

Threads
Assuming the solenoid in the below picture is the same as yours, it's a basic solenoid used for decades in automotive, aviation, farm, marine, and many more. The two smaller wires should be the switch that activates the solenoid, and the large wire circuit is connected by the solenoid to supply power from the battery to the starter. The solenoid should receive negative power from the frame connection and the positive power from an internal connection from the battery side of the solenoid. Good luck with the troubleshooting.
I do not see a pic. I took off the purple wire off the left side of the Solenoid and turn the battery pack on and nothing. hooked up the purple wire back on and it tries to start so it's in there were something is wrong?

Carl.Cook

Threads
I do not see a pic. I took off the purple wire off the left side of the Solenoid and turn the battery pack on and nothing. hooked up the purple wire back on and it tries to start so it's in there were something is wrong?
Someone else posted a pic. Does your solenoid have two small wire posts? If so does crank when purple is connected without key on? Is the black wire same size and connection as purple? If all is "yes" then purple and black may be reversed or key switch is stuck in "start" position, which happens often with the cheap switches.

CaptHwdy

Threads
Someone else posted a pic. Does your solenoid have two small wire posts? If so does crank when purple is connected without key on? Is the black wire same size and connection as purple? If all is "yes" then purple and black may be reversed or key switch is stuck in "start" position, which happens often with the cheap switches.
yes there is 2 small wire's purple/black and when the purple one is connected it start's if i take that purple wire off it don't start. i tried putting them on the other terminal and still same thing. but i have noticed that there is a red wire jumped with the purple wire that goes under the seat some were. if i take that red wire off leave the purple on it don't start. i 'm not using the key switch when i try to start the mower. i have a jump pack . i even unplugged the key switch same thing when i turn the jump pack back on

Carl.Cook

Threads
yes there is 2 small wire's purple/black and when the purple one is connected it start's if i take that purple wire off it don't start. i tried putting them on the other terminal and still same thing. but i have noticed that there is a red wire jumped with the purple wire that goes under the seat some were. if i take that red wire off leave the purple on it don't start. i 'm not using the key switch when i try to start the mower. i have a jump pack . i even unplugged the key switch same thing when i turn the jump pack back on
It's sounding more like a key switch and I assume the red wire is supplying power to the solenoid. You can bypass the key switch with single pole switch to ground the magneto for off and another switch to engage the solenoid. I did this on a couple of mowers in the past since the key is the same for all mowers why do I need a key? Will it start with the purple off but the red still connected to the solenoid?

CaptHwdy

Threads
It's sounding more like a key switch and I assume the red wire is supplying power to the solenoid. You can bypass the key switch with single pole switch to ground the magneto for off and another switch to engage the solenoid. I did this on a couple of mowers in the past since the key is the same for all mowers why do I need a key? Will it start with the purple off but the red still connected to the solenoid?
the red wire is crimped on to the purple wire with a spade connector and then goes under the seat in a wire harness connected to somewhere . even if i don't have the key switch plugged in? i unplugged the harness from the key switch. i don't even have the key switch turned on i'm using the jump pack to start the mower it has a on and off on it

CaptHwdy

Threads
ok so the 2 red wires from the solenoid and the purple wire goes into one side of the fuse then the other side of the fuse goes to 2 connectors on the key switch. i'm not sure i have the right wire diagram for this mower this is getting really confusing

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_121422 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210608_121422 (2).jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 5

CaptHwdy

Threads
ok do you have a wire schematic to do this?

Carl.Cook

Threads
ok do you have a wire schematic to do this?
Sorry no schematic, I have only repaired my own or friends equipment over the years. If it is not electronic it should be simple to rewire using a 12v circuit tester. Most equipment I have seen over the years could have been designed to avoid early failure. Equipment that vibrates damages wires and tubing unless protected from friction. Wires and tubing that touch, pass through unprotected metal, or are too tight and subject to early failure. Modern equipment have switches to ensure safe operations, but not so many they can't be checked. Many times the relays and plug connections just need to be unplugged spray with WD40 and reconnected. If the mower runs with a jumper then all major parts are working. Check all relays, connectors, and wires for corrosion. Use a circuit tester to ensure wires are providing power. You said it was a used mower and someone else may have bypassed a relay or bad wire and left the old wire in place. If it runs and operates safely, I would not worry a out factory correct. Good luck