rtz 50 spindle bent?

GregW1966

Forum Newbie
Threads
2004 rtz 50 Mower with new blades leaving a high spot. Looked underneath, far right cutter, farthest from the discharge, the new blade seems to be angled. Not dragging on the underside of the deck. I did not notice when mounting the new blades. It was cutting badly leaving the high spot prior to changing the blades. The blades were 2 yrs old and were in bad shape. Seemed to cut better. I was out of town for 2 weeks and the lawn was tall. Got on and mowed. That out side blade was leaving a strip almost uncut about half the width of a blade. I kept going and going back over what was missed. The deck kept clogging with clippings, got so bad is stopped cutting. PTO on, no cutting blades not turning. So I stopped jacked the front end to power wash the deck. It was pretty bad. Thats when I noticed the blade at an odd angle. I needed to finish so I did blowing the clippings on to the already cut lawn rather than straight line mowing. That seemed to help the clodding. I need to fix this. So questions are. Since the balde is not bent it has to be the axle, the mounting, the spindle or the deck. Pulley seems find and belt is tracking properly. I know I need to get back under there, but has anyone else had this problem? I replaced a spidle before so I know the axle is pretty thick and the spindle and mounting are cast and the deck is sheet metal. Any guesses as to what is wrong? Also why would the blade bog down to the point that they would stop turning? The rubber guide on the discharge had been gone for years. Is that part of the clogging problem or was the lawn just to tall and juicy? Do you think the electric clutch is OK? What to check first? I dont think the blade was wobbling, seems like I would have felt the vibrations. Plus if wobbling the uncut strip would be intermittent, right? It is not and is very consistent. Thanks for all input. Greg

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a cust with a rtz50 have the center spindle completely break out of the deck from stress cracking around the mounting bolts. That was a fun fix. Had another one cutting uneven and the outside spindle was leaning because the deck around the outside bolts was cracked out. Look at the deck around the spindle mounting bolts for cracking letting the spindle lean.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
flip the belt off & spin the baldes
a bent spindle will show as the blade wabbleing as it rotates because like a bent blade, one side will always be high & the opposite will always be low so they will alternate as it spins
A broken mandrel housing or bent deck the blade will spin out of alignment so both sides on the blade will be high on one side of the deck & low on the other.
Grab the blade & try rocking it see-saw fashion both left right & font back really hard

Mower King

Threads
Had a cust with a rtz50 have the center spindle completely break out of the deck from stress cracking around the mounting bolts. That was a fun fix. Had another one cutting uneven and the outside spindle was leaning because the deck around the outside bolts was cracked out. Look at the deck around the spindle mounting bolts for cracking letting the spindle lean.
These Cub Cadet RZT stamped steel decks are notorious for cracking / breaking where the spindle bolts on, caused from hitting stuff with the blades, I have seen a ton of them come in our shop for repair as i'm sure all techs have. A customer just brought one in Tues with the deck all cracked and broken and had these for me to put on. I'd never seen them before but, not a bad idea really....still had to straight the deck mounting holes though!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 5

GregW1966

Forum Newbie
Threads
Saw that on ebay! I was looking at the last nigjt online, Do you think it will last a while? Yeah I had to have the lift brackets welded back on the deck. Thanks tho' if it gets me thru the fall I will be thrilled. Not wanting to buy/ build a new deck for a mower this old and under powered. I'd like you guys opinion on that spindle saver thing? Thanks again G

Mower King

Threads
Saw that on ebay! I was looking at the last nigjt online, Do you think it will last a while? Yeah I had to have the lift brackets welded back on the deck. Thanks tho' if it gets me thru the fall I will be thrilled. Not wanting to buy/ build a new deck for a mower this old and under powered. I'd like you guys opinion on that spindle saver thing? Thanks again G
Any added metal & support can only be a good thing, not enough of both is why they crack in the first place.....well, hitting debris with the blades starts it all!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
These Cub Cadet RZT stamped steel decks are notorious for cracking / breaking where the spindle bolts on, caused from hitting stuff with the blades, I have seen a ton of them come in our shop for repair as i'm sure all techs have. A customer just brought one in Tues with the deck all cracked and broken and had these for me to put on. I'd never seen them before but, not a bad idea really....still had to straight the deck mounting holes though!
What abut posting a PN for that re enforcement ring. I might want to get a couple sets for stock here.

Mower King

Threads
What abut posting a PN for that re enforcement ring. I might want to get a couple sets for stock here.
I don't have a part #, the customer handed them to me in a zip-lock bag. I have since seen them on flea-bay though!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just my luck. Something that would help and no part number. Oh I just keep on welding them ears back on.