RPM Question

NCMau

Threads
Last year I bought a G5500 class (24 HP Briggs), 54 Craftsman garden tractor and I have a question about the RPM. According to the manual, the gas throttle supposed to be almost max whether the mower is engaged or not. I can understand the full gas when using the mower, but using the tractor for towing a small garden trailer would seem a waist of gas and unnecessary engine wear. I checked the RPM where the gas throttle supposed to be and it was 3100 RPM. Do I really need to crank it up that high when not using the mowing function?
For the past 20 years (and still use it), I have been using an old Yazoo, 18HP Wisconsin TJD with a 60 deck. I usually keep the gas throttle at 1800 RPM. I realize that this Wisconsin engine is not a Briggs, most likely has a longer stroke and even though it is 30 years old, it probably will outlast the Briggs.
I appreciate your input on the RPM issue.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The rpm is more to do with engine cooling than output. running the engine at a lower rpm under load causing more engine heat. the lower rpm turns the cooling fan slower therefore less cooling air going through the cooling fins on the cylinder and head.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also if it is a hydro drive. It is made to operate at full throttle.

NCMau

Threads
Thanks. That's the confirmation I needed.