Buying Advice Review of my Honda HRX217HYA

lambs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought an HRX with the smartdrive tranny, but was using a 17 year old HRB215 with the plastic deck. The deck never once caused any problems, but the tranny finally gave up the ghost. I am thinking about replacing the transmission and keeping it for a spare mower!

But I so far really like the HRX. Smart Drive takes a little getting used to, but I think it is definitely more efficient than mowing with the 2 speed HRB. I intuitively slow down and then realize I could go faster on the straight sections, so I push it a little harder. It rolls well too without the Smart Drive. Ball bearings at all four corners surely helps.

One surprise today was the HRX belched a big cloud of blue smoke on start up. But it ran great and cuts anything very well. I think the dealer went a little too far on adding that initial shot of engine oil. Will change it in a couple weeks for the first time and see if that helps. My HRB smoked a lot at start up, but it also was 17 years old. It never started on first pull though...usually on 4th pull.

Threads
I just bought an HRX with the smartdrive tranny, but was using a 17 year old HRB215 with the plastic deck. The deck never once caused any problems, but the tranny finally gave up the ghost. I am thinking about replacing the transmission and keeping it for a spare mower!

But I so far really like the HRX. Smart Drive takes a little getting used to, but I think it is definitely more efficient than mowing with the 2 speed HRB. I intuitively slow down and then realize I could go faster on the straight sections, so I push it a little harder. It rolls well too without the Smart Drive. Ball bearings at all four corners surely helps.

One surprise today was the HRX belched a big cloud of blue smoke on start up. But it ran great and cuts anything very well. I think the dealer went a little too far on adding that initial shot of engine oil. Will change it in a couple weeks for the first time and see if that helps. My HRB smoked a lot at start up, but it also was 17 years old. It never started on first pull though...usually on 4th pull.

Continue to keep us posted! :smile:

lambs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will try and keep you posted. I did speak to the dealer this week, and they thought it might just need to seat the rings properly. They asked that I keep an eye on it and bring it in if it doesn't improve. They're a great dealer, also servicing my Stihl saws, and I trust them. That's why I bought the mower from them. Heck, it was even at the HD price.

Giblet

Threads
I have a 20 year old HR215 and when I filled the oil to the full mark on the dip stick, it would bellow out white smoke for the first two minutes until she warmed up. This happened since day one. But then, many years ago, I started filling the oil half way on the dip stick, and haven't seen smoke since. My two cents...

GRUMBLEBUM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have owned a Honda HR 21 self drive unit for almost 25 years !!@
other than a few services and then some blade sharpening .. Never a care, never a problem and always starts 1st or at worst 2nd time@!
They just make the BEST MOWERS IN THE WORLD!!

pleer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought this mower 3 weeks ago and love it. I have many garden beds with bark mulch. Just set the versa system on full bag and go around the edges without any clippings dropped on the mulch bed. When I am off the mulch area,I lean down and switch to full mulch and off in an instant, happily mulching along. The cut is beautiful w/o observable mulch left behind. Once you use the self propel hydrostatic system, you won't want to go back to other types. I can slow down using the clutch going down a gradual bank and pull clamp back to go up the hill never touching the speed adjuster. Works like a dream. This mower is well worth the extra cost just from a convenience stance alone yet alone the quality. I didn't buy the HZA because this mower starts on first pull and doesn't need electric start.

Penzzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do any of you know whether the Honda dealer version of this mower is different than the Home Depot version of this mower?

Thanks!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do any of you know whether the Honda dealer version of this mower is different than the Home Depot version of this mower? Thanks!

Same model built in the same place by the same people.
It is the same.