restoring 1996 MTD yard machine

96MTD

Threads
Hi everyone. Don't know if this is the right section to post this thread in, but here I go anyway. I have A 1996 MTD yard machine, 46 inch deck, and a 18 hp twin Briggs and Stratton engine. This thing looks like its been road hard and put up wet. It has been neglected for a while, and I wanna make it like new. At one time, It cut grass very good, and was a great mower. Not so much anymore. So far I have I have removed the foot panels and the rear fender piece. I've removed some parts of the engine, but Id like to get the whole thing off. The deck has came off, I will post some pics as soon as I can. I like this mower a lot because it has a lot of power and USED to cut grass amazingly. Id like to have that same mower back again. Any helpful tips or comments along the ''restoration'' would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sound like it will be a fun project for you. The mower deck is the thing that gets all the miss use so that is where I would start. This will tell you if the rest of the tractor worth restoring.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My advice is take pics as you go.
I rebuilt a 98 model two years ago. If you go to MTDPARTS.com. You can look at diagrams of how everything goes.

The older mtd 46 inch tractors are bad *** it will go anywhere and cut anything.
Post some pics on here as you go.
And ask for help if you need to

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
There it is.:cool: Im also trying to get this engine off, but there is this pulley that's holding it back. Whats the easiest way to remove this pulley so I can get the engine off? [URL=http://s792.photobucket.com/user/jbees2/media/lawnmower/100_0934_zpse0fa457d.jpg.html][/URL]

Put a pipe wrench on the pulley shaft to hold it from turning and take the bolt out.
The pulley might just slide off with a little help. If it does not then I will say good luck.
You can try a puller but most times it just bends the pulley or you can tap it with a hammer. I said TAP not knock the hell out of it.

96MTD

Threads
Alright. I got the bolt out of the pulley, but its not sliding off and I don't want to bend it with a puller. but I don't see any place where I could tap it with a hammer to loosen it. How am I gonna do this? Also would anyone happen to know the paint codes for the gray and green?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Alright. I got the bolt out of the pulley, but its not sliding off and I don't want to bend it with a puller. but I don't see any place where I could tap it with a hammer to loosen it. How am I gonna do this? Also would anyone happen to know the paint codes for the gray and green?

I used hunter green.
image-2514406755.jpg

You can unbolt the engine and put a strap on it and lift the engine up letting the pulley support the weight of the mower and jiggle the mower around.
Spray some pb blaster on it.

I find that it is best to maybe just get a new pulley and get the old one off anyway you can. On my 98 mtd I could remove the plate that the belt guide screws into and pull the engine with the pulley on it.

bwdbrn1

Threads
PB blaster, or some other penetrant, soak, wait, apply, soak, wait...and so on. Put a puller on it and apply a little pressure and heat.