Export thread

restoring 1996 MTD yard machine

96MTD

96MTD

Hi everyone. Don't know if this is the right section to post this thread in, but here I go anyway. I have A 1996 MTD yard machine, 46 inch deck, and a 18 hp twin Briggs and Stratton engine. This thing looks like its been road hard and put up wet. It has been neglected for a while, and I wanna make it like new. At one time, It cut grass very good, and was a great mower. Not so much anymore. So far I have I have removed the foot panels and the rear fender piece. I've removed some parts of the engine, but Id like to get the whole thing off. The deck has came off, I will post some pics as soon as I can. I like this mower a lot because it has a lot of power and USED to cut grass amazingly. Id like to have that same mower back again. Any helpful tips or comments along the ''restoration'' would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Sound like it will be a fun project for you. The mower deck is the thing that gets all the miss use so that is where I would start. This will tell you if the rest of the tractor worth restoring.

Carscw

Carscw

My advice is take pics as you go.
I rebuilt a 98 model two years ago. If you go to MTDPARTS.com. You can look at diagrams of how everything goes.

The older mtd 46 inch tractors are bad *** it will go anywhere and cut anything.
Post some pics on here as you go.
And ask for help if you need to

96MTD

96MTD

There it is.:cool: Im also trying to get this engine off, but there is this pulley that's holding it back. Whats the easiest way to remove this pulley so I can get the engine off? [URL=http://s792.photobucket.com/user/jbees2/media/lawnmower/100_0934_zpse0fa457d.jpg.html][/URL]

Carscw

Carscw

There it is.:cool: Im also trying to get this engine off, but there is this pulley that's holding it back. Whats the easiest way to remove this pulley so I can get the engine off? [URL=http://s792.photobucket.com/user/jbees2/media/lawnmower/100_0934_zpse0fa457d.jpg.html][/URL]

Put a pipe wrench on the pulley shaft to hold it from turning and take the bolt out.
The pulley might just slide off with a little help. If it does not then I will say good luck.
You can try a puller but most times it just bends the pulley or you can tap it with a hammer. I said TAP not knock the hell out of it.

96MTD

96MTD

Alright. I got the bolt out of the pulley, but its not sliding off and I don't want to bend it with a puller. but I don't see any place where I could tap it with a hammer to loosen it. How am I gonna do this? Also would anyone happen to know the paint codes for the gray and green?

Carscw

Carscw

Alright. I got the bolt out of the pulley, but its not sliding off and I don't want to bend it with a puller. but I don't see any place where I could tap it with a hammer to loosen it. How am I gonna do this? Also would anyone happen to know the paint codes for the gray and green?

I used hunter green.
image-2514406755.jpg

You can unbolt the engine and put a strap on it and lift the engine up letting the pulley support the weight of the mower and jiggle the mower around.
Spray some pb blaster on it.

I find that it is best to maybe just get a new pulley and get the old one off anyway you can. On my 98 mtd I could remove the plate that the belt guide screws into and pull the engine with the pulley on it.

bwdbrn1

bwdbrn1

PB blaster, or some other penetrant, soak, wait, apply, soak, wait...and so on. Put a puller on it and apply a little pressure and heat.

96MTD

96MTD

I got the engine off, and im trying to get some of the grease and dirt off the frame with oven cleaner.[URL=http://s792.photobucket.com/user/jbees2/media/100_0937_zpsd69e85ca.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s792.photobucket.com/user/jbees2/media/100_0936_zps9eb45f01.jpg.html][/URL]

Attachments

exotion

exotion

Oven cleaner is good just be careful it can take powdercoating off. I usually use purple power also I like your engine stand :)

Carscw

Carscw

Your going to want to clean it real good after putting oven cleaner on it. Maybe even sand it down. Paint does not stick well after oven cleaner. You can rinse and rinse and it's still there.

96MTD

96MTD

I will make sure to sand it down real good and remove any oven cleaner that's left. Im trying to get the factory colors for the frame, wheels, and hood, foot panels, etc. Going to start sanding tomorrow, and hopefully I can get some factory paint for this thing. And thanks exotion. My expensive engine stand works great.

Carscw

Carscw

I will make sure to sand it down real good and remove any oven cleaner that's left. Im trying to get the factory colors for the frame, wheels, and hood, foot panels, etc. Going to start sanding tomorrow, and hopefully I can get some factory paint for this thing.

Did you try MTDPARTS.COM

Might be able to get the paint

96MTD

96MTD

Did you try MTDPARTS.COM

Might be able to get the paint

Have not checked yet, but I sure will take a look!

96MTD

96MTD

There are so many different greens and grays that mtd makes. Im not sure which ones are the ones im looking for. Ill just take different pieces to NAPA and have them match it.

96MTD

96MTD

Got it primed with the help of my chickens.:wink: Still waiting on some paint though.[URL=http://s792.photobucket.com/user/jbees2/media/100_0951_zpsdc2ec787.jpg.html]http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy209/jbees2/100_0951_zpsdc2ec787.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/URL]

bwdbrn1

bwdbrn1

Very talented and helpful chickens you have there.:rolleyes: Looks like you're making good progress.

96MTD

96MTD

Napa couldn't get the one That I wanted so I'm getting some matched by a painter nearby. Should have it painted by next week, Which will give me time to start on the engine!:confused3:

silver1

silver1

Great job getting the engine pulley off! What was the method that worked? I never got mine to budge...scrapped the motor!

96MTD

96MTD

Great job getting the engine pulley off! What was the method that worked? I never got mine to budge...scrapped the motor!

Well, I took the bolts that hold the motor down, And picked the engine up as high as it would go with the pulley attached. Someone tapped the top of it with a hammer, and it broke loose. I wish I would have used a chain or something to hold the engine up instead of me!

96MTD

96MTD

Alright. Found out today Ill have the paint by Tuesday. Gonna start tearing down the engine tomorrow. Also, does anyone know where I can get gaskets, filters, etc. stuff like that for the engine? Thanks.

Carscw

Carscw

Alright. Found out today Ill have the paint by Tuesday. Gonna start tearing down the engine tomorrow. Also, does anyone know where I can get gaskets, filters, etc. stuff like that for the engine? Thanks.

Take your engine numbers and try napa or a small. Small engine shop.

metz12

metz12

that base looks really cool for a go kart build. that might be a future project for me.

96MTD

96MTD

It really would. I was planning on doing that, but I need a grass cutter more than a go kart. Will have some pics of the engine today.

metz12

metz12

I think my mtd is similar to yours. But you have a cool opposed twin, i only have a briggs flathead 12.5hp. I like mine. Cuts pretty nice and havent done anything to it besides change the oil and the blades.

96MTD

96MTD

Sorry for not posting pics, I've lost my SD card. Still waiting on the paint, but trying to get the tires off. Having some trouble getting one of the rear tires off. Its rusted onto the axle. What is the easiest way to get a rusted wheel off an axle? Also, how can I get overspray off some tires? I heard brake fluid does the job. Thanks.

Carscw

Carscw

Sorry for not posting pics, I've lost my SD card. Still waiting on the paint, but trying to get the tires off. Having some trouble getting one of the rear tires off. Its rusted onto the axle. What is the easiest way to get a rusted wheel off an axle? Also, how can I get overspray off some tires? I heard brake fluid does the job. Thanks.

I take the rearend off the mower
Put two 2x4s together so the wheel sits on them and the rearend is hanging under them so all the weight is being supported by the wheel put a block of wood on the axle and hit with a hammer.

96MTD

96MTD

I really didn't want to take the rear end off the mower. Is there any other way to do this?

Carscw

Carscw

I really didn't want to take the rear end off the mower. Is there any other way to do this?

Flip the mower on its side and lift it by the wheel?

Don't try hitting it off with a hammer. You will bend the wheel and could break the C clip in the rearend that holds the axle in.
You can heat the wheel up and tap it off or just cut it off and get a new one.

You already have to whole mower taking apart just take the rearend out

exotion

exotion

Flip the mower on its side and lift it by the wheel?

Don't try hitting it off with a hammer. You will bend the wheel and could break the C clip in the rearend that holds the axle in.
You can heat the wheel up and tap it off or just cut it off and get a new one.

You already have to whole mower taking apart just take the rearend out

Besides if you take it off thats another area you can clean and inspect that you couldnt get to before.

silver1

silver1

I hit mine with a 2x4 and broke the ring clip inside the axle, and it came right out, wheel and axle together.
Took both to a motorcycle repair shop and with the help of a 12 TON press we separated the two! Took the axle
apart and replaced the clips on both axles.
I have another axle assembly that both wheels are frozen to the axles. I tried some of the suggestions from this forum and
and nothings has worked. I put tubes in both tires and they are still up. The rear end is one of dirtiest parts!
Remove and clean. Paint frame inside and out. Repair tires. Get to work mowing!
:biggrin:

metz12

metz12

if you flip the thing sideways, you can try melting a cheap candle and melt the wax between the wheel and the axle. i know this works with the transaxle pulleys that are stuck on the input shaft.

searsboy

searsboy

if you flip the thing sideways, you can try melting a cheap candle and melt the wax between the wheel and the axle. i know this works with the transaxle pulleys that are stuck on the input shaft.

I've seen that on YouTube really cool and it worked for the man in the video. The steps to take are simple in the video too.

R

Rknash48

96mtd provide the pictures is great!