Replacement battery

rhkraft

Threads
Chose the higher cranking amps for the extra power. By the way, if you own a single engine general aviation airplane or know someone who does, you can use a used airplane battery that is no longer adequate for the airplane. Most of these airplanes use 100 to 180 hp engines and require a high-quality battery. While the batteries for small planes are only 225 CCA, the quality of these batteries and the cell density is so superior these batteries cost $300-$400. The benefit is that that airplane batteries are designed to crank 180 HP engines, so when it gets too weak for that, they still have more power than you will ever need for a 20 HP lawn mower. Fortunately, these batteries are physically the same size as most lawn mower batteries ( 7.7 inch L, 5.18 inches W, 6.8 in H., take measurements before you go to the airport). Some are sealed, others require distilled water just like most, older lead-acid batteries. The caps: however, are screw-in and don't leak if the battery is knocked over. They are designed for aerobatics. Lastly, many of these used batteries are NOT returnable so the Airport mechanic, FBO, has to dispose of them. Might just give you one!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always try to get the highest capacity battery I can for any mower. As lead acid batteries age they lose capacity. The higher the capacity, usually listed as CCA, the longer the battery will last.
Interesting fact. I take a battery tester with me that will measure actual CCA when I go to buy a battery. I look for the battery with the highest capacity. I have seen batteries vary by more than 50 CCA and voltages all over the place. I always wonder how many batteries are last years stock? I look to see if there is a date on them.

TonyPrin

Threads
I always try to get the highest capacity battery I can for any mower. As lead acid batteries age they lose capacity. The higher the capacity, usually listed as CCA, the longer the battery will last..
I don't recall a battery lasting less than 3 or more than 5 years, car, truck, or mower. Clearly high CCA batteries are designed to outlast lower CCA but I'm mindful of the cost, given that batteries seldom go beyond 60 months and aren't reliable long before that.

PGB1

Threads
If there is one near you, Advance Auto Parts has that size up to 425 CCA.

Paralled banks of dozens of U1R size with high "reserve" amps (what CCA is called in this instance) is common for emergency redundant transformer transfer systems. If you strike out finding a battery, a large electrical supplier can order it. (Maybe McMaste-Carr or Grainger, too.)

Paul