Export thread

Replacement battery

D

donb108

I have an older Craftsman riding mower (70's vintage: 502.251220) that has a dead battery; it's label says it's a EU1R, with 300/370 CCA. Walmart (and others) sell EU1R lawn and garden batteries, but seem to be only 230 CCA. Lots of places seem to offer this battery size; is this an OK size for my mower?

Attachments

StarTech

StarTech

Strange as I just pickup a U1R 350CCA battery from Rural King here.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Riding mowers today can typically use 230 CCA batteries and 300 CCA batteries are found in larger engines. Cost may be the only difference you see but I can't say whether it's OK for your mower. It may help to know the temperature range you use your mower.

D

donb108

I'm in south Louisiana, it's pretty warm here. It has a 10 hp engine; I don't know what the original battery was, only that the 370cca always seemed to work. Is there something about the 230cca batteries that make them work in all mowers, or are they just selling cheap batteries?

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I'm in south Louisiana, it's pretty warm here. It has a 10 hp engine; I don't know what the original battery was, only that the 370cca always seemed to work. Is there something about the 230cca batteries that make them work in all mowers, or are they just selling cheap batteries?
Walmart typically offers 230,275, and 350 CCA mower batteries. You can use a 230 CCA battery in a single cylinder, and need to step up to a 275 CCA for a twin cylinder. Generally, the larger the cold cranking amps, the longer and more reliable the battery will be. Periodically trickle charge the battery throughout the year, and you will double the life.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

CCA is a measure of starting power at 32 degrees (which is not an issue in Louisiana) but is also an indication of overall starting power. Higher CCA batteries are apt to last longer and be better at starting. Overall, I recommend you get the highest CCA available at a reasonable price.

StarTech

StarTech

CCA is a measure of starting power at 32 degrees (which is not an issue in Louisiana) but is also an indication of overall starting power. Higher CCA batteries are apt to last longer and be better at starting. Overall, I recommend you get the highest CCA available at a reasonable price.
CCA is at 0F not 32F. CA is at 32F.

I just install a 350 CCA that has 410 CA.

CCA = Cold Cranking Amp
CA = Cranking Amps

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

CCA is at 0F not 32F. CA is at 32F.

I just install a 350 CCA that has 410 CA.

CCA = Cold Cranking Amp
CA = Cranking Amps
I agree, my mistake. Of course, the point is the same. The issue is of lesser concern in Louisiana versus some more northern states.

D

donb108

I found one at Walmart, 340cca for $49.99; close enough!

StarTech

StarTech

You be surprised how darn cold it gets here South Central Tennessee. And sometimes it is sudden drop too. This last we hit -10F. When it did I hugged my heater to keep it warm.

I can't raise peaches here for the cold snaps in the Spring killing the fruit and I am just 6 mile further North than I use to be where I had fruit every year.

R

rhkraft

Chose the higher cranking amps for the extra power. By the way, if you own a single engine general aviation airplane or know someone who does, you can use a used airplane battery that is no longer adequate for the airplane. Most of these airplanes use 100 to 180 hp engines and require a high-quality battery. While the batteries for small planes are only 225 CCA, the quality of these batteries and the cell density is so superior these batteries cost $300-$400. The benefit is that that airplane batteries are designed to crank 180 HP engines, so when it gets too weak for that, they still have more power than you will ever need for a 20 HP lawn mower. Fortunately, these batteries are physically the same size as most lawn mower batteries ( 7.7 inch L, 5.18 inches W, 6.8 in H., take measurements before you go to the airport). Some are sealed, others require distilled water just like most, older lead-acid batteries. The caps: however, are screw-in and don't leak if the battery is knocked over. They are designed for aerobatics. Lastly, many of these used batteries are NOT returnable so the Airport mechanic, FBO, has to dispose of them. Might just give you one!

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I always try to get the highest capacity battery I can for any mower. As lead acid batteries age they lose capacity. The higher the capacity, usually listed as CCA, the longer the battery will last.
Interesting fact. I take a battery tester with me that will measure actual CCA when I go to buy a battery. I look for the battery with the highest capacity. I have seen batteries vary by more than 50 CCA and voltages all over the place. I always wonder how many batteries are last years stock? I look to see if there is a date on them.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

I always try to get the highest capacity battery I can for any mower. As lead acid batteries age they lose capacity. The higher the capacity, usually listed as CCA, the longer the battery will last..
I don't recall a battery lasting less than 3 or more than 5 years, car, truck, or mower. Clearly high CCA batteries are designed to outlast lower CCA but I'm mindful of the cost, given that batteries seldom go beyond 60 months and aren't reliable long before that.

P

PGB1

If there is one near you, Advance Auto Parts has that size up to 425 CCA.

Paralled banks of dozens of U1R size with high "reserve" amps (what CCA is called in this instance) is common for emergency redundant transformer transfer systems. If you strike out finding a battery, a large electrical supplier can order it. (Maybe McMaste-Carr or Grainger, too.)

Paul