Racing Lawn Mower Project

silver1

Threads
I have seen the throttle on the steering wheel and right foot.
It used a foot pedal from a Snapper Comet! It was not for a racing
mower, just a Mud machine.

Patrick40

Threads
Big progress this weekend:

- Lowered rear fenders are bolted on and attached firmly
- New dashboard is installed
- New hood is installed and is much more sturdy and grounded than the previous
- Both front and rear pulleys are removed; will be ordering replacements next week
- Floorboards are lowered and attached
- Steering column is secured

Pictures to come this week!

jacksmurray

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey im new here, ive been looking for a forum like this for a while, i had a question about the old murray i have its a 1984 model 12hp riding, im gettin a 20 horse for it, i was wondering if there are any transaxles from other mowers that will fit it and where i can get one

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
hey im new here, ive been looking for a forum like this for a while, i had a question about the old murray i have its a 1984 model 12hp riding, im gettin a 20 horse for it, i was wondering if there are any transaxles from other mowers that will fit it and where i can get one

Why do you want to replace the transaxle is it broke?

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

jacksmurray

Forum Newbie
Threads
yea my transaxle got hit with something and a whole chunk of the case is missin, i can see gears and pertynear still my hand thru the hole, and it also has a crack at the bottom of the pulley shaft

silver1

Threads
yea my transaxle got hit with something and a whole chunk of the case is missin, i can see gears and pertynear still my hand thru the hole, and it also has a crack at the bottom of the pulley shaft

(One picture is worth 1000 words) We need numbers to help. Make/Model number. A lot of trans-axles will fit the chassis, but the shifter linkage is different.
LB

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: The hole in your transaxle could be from the reverse chain exiting the case. They usually blow the back side out. As far as the transaxle, what is the MN:, there should be a tag riveted to the case under the brake rotor.

Patrick40

Threads
:smile: The hole in your transaxle could be from the reverse chain exiting the case. They usually blow the back side out. As far as the transaxle, what is the MN:, there should be a tag riveted to the case under the brake rotor.

That's good advice, Buckshot 1.

For those of you that have been following this forum, I thank you for your interest. I will be posting some pictures tomorrow to give y'all an updated look as to how this mower project is working out. I also plan on adding the new exhaust piece very soon; I've gotten both the front and rear pulleys added (7" and 3.5" respectively). This project is really starting to take shape. Within the next few weeks, I hope to fire the motor up, add a new throttle cable, and a tethered kill switch.

jacksmurray

Forum Newbie
Threads
well guys im gettin a old craftsman for free so i guess my problems solved, but that hole was shattered it was where the pully meets the housing, it was cracked bad and really loose, as soon as i get my new mower this weekend ill start my own thread and if yall are interested in a hotrod lawn mower you should check it out and maybe even gimme some advice

Patrick40

Threads
Sounds awesome! Let us know when the thread is posted.