Export thread

Racing Lawn Mower Project

Patrick40

Patrick40

Hello everybody!

I'm looking to build a racing mower out of a late '80s Craftsman 12 HP rider. I've already taken care of the brake assembly and have some thoughts about smaller tires, air filter and front-end weight for better steering and traction.

My only question is about the rear pulley; I have a 9" rear pulley that I just uninstalled as I'm now on the search for a 5" rear pulley. Where could I find a rear pulley that fits the existing diameter fitting? Could an engine pulley or idler pulley work?

Just looking for some ideas here before I buy anything stupid. My model number is 917255510. Thanks for the help!:smile:

Carscw

Carscw

I get mine from tractor supply.
I would go 4 inch on the back and 6 inch in the front if your looking for speed.
Mine is built for off road fun so I run a 4 inch front and back top speed around 20 mph but still enough low end to carry the front wheels 30 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Patrick40

Patrick40

Yeah, I was going to give Tractor Supply a call actually. They could solve any problem they wanted to!:laughing:

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: Is that rear pulley splined or keyed and what tranny?

Patrick40

Patrick40

It's keyed and is a peerless tranny

Carscw

Carscw

Go look at

Hey mow.com

They have some good post about building a race mower

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: Is it a tranny or transaxle? If its is a transaxle, you had better take it apart and remove the reverse chain. As with the pulley change you are going to be turning more r's in the transaxle and will blow the chain out the back of the case. Is there a hub on the back of the current pulley? If so you have to take into consideration the overall depth of the new pulley as compared to the old pulley. Or you will not be able to install your c-clip/snap ring clip or nut to hold the new pulley on. No on trying to use the engine/idler pulley. As CARSCW stated go to heymow.com and look at the driveline section.

Patrick40

Patrick40

It's a Peerless transaxle. Looks like I'm going to be building my mower under the ARMA rules package. I'm going to a lawn mower racing event Sunday, Feb. 3 to check out all the specs. Will be having more updates the further this project mows along.

What's been accomplished:
- Brake assembly
- Paint job concept (not that it's really important right now)

Left to do (for now):
- Body work
- Rear tire replacement
- Pulley swaps
- Hood attachements
- Kill switch installment
- New battery location
- New battery
- New dashboard
- Cupholder :laughing:

This project doesn't look like much right now and that's why no pictures have been posted yet. However, in due time, I expect my Craftsman to have the look of a Super Modified. It isn't terribly complicated and should be done within the next few months. I will post pictures as more work is accomplished throughout the winter!

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: Sounds good. Keep us posted.

Patrick40

Patrick40

Rear fenders have been lowered and I'm on my way to attaching some hood pins soon...baby steps. Sadly, I work for a living and can't spend my time doing lawn mower mods all day :thumbdown: But hey, a slow process also means its detailed and done carefully!

silver1

silver1

Fun project. I read that the transaxle grease needs to be replaced with gear oil.
I saw a project on youtube where the front axle was welded to the very front of
the frame for a longer wheelbase and lowed front. I would like to read the rule book.
How was the race?

Patrick40

Patrick40

The race was awesome! It was based in Strafford, NH, where about 15-20 mowers raced under the ARMA rule book. The track is 1/10 of a mile long and produced some excellent side-by-side action. The track is also covered in ice, so it made for some good (but harmless) accidents. I definitely learned a lot about what the modifications are. I plan on attending next weekend and seeing what else the event offers. Next step is figuring out the gearing options for my 12 HP...

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The race was awesome! It was based in Strafford, NH, where about 15-20 mowers raced under the ARMA rule book. The track is 1/10 of a mile long and produced some excellent side-by-side action. The track is also covered in ice, so it made for some good (but harmless) accidents. I definitely learned a lot about what the modifications are. I plan on attending next weekend and seeing what else the event offers. Next step is figuring out the gearing options for my 12 HP...

awesome.gif :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A

Arthurz71

im also in the process of building one , how fast can yu go on yours?

Patrick40

Patrick40

Well, my Craftsman doesn't go terribly fast right now as everything is just stock. I'd say a whopping 8 MPH is accurate :confused2: But anyways, I'm purchasing a 4" rear pulley and a 7" engine pulley. I'll be looking at about 23-28 MPH, which isn't terribly fast, but good enough for my projected ARMA class, "Mowstock." I'm going to be making the swaps out this weekend as well as attaching the rear end and cleaning the engine! I can't wait, it'll be fun. After a certain point, pictures will be posted! :smile:

Carscw

Carscw

Well, my Craftsman doesn't go terribly fast right now as everything is just stock. I'd say a whopping 8 MPH is accurate :confused2: But anyways, I'm purchasing a 4" rear pulley and a 7" engine pulley. I'll be looking at about 23-28 MPH, which isn't terribly fast, but good enough for my projected ARMA class, "Mowstock." I'm going to be making the swaps out this weekend as well as attaching the rear end and cleaning the engine! I can't wait, it'll be fun. After a certain point, pictures will be posted! :smile:

I run a 4 front and back and do 20 mph I would think with a 7 up front you could hit 30 to 35

I can hit 40 mph with a 2 on the back

Patrick40

Patrick40

Sounds good to me! Good thing I got a few helmets lying around...

silver1

silver1

Helmet is good. Where are getting the pulley from? I would like to get one for my rear.
What did you do for the brakes and throttle?

Carscw

Carscw

Helmet is good. Where are getting the pulley from? I would like to get one for my rear.
What did you do for the brakes and throttle?

For a gas pedal I used a bike brake lever and cable.
I left the brakes they way the are at 20mph can still lock up the back wheel.
You can get a kit to put disk brakes on the front

Patrick40

Patrick40

Tractor Supply is a great resource for pulleys. Just make sure you know exactly what you need so they fit on the shaft properly. I'll probably be stopping by this coming weekend. As for the brakes, they are your standard pads...nothing fancy at all; they do just enough to stop the mower and that's it. I've yet to touch the throttle, but I will be installing a cable running from the engine to the steering wheel instead of using a gas pedal. Clearly, it's nothing flashy and is relatively inexpensive. I feel that within the next two weeks things are going to be picking up extensively.

silver1

silver1

I have seen the throttle on the steering wheel and right foot.
It used a foot pedal from a Snapper Comet! It was not for a racing
mower, just a Mud machine.

Patrick40

Patrick40

Big progress this weekend:

- Lowered rear fenders are bolted on and attached firmly
- New dashboard is installed
- New hood is installed and is much more sturdy and grounded than the previous
- Both front and rear pulleys are removed; will be ordering replacements next week
- Floorboards are lowered and attached
- Steering column is secured

Pictures to come this week!

J

jacksmurray

hey im new here, ive been looking for a forum like this for a while, i had a question about the old murray i have its a 1984 model 12hp riding, im gettin a 20 horse for it, i was wondering if there are any transaxles from other mowers that will fit it and where i can get one

Carscw

Carscw

hey im new here, ive been looking for a forum like this for a while, i had a question about the old murray i have its a 1984 model 12hp riding, im gettin a 20 horse for it, i was wondering if there are any transaxles from other mowers that will fit it and where i can get one

Why do you want to replace the transaxle is it broke?

J

jacksmurray

yea my transaxle got hit with something and a whole chunk of the case is missin, i can see gears and pertynear still my hand thru the hole, and it also has a crack at the bottom of the pulley shaft

silver1

silver1

yea my transaxle got hit with something and a whole chunk of the case is missin, i can see gears and pertynear still my hand thru the hole, and it also has a crack at the bottom of the pulley shaft

(One picture is worth 1000 words) We need numbers to help. Make/Model number. A lot of trans-axles will fit the chassis, but the shifter linkage is different.
LB

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: The hole in your transaxle could be from the reverse chain exiting the case. They usually blow the back side out. As far as the transaxle, what is the MN:, there should be a tag riveted to the case under the brake rotor.

Patrick40

Patrick40

:smile: The hole in your transaxle could be from the reverse chain exiting the case. They usually blow the back side out. As far as the transaxle, what is the MN:, there should be a tag riveted to the case under the brake rotor.

That's good advice, Buckshot 1.

For those of you that have been following this forum, I thank you for your interest. I will be posting some pictures tomorrow to give y'all an updated look as to how this mower project is working out. I also plan on adding the new exhaust piece very soon; I've gotten both the front and rear pulleys added (7" and 3.5" respectively). This project is really starting to take shape. Within the next few weeks, I hope to fire the motor up, add a new throttle cable, and a tethered kill switch.

J

jacksmurray

well guys im gettin a old craftsman for free so i guess my problems solved, but that hole was shattered it was where the pully meets the housing, it was cracked bad and really loose, as soon as i get my new mower this weekend ill start my own thread and if yall are interested in a hotrod lawn mower you should check it out and maybe even gimme some advice

Patrick40

Patrick40

Sounds awesome! Let us know when the thread is posted.

Patrick40

Patrick40

So, I know its been a while since I last posted an update on the mower project :( But in these quiet weeks, I've been VERY busy in making this project a true reality. A fresh coat of paint has just been added, decal templates are being designed, and a new bumper will be installed shortly. All in all, I'm very excited about how much has been accomplished in these short three months. Seems just like yesterday that it was a piece of crap, rusted old Craftsman wasting space. Now, the COORS CRAFTSMAN is nearing completion, although much work is left to be done.

Sadly, I've yet to start this machine (it's been three years since its last start). However, I've got a new battery, changed the oil, added gas, etc. It should be ready to fire up, but that will have to wait for another two weeks due to conflicting schedules :( The engine will also be receiving a tune-up after it finally starts :) I'm incredibly pleased with what I've gotten accomplished. Even as an amateur, I'd say the work is done very well and in solid detail.

Pictures will not be posted until the decals are on the mower. I do have some older photos, but those will have to wait as well. I can't wait to show everyone my progress, it's been a lot of fun learning how small engines work.

If anybody has a current mower racing project, let me know! Would be nice to compare notes.

Carscw

Carscw

So, I know its been a while since I last posted an update on the mower project :( But in these quiet weeks, I've been VERY busy in making this project a true reality. A fresh coat of paint has just been added, decal templates are being designed, and a new bumper will be installed shortly. All in all, I'm very excited about how much has been accomplished in these short three months. Seems just like yesterday that it was a piece of crap, rusted old Craftsman wasting space. Now, the COORS CRAFTSMAN is nearing completion, although much work is left to be done.

Sadly, I've yet to start this machine (it's been three years since its last start). However, I've got a new battery, changed the oil, added gas, etc. It should be ready to fire up, but that will have to wait for another two weeks due to conflicting schedules :( The engine will also be receiving a tune-up after it finally starts :) I'm incredibly pleased with what I've gotten accomplished. Even as an amateur, I'd say the work is done very well and in solid detail.

Pictures will not be posted until the decals are on the mower. I do have some older photos, but those will have to wait as well. I can't wait to show everyone my progress, it's been a lot of fun learning how small engines work.

If anybody has a current mower racing project, let me know! Would be nice to compare notes.

Not they same as your doing but thought you would like it.

Sound as if your having fun with your build and learning a lot

image-3841943640.png

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Attachments