Racing Lawn Mower Project

Patrick40

Threads
Hello everybody!

I'm looking to build a racing mower out of a late '80s Craftsman 12 HP rider. I've already taken care of the brake assembly and have some thoughts about smaller tires, air filter and front-end weight for better steering and traction.

My only question is about the rear pulley; I have a 9" rear pulley that I just uninstalled as I'm now on the search for a 5" rear pulley. Where could I find a rear pulley that fits the existing diameter fitting? Could an engine pulley or idler pulley work?

Just looking for some ideas here before I buy anything stupid. My model number is 917255510. Thanks for the help!:smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I get mine from tractor supply.
I would go 4 inch on the back and 6 inch in the front if your looking for speed.
Mine is built for off road fun so I run a 4 inch front and back top speed around 20 mph but still enough low end to carry the front wheels 30 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Patrick40

Threads
Yeah, I was going to give Tractor Supply a call actually. They could solve any problem they wanted to!:laughing:

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: Is that rear pulley splined or keyed and what tranny?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go look at

Hey mow.com

They have some good post about building a race mower

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: Is it a tranny or transaxle? If its is a transaxle, you had better take it apart and remove the reverse chain. As with the pulley change you are going to be turning more r's in the transaxle and will blow the chain out the back of the case. Is there a hub on the back of the current pulley? If so you have to take into consideration the overall depth of the new pulley as compared to the old pulley. Or you will not be able to install your c-clip/snap ring clip or nut to hold the new pulley on. No on trying to use the engine/idler pulley. As CARSCW stated go to heymow.com and look at the driveline section.

Patrick40

Threads
It's a Peerless transaxle. Looks like I'm going to be building my mower under the ARMA rules package. I'm going to a lawn mower racing event Sunday, Feb. 3 to check out all the specs. Will be having more updates the further this project mows along.

What's been accomplished:
- Brake assembly
- Paint job concept (not that it's really important right now)

Left to do (for now):
- Body work
- Rear tire replacement
- Pulley swaps
- Hood attachements
- Kill switch installment
- New battery location
- New battery
- New dashboard
- Cupholder :laughing:

This project doesn't look like much right now and that's why no pictures have been posted yet. However, in due time, I expect my Craftsman to have the look of a Super Modified. It isn't terribly complicated and should be done within the next few months. I will post pictures as more work is accomplished throughout the winter!

Patrick40

Threads
Rear fenders have been lowered and I'm on my way to attaching some hood pins soon...baby steps. Sadly, I work for a living and can't spend my time doing lawn mower mods all day :thumbdown: But hey, a slow process also means its detailed and done carefully!