Questions on Husky weights

chobbs1957

Threads
I have several running feet of ditch bank to cut. I get a lot of spin with lots of traction problems with my YTH21K46.

I've thought about adding water to the tires, but learned that manufacturers discourage that with the hydrostat transmission, as it adds stress to the hubs and the transmission. Yeah, that figures.

Husqvarna advertises wheel weights on their website, but add that they are for tractors 2008 (maybe 2005?) or older. Their "Answer Army" says, when questioned, that adding wheel weights will void the transmission warranty. Yeah, that figures, too.

The only commercial weight they encourage is the rear mounted weight. I am considering going that route, but am concerned about the front end staying down with that extra weight on the back.

What kind of experience do some of you have?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just who is giving you this story about no warranty as to where you put your weights? It sure seems to me you are putting more weight on the drive train by putting weight on the chassis then the wheels. If it was me I think I would want to know if your information is right on this warranty. One of my mowers is a hydrostat and I have had wheel weights on it since the day I bought it and the wheel weights from the dealer and it is over 20 years old and never had any drive train problems.

chobbs1957

Threads
Just who is giving you this story about no warranty as to where you put your weights? It sure seems to me you are putting more weight on the drive train by putting weight on the chassis then the wheels. If it was me I think I would want to know if your information is right on this warranty. One of my mowers is a hydrostat and I have had wheel weights on it since the day I bought it and the wheel weights from the dealer and it is over 20 years old and never had any drive train problems.

From the Husqvarna accessories area of website: "1 pair - 62 lbs - Fits most lawn tractors (LT/LTH models) and yard tractors (YT/YTH 2005 & prior models) with 18" & 20" tires." LINK HERE
wheel-weights-13e5ee9.png

From the Husqvarna "Answer Army" area of website: "Wheel weights mounted to the wheel rim are no longer available and have not been for the past 5 years, due to restrictions on axle torque loads by the transaxle manufacturers. We have been advised that weights mounted to the wheel rims will void the manufacturer's warranty on the transaxle." LINK HERE

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have used wheel weights on my garden tractor for over 20 years and is a hydro. and they have never been off the wheels. I guess they must of made lawn tractors better back in them years. How about traction tires?

metz12

Threads
I have used wheel weights on my garden tractor for over 20 years and is a hydro. and they have never been off the wheels. I guess they must of made lawn tractors better back in them years. How about traction tires?

it might rip up the grass though if hes got wheel slippage dont you think? what about a weight box?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well my question would be to them is.....I am 9 stone so maybe that's alright, but if my Dad who is 28 stone sat on the mower the warranty up the khyber, ya right...! think about this, wheel weights cost money, water does'nt.....I would and have done the water way first. just remember that the water will need to be treated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never tried a weight box but it sounds like that is his only answer to this problem. I personally can see what difference it will make between wheel weights and weight box as far as putting strain on the mower??

chobbs1957

Threads
I have never tried a weight box but it sounds like that is his only answer to this problem. I personally can see what difference it will make between wheel weights and weight box as far as putting strain on the mower??

Yeah but I guess smart engineers are trying to convince us that the amount of stress on certain parts is influenced by where exactly on the back of the machine the weight is actually located....

I like the water idea, and could easily adjust the target weight amount by adding or draining water from the container. I can make some kind of removable rack assembly for the rear, using the hitch.

I still wonder about keeping the front end down....

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

metz12

Threads
cinder block? is it that mower in your avatar?