Pump will not start

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Crazy- I tried to upload just one picture of the back of the motor like Tom suggested and I get from this website "the uploaded file is too large for the server to process". Sheeeesh.

Tom,

When you say "120VAC settings", you mean the simple hex switch to switch back/forth from 120 and 240?
open your photos in a phot editing app
Resize the photo to 12" on the longest side & set the resolution to 72 dpi and SAVE it as a JPG
The WWW see RAW f ormat phone images as 5 times the size thatthey are .

grumpyunk

Threads
Open PAINT program. Open the picture file. Find the 'reduce' image thingy near the top left. Reduce by 50% in both directions H&V. Click "FILE" and then 'save as' and select JPG. Name it something you can remember. Try uploading that. PAINT can make it smaller, but still legible.

I can't explain as i DO NO know what you have in front of you.
I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN.
Search for the installation DOC for the pump if you have a Model/Serial etc.
tom

noquacks

Threads
got it, here:

Attachments

• IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 4

noquacks

Threads
Open PAINT program. Open the picture file. Find the 'reduce' image thingy near the top left. Reduce by 50% in both directions H&V. Click "FILE" and then 'save as' and select JPG. Name it something you can remember. Try uploading that. PAINT can make it smaller, but still legible.

I can't explain as i DO NO know what you have in front of you.
I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN.
Search for the installation DOC for the pump if you have a Model/Serial etc.
tom
Model is Craftsman, 390-2518. SN is not readable anymore. Never requested/demanded that one here must be an electrician. Help offered though is most appreciated, whatever your capabilities are. If you cant help, then thats OK. I was able to post a pic. Not sure if that helps, people. I have no where else to ask for help. Thanks.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like the black knob sets the voltage the pump is looking for. The pressure switch is a dual pole switch. Do you have 220-240 at the terminals of the pressure switch of the wires from the service panel? Is the black switch set to 230? Do you have 220-240 volts at the terminals of the pressure switch of the wires going to the pump?
From the picture the pressure switch looks pretty crusty. Might want to just replace it.

Last edited:

grumpyunk

Threads
The disclaimer I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN was to make you aware that I am just a guy who has done some stuff, but am not qualified to give electrical advice.

This link is to the owners manual, including INSTRUCTIONS TO SWITCH TO 115V and parts.

Hope this is helpful.
tom

noquacks

Threads
Looks like the black knob sets the voltage the pump is looking for. The pressure switch is a dual pole switch. Do you have 220-240 at the terminals of the pressure switch of the wires from the service panel? Is the black switch set to 230? Do you have 220-240 volts at the terminals of the pressure switch of the wires going to the pump?
From the picture the pressure switch looks pretty crusty. Might want to just replace it.
I have 240V at the terminals at the PS. Yes, the black hex shaped switch is at 240V. But no V at the PS terminals. So wierd. Gotta be a bad PS, right?

BUT, just now, I tried something- I disconnected the 2 wire leads coming from the back of the pump from the PS, and connected them directly to a cord, going to a 120V outlet, and BAM, pump runs. So, it runs on 120V but not on 240 even when the hex switch is turned to the 240V selection. I dont care if it runs on 120 and not 240, as long as it runs.

Last edited:

noquacks

Threads
The disclaimer I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN was to make you aware that I am just a guy who has done some stuff, but am not qualified to give electrical advice.

This link is to the owners manual, including INSTRUCTIONS TO SWITCH TO 115V and parts.

Hope this is helpful.
tom
Wow, so helpful, Tom. Thanks. I should study that! I will let yous know what happens, if I can glean anything from that manual........

noquacks

Threads
I got it running!!!!!! Yahoooo! Finally. On 240V. I dont know what I did differently, but it works. I primed it with a garden hose, and it pumps great. BUT, it doesnt shut off unless I cut the power to it. Now that I (we) got this far, what do I do to the pressure switch to naike it shut off? I will read up more on that diagram meanwhile.

Thanks, people.

noquacks

Threads
If it is a bad PS can I install a new one I have , the range for which is 30-50 psi? I cant tell from the manual Tom posted what psi's the pump is rated for. All I can find is on page 2, showing "discharge pressure " of 40 psi. Would my 30-50 work?