PTO will not work

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It still has an electric solenoid on the transaxle to engage the PTO portion. Check all related electrical connections. Most connectors uses Packard terminal which uses a spring type contact system. These do break along the hinge and makes for loose contacts.

Also if the mower has a reverse inhibit switch which many do it could be activating which could just be trash in that switch area.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The battery is fully charged and as far as I can determine no bad connections.

This machine has a hydraulic PTO not electrical.
I suspect that you have a button that you pull to engage the pto. that sends power to a solenoid valve that opens and pressurizes the hydraulic clutch plates. So the same rules apply as to an electric clutch.

Looks like it uses the same transaxle as the 445/455 series. the solenoid valve is located toward the top right corner of the rear transmission cover.

Jim Pritchrd

Threads
Thanks for the advice. I am thinking along with you that it is more than likely the solenoid.
I do have a Tech manual and it is a big help.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Scroll down to troubleshooting, then using troubleshooting chart, click on engine, scroll down to PTO stops.

Last edited:

Jim Pritchrd

Threads
This will not help a it is just the operation manual and my problem is well past overheating of engine.

Scroll down to troubleshooting, then using troubleshooting chart, click on engine, scroll down to PTO stops.

Jim Pritchrd

Threads
I am still having issues and can't get pro to engage. Tried wiring straight to solenoid and solenoid is working properly when I put voltage direct to it.

This morning I am not getting voltage from PTO switch to solenoid. Hav bypassed all safety switches, checked the PTO switch and it is working properly , getting resitence reading as specified between proper poles.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the circuit with the two leds, are both on when you turn the ignition switch with the PTO switch in off position? If not it can be a bad PTO switch. Same setup as 445 in this respect and I repaired one where the PTO switch was bad in the off position. Customer had given up after changing the solenoid and brought in to me for to troubleshoot. The must work in the off position in for the latching relay to set.

It also can one of the two relays not working; dirty contacts, bad solder joints, or failure otherwise.

Jim Pritchrd

Threads
On the circuit with the two leds, are both on when you turn the ignition switch with the PTO switch in off position? If not it can be a bad PTO switch. Same setup as 445 in this respect and I repaired one where the PTO switch was bad in the off position. Customer had given up after changing the solenoid and brought in to me for to troubleshoot. The must work in the off position in for the latching relay to set.

It also can one of the two relays not working; dirty contacts, bad solder joints, or failure otherwise.
Star Tech, I have replaced PTO switch, bypassed the RIO switch, Bypassed the brake switch, and checked the new PTO switch with ohm meter and it is functioning properly. Getting up from computer now and going to buy a couple of cans of electrical spay to clean all contact and connectors.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The question was, Is the Ignition and PTO leds light on the circuit board both lit?