PTO will not work

Jim Pritchrd

Threads
I have a John Deere X485 Lawn tractor and my PTO will not engage.

logert gogert

Threads
just to save any trouble, we need your serial/model numbers, it will make it much easier to help us direct and figure out your issue.

for your tractor the serial number should be on the right side of the frame, near the middle.

logert gogert

Threads
how/when did you figure out it wouldnt work?
and have you checked your fuses? usaually there is a fuse powering the electronics controlling the PTO

Jim Pritchrd

Threads
I have checked fuses, switch is functioning properly. I even by-passed all safety switches and still no PTO.

It started a few weeks ago intermittently going out and after running forward for a few feet it would come on but when I started backing up and lifting on switch it would quit again. Now it doesn't work at all.

logert gogert

Threads
you say you have checked your fuses, but have you checked your connections?
a loose connection could be wobbling around causing the pto to engage/disengage, and if you have exposed wire it may be shorting out on any other metal or the cassis.

and is your battery dead?

logert gogert

Threads
we used to have one with a dead battery, it would start with a jump, and the PTO would only engage if the battery was being charged/jumped,
but if you turned off the pto while mowing, it would not turn back on ( PTO ) unless there is something charging the battery.
we got a new battery and problem solved.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets start with having somebody sit on the seat with the key on but not running and engage the pto, and take a volt meter and see if you have 12 volts at the clutch..

Jim Pritchrd

Threads
The battery is fully charged and as far as I can determine no bad connections.
Lets start with having somebody sit on the seat with the key on but not running and engage the pto, and take a volt meter and see if you have 12 volts at the clutch..
This machine has a hydraulic PTO not electrical.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now this will sound a little naff, particularly as you have come here for help, but the best thing you can do is to buy the JD Technical Manual for your mower.
People baulk at the price but when all is said & done it is only a couple of hours of the charge out rate for JD service technician so will pay for itself the first time it is used.
They are written in plain English but very detailed instruction on how to test everything then how to repair what is found to be at fault.

I am not familiar with this particular machine & only buy in manuals on a as needed basis.

However if you have a lever to engage the PTO then it will most likely be valve that opens the PTO to hydraulic fluid.
If you have a switch then it could be the valve or the switch.
AFAIK there is only one pump so if the tractor actually moves OK then the pump is fine and that leaves the switch / valve or PTO motor.