Pto switch..la140

pops52

Threads
Hi, New member here. I bought a 2010 LA140 last year, replaced: battery, cutting belt, electric cutting clutch, tires and rims. It worked well last year, but now the PTO doesn't engage.
I show power to the pto switch and,without starting the mower, i pull the switch and I can hear the clutch engage.
When I put the switch back in place and try to engage the pto nothing happens.
I did have to reconnect a wire, came from the battery and ran to the fuse, the fuse is good. Any ideas what to do?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then most likely you have a loose connection. Many times the Packard wire terminal will break their hinged contact and then loose electrical contact. They are easily replaced; although, JD just wants you to replace the entire front wiring harness over replacing an one dollar bad terminal.

boatmoter

Threads
Hi, New member here. I bought a 2010 LA140 last year, replaced: battery, cutting belt, electric cutting clutch, tires and rims. It worked well last year, but now the PTO doesn't engage.
I show power to the pto switch and,without starting the mower, i pull the switch and I can hear the clutch engage.
When I put the switch back in place and try to engage the pto nothing happens.
I did have to reconnect a wire, came from the battery and ran to the fuse, the fuse is good. Any ideas what to do?
(engine off) engage the pto & try to turn the clutch by hand to see if you have a frozen pulley or spindle. I would also put a volt meter at the pto clutch and engage the pto and see if the voltage disappears

pops52

Threads
(engine off) engage the pto & try to turn the clutch by hand to see if you have a frozen pulley or spindle. I would also put a volt meter at the pto clutch and engage the pto and see if the voltage disappears
Thanks put a new one one it worked..now I'm trying to find such safety relay is "stuck" because it won't even turn over..thinking either seat or parking brake

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do yourself a massive favour and buy the JD Technical manual for your mower
It will show you exactly where each part is hidden , what it does and how to test it
Not cheap but pays for itself the first time you don't send the mower to a workshop or rip your hair out

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The ignition, PTO, and Brake are the only things in between the 12V and the starter solenoid. No Safety relays.

1683418904383.png