Export thread

Pros and Cons of EFI on ZTR machines

D

dithelen

Hi, I am looking to buy my first ZTR. Should I go for a mower with EFI? Is it dependable? Are there problems with fuel pumps, sensors, filters etc... any more than with a carb? Which way should I go?

B

bertsmobile1

EFI is really only economically viable for commercial mowing.
Not too far down the track all petrol mowers will be EFI as emission standards get tighter than a carburettor can attain.
Untill then stick with carbs which are owner servicable

Yep, what he said.

And later yet, we may be discussing battery powered mowers. I don't want to think about that..

S

slomo

Steer clear of EFI. Can't beat the reliability of a carburetor.

I take that back. Does it have wideband O2 sensors on each exhaust port or cylinder? Or some mechanical squirter system?

slomo

S

Sam's

I agree with the above posters. As a commercial mower I will add this for your consideration.
The EFI burns a lot less fuel
Starting is much simpler all year long
With proper maintenance both will go a long time. Two of my mowers hours
Vanguard 35 hp carb 2000 hrs
Vanguard 37 hp efi 1400 hrs

Sam

B

Born2Mow

A commercial mower who needs to worry about their annual fuel bills might want EFI.

A residential owner who wants to do his own service work would most definitely want a carb.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

EFI is great till it isn't. Service is usually dealer only. Like a new car, first 5 years probably no problems after that who knows.

S

slomo

Doubt that there is much of a fuel drinkage difference. Probably low enough to not even worry about it. All these especially over 14hp motors like the fuel.

slomo

D

DK35vince

Doubt that there is much of a fuel drinkage difference. Probably low enough to not even worry about it. All these especially over 14hp motors like the fuel.

slomo
+1
I have a 35 HP Kawasaki carbureted (72" deck) zero turn and a Vanguard 37 HP EFI (72" deck ) zero turn.
Little to no difference in fuel usage

Beamster

Beamster

We have EFI on our JD tractor. It's the most reliable piece of equipment ever owned and NEVER a fuel related issues in over 24 years. I wish our motorbikes had it because it's nerve racking every Spring not knowing if the carbs are going to be unhappy or not.
I think the electronics in our refrigerator are more problematic if things go wrong.