Pros and Cons of EFI on ZTR machines

dithelen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I am looking to buy my first ZTR. Should I go for a mower with EFI? Is it dependable? Are there problems with fuel pumps, sensors, filters etc... any more than with a carb? Which way should I go?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
EFI is really only economically viable for commercial mowing.
Not too far down the track all petrol mowers will be EFI as emission standards get tighter than a carburettor can attain.
Untill then stick with carbs which are owner servicable

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, what he said.

And later yet, we may be discussing battery powered mowers. I don't want to think about that..

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Steer clear of EFI. Can't beat the reliability of a carburetor.

I take that back. Does it have wideband O2 sensors on each exhaust port or cylinder? Or some mechanical squirter system?

slomo

Sam's

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with the above posters. As a commercial mower I will add this for your consideration.
The EFI burns a lot less fuel
Starting is much simpler all year long
With proper maintenance both will go a long time. Two of my mowers hours
Vanguard 35 hp carb 2000 hrs
Vanguard 37 hp efi 1400 hrs

Sam

Born2Mow

Threads
A commercial mower who needs to worry about their annual fuel bills might want EFI.

A residential owner who wants to do his own service work would most definitely want a carb.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
EFI is great till it isn't. Service is usually dealer only. Like a new car, first 5 years probably no problems after that who knows.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Doubt that there is much of a fuel drinkage difference. Probably low enough to not even worry about it. All these especially over 14hp motors like the fuel.

slomo

DK35vince

Threads
Doubt that there is much of a fuel drinkage difference. Probably low enough to not even worry about it. All these especially over 14hp motors like the fuel.

slomo
+1
I have a 35 HP Kawasaki carbureted (72" deck) zero turn and a Vanguard 37 HP EFI (72" deck ) zero turn.
Little to no difference in fuel usage

Beamster

Threads
We have EFI on our JD tractor. It's the most reliable piece of equipment ever owned and NEVER a fuel related issues in over 24 years. I wish our motorbikes had it because it's nerve racking every Spring not knowing if the carbs are going to be unhappy or not.
I think the electronics in our refrigerator are more problematic if things go wrong.