Problems Tapping/reaming new spark plug hole

Born2Mow

Threads
1) I have done this job dozens of times.

• If the plug blew out, then most of the threads are gone and THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH THREADS remaining to engage.
• In your case, the cyl head has to come off so that you can tap from the INSIDE going in the reverse direction.
• Due to the need for the spark plug sealing ring to lie FLAT against the plug surface you MUST follow the old threads. Thus you need to go extremely slow in order to go straight.
• The only way you can go slow AND straight is to use a T-handle, so that you don't push the tap off course due to uneven loading of the tap handle. Bert is correct, DO NOT use a ratchet. And DO NOT use a drill motor.
• I highly suggest you buy a 14mm spark plug repair kit from Heli-Coil. Spend the money and buy the real thing because they work the best. They come with a 2-diameter tap (starter and finisher) to give you the best chance at success. The solid inserts always back out. Solid inserts are trash.
• Tapping is done with LOTS of lubrication. The best results are obtained by cutting in 1 turn, then reversing by at least 1/2 turn. This breaks the chip... which is necessary due to the design of the tap itself. Coming all the way back out, blowing out all the chips with compressed air, and then applying all new lubricant is the best method. This back and forth is why a drill motor is NOT recommended.
• Install the Heli-Coil from the outside. The coil end should end up below flush. Again lots of lubrication.

2) A stripped plug hole is merely a SYMPTOM of another problem: Incorrect technique.
A stripped plug hole is COMPLETELY avoidable by adding one simple step. Cyl heads are typically aluminum. Spark plugs are typically steel. Steel and aluminum REALLY do not like each other, especially in high-heat situations. That is the very nature of the 2 materials. So the installer must find a way to separate the 2 materials. The correct technique is to add a compound to the spark plug threads BEFORE installation that keeps them separated. Products like Never-Seeze which add nickel or copper work the very best. But, simply dabbing 2 drops of motor oil from the dip stick onto the threads is better than nothing. The oil bakes on and forms a patina, which is strong enough to give the needed lubrication and more importantly, the separation.

If you ever see a mechanic install a spark plug without so much as 2 drops of motor oil, you'll know that person is an idiot. Lubricating spark plug threads is Mechanic 101. It's basic information. Stuff you learn the first week on the job.

Bottom Line: You're probably doing this entire job for the lack of 2 drops of motor oil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then if you look up “an idiot “ in the dictionary you’ll see my picture. In my 50+ years of experience I’ve never used oil, nor will I ever use oil on spark plug threads. They are designed to be installed dry.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here we go!?

Back in the old days of cast iron cylinder heads and blued steel spark plugs you had issues with plugs literally rusting and seizing. Especially the taper seat plugs used in some ford engines. Fast forward to aluminum heads and spark plugs with plated threads. Rusting not an issue and plating stops the galvanic reaction. What i do see is folks who think you need to install the plugs like it is a lug nut and over torque them to the point they damage the aluminum threads and the plug blows out. I have watched people install plugs with a 1/2" ratchet and pull them down like a head bolt on a big block chevy. Everyone has their way to do it. I change over 100 plugs a year no and i put no oil on them. Of course, i am just another random hack on the internet.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never used oil but have used anti-seize. Don't know if it helps but so far has not hurt anything, either.

15-18 ft-lb is about what I put on them, if that, using my un-calibrated hand and a 3/8" ratchet to compress the gasket. Have never had one come loose or stripped a thread, either.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depends upon the application.
The plug holes on the RR are helicoiled from the factory, in fact every threadded hole in their block has a stainless steel insert.
So plugs must be lubed or you end up ripping out the insert.
As for mowers or motorcycles , plugs go in dry

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are not supposed to apply anything to the plug threads. You are looking for a good ground to fire the plug. Oil is an insulator. Besides the plugs are plated to resist dissimilar metals and the corrosion that the two fighters cause.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This should done with the head removed in this case.

Now the tool pictured looked to be the Performance Tool Spark hole repair tool. It is probably just a poor copy of the OEMTOOLS version. And only one of the PT tools set and it was poor quality: otherwords, they did not hold up very well at all.

Also taps in aluminum will stick and cut poorly even when using oil. The trick is to use rubbing alcohol instead. It only breaking off a couple taps to realize this sticking can be a major problem. Plus you only use high quality taps and dies in the first place. They are well worth the extra expense.

The question here is since the OP say the just spins in hole is it at the starting point or is it already most of the way in. If just starting then tool is already too dull to start threading for the new inserts. Otherwise if halfway or most of the way in then the hole is already too damaged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The actual lubricant for machining aluminium is kerroscene .
Grease is to trap the chips
And yes I would be doing it head of on a mower engine

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have done head on and off and both ways seem to work. Or just wrap a piece of 14ga solid copper wire around the threads of the plug and just crank it into the head.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are not supposed to apply anything to the plug threads. You are looking for a good ground to fire the plug. Oil is an insulator. Besides the plugs are plated to resist dissimilar metals and the corrosion that the two fighters cause.

slomo
I'm guessing the number of plugs I've installed is in the high hundreds, if not thousands.

You'd think if installing plugs with anti-seize on them would cause problems, it would have shown up by now.

But it hasn't.