Problems Tapping/reaming new spark plug hole

jquack

Threads
I had a spark plug blow out of the engine, damaging the threads. I've got a combination tap/reamer that's supposed to remove the old threads, and cut new ones, so I can screw/loctite an insert into the new threads to hold the spark plug. I watched a few videos that make it seem pretty straightforward and simple; the tap engages the existing threads, and the torque applied to the ratchet removes them and cuts new ones.

The problem I'm having is that the tap doesn't seem to be engaging the threads. It's cut most of them out, but that seems due to inward pressure I applied to the ratchet in an attempt to engage the threads as opposed to the threads themselves engaging, and the reamer doesn't seem to be getting any purchase to cut new threads. Now all I'm really doing is just spinning the tap without any real result.

I don't know if I've got the wrong tap/reamer, used it incorrectly, didn't realize how much pressure the guys in the videos were applying, or what.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Please post engine manufacturer, model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, & code xxxxxxx
If you're having trouble making repair take to Dealer or machine shop.

Last edited:

jquack

Threads
It is a Tecumseh LV195XA, spec 362089E, D.O.M. 07074GG1785, FAM: 7TPSK.196BC, off a Toro 22" Recycler.

That's all that was on the engine identification decal. I don't know the type, trim or code, or where to find them.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
More importantly, what type of plug hole repair kit are you using? Pic? Pic of plug hole?

jquack

Threads
this is pretty much what it looks like. it's an OEM TOOLS 14mm Spark Plug Rethreader Kit.

jquack

Threads
this is the spark plug hole. It looks like most of the threads have been removed by the tool without new threads having been cut. I have no idea if that's how it's supposed to work, but I suspect not.

Attachments

• spark plug hole1.jpg
    spark plug hole1.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 34

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cover the tap with grease and press hard as you turn it in. It should start cutting in the new thread. You want to apply a lot of pressure to get it to "bite in" and start cutting the thread. When you back it out most of the chips ahould be caught in the grease. Any small chips usually blow out the exhaust valve. You always run the risk of leaving chips in that score the cylinder but the grease trick usually works.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And do not use a ratchet .
Use a drill with a socket adapter so you can push down HARD.
Or if you can't get your hands on that kit a T handle so you can apply direct down force with you can not do with canter levered device like a ratchet or plain wrench.
Follow Hammers instructions
I like to fill the cylinder with kerro after the threads are cut then pull the rope hard to expell the kero a couple of times , prefferably with the engine positioned with the plug hole uppermost.
Get some copper anti seize and from now on a little dab on the plug threads to ensure the plug comes out & the sleeve stays in.

jquack

Threads
I will try this as soon as I can and get back to you.

Thank you both very much for your suggestions!