Pre mixed fuel vs mix it up yourself

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
5 years ago I got rid of four gas cans and now I only have one. Mix a pouch of Opti-2 with one gallon of fuel and use it in all equipment, mine or customers. Never have had a problem since I switched over.

Joed756

Threads
I have never, ever notice any running difference in any two-stroke equipment due to what type of oil was being used.
I have noticed a different color of the gas and often more or less smoke coming out the exhaust and sometimes a different smell of the exhaust but never have they run any differently.
I think for most people, if you could blindfold them or give them the equipment that was totally disguised so they wouldn't know and so they wouldn't know which fuel was in it, they wouldn't be able to tell any difference even though it seems there is a running difference when they know these things.
I like to be 100% accurate in what I do and say. I have some strong personal opinions too but for things like my comments on Heinz being the only catch up with eating or at least being the best, I have done blind taste tests many times with things like multiple brands of ketchups and I mean 10 and 12 at once, and I've also done all the local donuts in the area.
People are always jumping up and down talking about how someone so has the best donuts etc when most these people haven't even tried all the competitors or haven't tried them in decades. They know one thing and they stay with it.
If you sit this person down at a table in front of me and I can let them taste test eight different of the same style of donut, and let them rank them and make comments on each one, almost always they won't pick the one they thought was the best.
I too, try to be 100% accurate, like asking people to clarify if they mean Ketchup, Catsup, or (OMG!!!!!) Catch Up?
Catch Up?????????

Lawn Addict
Threads
It can be a conundrum..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well where do we start ?
most mixing bottles will be about +/- 10% and most mixing formulas do not take into account the volume of oil added increases the total volume so 50ml in 5,000ml is not 100:1
The most common chamber bottle for oil is nothing like accurate . Even using the saches can be problematic , do you wring then out to get every last drop ?
Engines that specify 30:1 ( usually 32:1 ) were designed to use standard motor oil not modern synthetic 2 stroke oil.
Those of us over 50 will remember the days of having to shake the hell out of fuel cans to get the oil back in suspension every time the piece of gear was used and tipping the unused fuel back out of hand held devices and even worse almost strait oil filling the float bowl on mowers that have sat over winter .
All of this is gone now days with modern dispersants that keep the oil molecules in suspension for years and do so without the need for shaking .
Now ball & roller bearings need almost zero lubrication and in fact will be happy with the lubrication effect of just the strait fuel and in most cases that is all they get .
The important place is the ring to piston gap & the ring to cylinder wall interface .
So on most mowers you can safely run 100:1 and the only problem will be the engine will run rich, because there is more actual petrol in each cc of fuel drawn through the main jet so you end up with sooty plugs if you do not starve the engine off regularly.

JD14SB

Threads
You brought up a hot topic with me. I always buy Ethanol-free Gasoline and mix it 40:1 with Red Armor oil. Never had any issues. I went out-of-State to help out a Friend clean up his yard so brought my 2-cycle equipment but didn't bring Gasoline as I didn't know a good way to transport it. I bought 1 gallon of Tru-Fuel when I arrived. They only had the Red can which was 50:1. Filled up the tank on my Shindaiwa String Trimmer. Went to work and the Trimmer just didn't run at full RPM. I thought oh well, and kept knocking down weeds and brush. After about 20 minutes, the Trimmer slowed way down and stopped. Let it cool down before restarting it. Well, the Engine had seized. I later took it apart and the cylinder and piston were badly damaged. I had to junk the String Trimmer which, by the way, was the best Trimmer I ever have owned. I spoke to a local Lawn and Garden shop I trust and they said they've seen Tru-Fuel seize other engines. I guess I was totally nuts for paying $25 a gallon just so I didn't have to smell gas in my Car driving up there.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, I used to use Tru Fuel in my Shindaiwa T-235 at end of season when my can ran empty.. Never any issues.

JD14SB

Threads
Wow, I used to use Tru Fuel in my Shindaiwa T-235 at end of season when my can ran empty.. Never any issues.
I really think Tru-Fuel had a bad run of product. I ruined my Engine. I had the Shindaiwa T230X, IIRC. It was the Limited Edition in "Blue Plastic". The Trimmer was amazing. Wish I could find another like it.

JD14SB

Threads
I am very concerned right now. I let a Friend borrow my "Garden Way" Mini Tiller I recently restored (Vintage 1980). It calls for 24:1 mix ratio of 30 weight. I put my Red Armor 40:1 mixed fuel in it. My Friend is testing out the Tiller as I just got it running again. Hope like heck it doesn't destroy itself. I have too much time and money into it. I wanted to loan him our Mantis Tiller we bought in 1989. It's been an amazing Tiller and didn't want anything to happen to it. I think I made a bad decision. I had posted the question on themix ratio for the old Garden Way Tiller this morning and my Friend came by to pick it up right after. So I let him proceed with 40:1 fuel I put in it. Then when I checked my post later in the day, it said use 30wt and follow the manufacturers requirements.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I really think Tru-Fuel had a bad run of product. I ruined my Engine. I had the Shindaiwa T230X, IIRC. It was the Limited Edition in "Blue Plastic". The Trimmer was amazing. Wish I could find another like it.
I think you may be right.. Never any issues here.. Now I only mix with Amsoil Saber

Never knew of the Shin T-230X, Cool. I love my 10 year old T235.. Best I ever had, & bought it new.