Power-G /Champion Generators

briggs

Threads
I bought my Kubota in the mid 80's. Don't remember what I paid for it but it was well over 1,000 dollars. At the time I had a camp in the mountains and it ran 24hrs a day. I would put a 5 gallon can of gas through it in 24 hrs. I have never had any repairs on this generator other then maintenance. I now see new generators for sale that are the same size for around 400 dollars now. I was looking at Honda generators this AM in a catalog and for their small portable generator they are asking almost a thousand dollars. Harbor Freight you can buy the same size generator for less then 100 dollars. For that much price different there has to be a reason? Why, would it be quality, brand name, or where it was made???

Kubota are good units I have had a few come to repair ..But nothing major..Mostly tune ups and carb cleanings..

here in Canada we what u call Power-fist they are sold by princess auto ( are version of HF) but we also have TSC here ...The power-fist is a Honda clone ....Some parts will interchange with them ...Honda sold off some of the old stuff like the tooling and stuff to make some of the old engines and they are mass made the specks are off and so on they are made very cheap ..People buy them and put them on snow blowers generator's.. Roof cutter and so on ....When they go on sale u can buy 6.5hp for 99.95 plus tax as a Honda will cost 400 to 800 plus depending ..I love Honda they are great built well and not hard to work on at all ...I will post some of the links to TSC Canada and princess auto

I think home depot sells the champion generators so dose COSCO and a few others ...I like them better then the weed eater brand there junk

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is what mine looks like. I do remember replacing the cheap china spark plug with a Champion.
66619.gif
cached10009.jpg

Also here is a review on the HF mini generator.

I worked for over 20 years for a family owned mill in the pulp and paper industry. The people I actually were second generation. I never will forget one day the guy was talking to us and he said that his father had always sai he would rather buy 100 $1 watches than he had to buy a $100 watch. The thought was the $1 watch would tell time and he could keep the $99 to do something else with. The average person will get as much running out of the generator he spends $90 for as he will out of the one he spends several times that much for.

briggs

Threads
I worked for over 20 years for a family owned mill in the pulp and paper industry. The people I actually were second generation. I never will forget one day the guy was talking to us and he said that his father had always sai he would rather buy 100 $1 watches than he had to buy a $100 watch. The thought was the $1 watch would tell time and he could keep the $99 to do something else with. The average person will get as much running out of the generator he spends $90 for as he will out of the one he spends several times that much for.

I had a few that I killed they were the cheap ones ..I use them at the track and around the shop or out on service calls ...But I have a Honda that I use at home in case the power go's out its a big one ....My dad has a big Briggs with electric start for his house ....I don't mind the cheap ones for something's but I want a good one for my house to run my fridge,stove and all that stuff

tybilly

Threads
we had one when I worked at the shop a customers unit,coleman pocket generator is what I call em,with a robin engine,the bowl gasket and inlet needle cost as much as a new carb

briggs

Threads
we had one when I worked at the shop a customers unit,coleman pocket generator is what I call em,with a robin engine,the bowl gasket and inlet needle cost as much as a new carb

Yes some of the kits are high priced eh ...Most times i buy a new carb its easier to throw a carb on and go

Last edited:

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
I Got these 2 Generators from the same Person to repair ..He owns a small salvage yard and uses them for his grinds ,sawsals etc ...Both needed carb and fuel tank flushes ..The red one had water in it there is a sight glass in the top that will let water in if u leave it outside in the rain or snow ..I used Seal-all to seal it so it wont let water in ..The yellow one had dirt and crap in it blew it out sealed it also and it worked great ...I am not a big fan of these off shore units ..Sure there cheap and all but they don't last ..I had one and it died with in 2 years ..whats your thoughts

Being a Champion distributor I may be biased but I had one mounted to the back of my service body for eight years and I can't praise it enough.

Although a Honda clone it's never failed me. I firmly believe it saved my life on one occasion on the desert in Nevada. Nuff said.

briggs

Threads
Being a Champion distributor I may be biased but I had one mounted to the back of my service body for eight years and I can't praise it enough.

Although a Honda clone it's never failed me. I firmly believe it saved my life on one occasion on the desert in Nevada. Nuff said.

i have 2 myself i use them at the track when i race and stuff but my good one at home is a Honda.....They are hard to get parts for and if u find them they cost allot ...But they work ok for what they are ...There is allot of people that love them ...To be honest i see so-many brands i hate them all lol

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
i have 2 myself i use them at the track when i race and stuff but my good one at home is a Honda.....They are hard to get parts for and if u find them they cost allot ...But they work ok for what they are ...There is allot of people that love them ...To be honest i see so-many brands i hate them all lol

I bought mine because I'm cheap. We'd all love to have Hondas but they're pretty proud of them.

I have no complaints and all the small engine places are familiar with them.

briggs

Threads
I bought mine because I'm cheap. We'd all love to have Hondas but they're pretty proud of them.

I have no complaints and all the small engine places are familiar with them.

thats why i have 2 cheap ones for track use or i use them when i do a service calls so if they brake i don't have much invested ...I am cheap too lol but i got my Honda for a great deal :thumbsup:

itguy08

Threads

Naah - everything Honda does (cars, generators, engines, etc) is pretty much mediocre and high priced. You can keep all of them.