please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower
Really there is no sense in powering up the engine if the transmission won't put the power to the ground.... You might have to explore other avenues and sell this mower as a good MOWER. And use that money once you've read up on building and modifying mowers.

logert gogert

Threads
i just wanted to put better parts in there to make up for the lost torque i will have when i put bigger tires on, but you are older, more expirence and been around the block more than i have, thank you

logert gogert

Threads
Really there is no sense in powering up the engine if the transmission won't put the power to the ground.... You might have to explore other avenues and sell this mower as a good MOWER. And use that money once you've read up on building and modifying mowers.
but i wanted to keep this mower cause of the engine, be cause its a 2 cylinder

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i just wanted to put better parts in there to make up for the lost torque i will have when i put bigger tires on, but you are older, more expirence and been around the block more than i have, thank you
go read post #27, and then find out what size tires and wheels are on it.

logert gogert

Threads
i know, i have 20x8-8's
why do you need to know?

Last edited:

AVB

Threads
I have personally seen hydrostatics to completely stall out by being over loaded, The wheel motor part of the hydrostatic is basically a impeller (fan) with oil being forced across it. Once overloaded the oil just flows around the impeller creating excessive heat. This overheating of the oil thins it making it even less effective plus it this excessive heat damages the oil leading to excessive of the slip plates of the internal oil pumps. Think of these hydros as the older torque convertors used in automobiles with automatic transmission before they came out with the locking types. In race cars we had to install high stall versions whenever we had soup-up engines or we destroy the torque convertors. But of course I'm from the time when you could also push start automatics because they had two oil pumps.

Besides next size is going to be at least 22" if not larger and I don't remember seeing any double D rims in the 10" size but I haven't been paying that much attention to that either. Even if you do change to larger tire assemblies you have clearance issues requiring mods to the body or lowering of the transaxle. Lowering of the transaxle will cause belt alignment problems that must be addressed.

Probably easier to just provide the Hydro Gear service manual but don't generally provide part numbers except to their dealers; hence, just the item numbers. Also below is the service manual link for Briggs Twin L-head engines. These should be able answer some of the questions.

Hydro Gear 510, 610, 710 Service Manual

Briggs Twin Head Service Manual 271172

As suggested just fix up the mower as a mower, sell it, and look for one with manual transmission. Many of the MTDs came with a single speed manual transaxle with variable speed belt system that be easier modified as long as you can make up a new pulley and change belt sizes. At higher speed even transaxle whine like crazy due gear meshing problems if not shimmed correctly internally. Much the rearends of autos where the pinion and ring gears heel and toe are off (gear meshing).

Andi

Threads
my name is logan and im 13, have just got a 2006 mtd 2 cylinder mower, i have already took the deck off, swapped the pulley to give it about +5 ish mph, and i have put dualie tires on it and a led lightbar. but i would like to do more to it, i dont really know that much about mower engines, and havent really done anything to the motor besides a tune up, i was wondering if i could maybe put a gas pedal on it, how do i put it on? how does it work? and once it is on, do you need to keep the stock "accelerator pushed in then when you want to go faster get on the gas pedal? and what about doing anything with the governer is that a good route? i dont have very much knowledge in mower modifieng and just saw it on you tube and thought id do it, i just really need some advice and help. PLEASE REPLY

-logan
This is just general advice from a gal who has spent many years doing mechanical and electrical work. Listen to those here who know what they are doing, and take 99% of what you see on YouTube with a grain of salt. I have seen idiots on YouTube trying to explain the best way to murder diesel and gas engines, all within the realm of trying to help. You're a smart kid, so just be careful.

logert gogert

Threads
i WOULD try so sell it but the deck is so rusted it will be dangerous to use it, so thats why im trying to do SOMETHING with it

logert gogert

Threads
what about tranny swapping it like ive asked before?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Logert, I said I was done with this thread, but I have watched what has been asked and answered and at this point I have to answer th question you asked in the last sentence of post #19. Yes, you have stuck enough time and money into this unit. Unless you want to stick big bucks and a lot of time into it, it is time stop now and cut your losses. The amount of money you will need to the point you will want, will cost you 5 times more than what you could get out of it. I know this is not what you want to hear, but you must stop and filethis in our experience bank.