Export thread

please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower

logert gogert

logert gogert

my name is logan and im 13, have just got a 2006 mtd 2 cylinder mower, i have already took the deck off, swapped the pulley to give it about +5 ish mph, and i have put dualie tires on it and a led lightbar. but i would like to do more to it, i dont really know that much about mower engines, and havent really done anything to the motor besides a tune up, i was wondering if i could maybe put a gas pedal on it, how do i put it on? how does it work? and once it is on, do you need to keep the stock "accelerator pushed in then when you want to go faster get on the gas pedal? and what about doing anything with the governer is that a good route? i dont have very much knowledge in mower modifieng and just saw it on you tube and thought id do it, i just really need some advice and help. PLEASE REPLY

-logan

tom3

tom3

Is this a hydrostatic transmission drive? If so running the engine faster might not make the mower ground speed any faster. Once the hydraulic pressure gets to the bypass pressure there's no more power or speed from the unit.

logert gogert

logert gogert

ummm, i think, ive never really meessed with transmissions, and dont know alot about them can you inform me what a hydrstatic is? sorry and thx for replying to, i was beginning to think nobody would

R

Rivets

Being a retired instructor my advice to you would be to go to your local library and get a couple of books on small engine repair. You admit that your knowledge of this subject is limited and this will be a problem as you don’t understand a reply. If you don’t understand how an engine or transmission works, which will limit how you modify it to meet your needs. The mechanics on this site don’t have the time to walk you through each modification, especially if you don’t know what they are asking you. Example, knowing how the accelerator pedal, throttle, governor and type of transmission work together to adjust your ground speed. Once you have a little better understanding of how everything works, please comeback with your questions and we will be glad to help you.

logert gogert

logert gogert

over the past few days i have researched about what a hydro static transmission is and i now under stand, i already have quite a bit of knoweldge about how an engine, and transmission, worked, its just since ive never been around mowers ive never heard of a hydrostatic transmission up until the other day, now were you just wanting too tell me to do that, or could you maybe help me, with modifying my mower? if you dont want to its okay. i dont want you to waste your time with a kid like me if you dont want to.

thx for the re[ply

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

It's better than having your face glued to a screen.

If you want to hook up a gas pedal, there are oodles of videos on youtube, keep in mind somehow you need to turn the up and down of the gas pedal, to in and out motion for the cable.
You can look at the hand throttle, that should give you a good idea of how it should work
If you could post some info about the engine that would help us and you.
I would advise against removing the governor, most engines are made to go to 3600RPM max, anymore than that you risk putting a window in your engine block.
if you read about people revving their Predator engines to 4200 rpm or more and removing the governor, 99% of them have a new ARC billet connecting rod with bearings. Not the stock Chinese crapsting
most or all small engines just have the connecting rod surface and the surface of the crank journal itself, no bearing.so RPMs above 3600 are really toeing the mark.
good luck!!

logert gogert

logert gogert

thanks alot man! recently a couple of dyas ago, i have already just said "screw it" and did the throttle my self, i yook it out of the dash, tossed that, and got and electric scooter brake handle wired that up, and put a spring on it and put it on the left side of the mower, so now i can just put it on cruise control, so when i wanna go slow, i can just keep it idling, or if i wanna go a lil faster, push my foot down more. so on and so forth. i love the way it feels, and also i decided to not to remove the governer i lil bit after i posted this thread, reasons simialar to what you just said, is there anything else you think is can do to give it more performance or offroading performace wise, oh yea one more thing, ingot bored today and i removed the muffler, THAT THING IS LOUD, and what i didint expect, is when i let off the gas it backfired..... he he he

R

Rivets

Logert, did you read and understand my last two sentences? I’ve dealt with students like you for more years than you’ve been around and for the last 15 years they want immediate answers instead of lifetime knowledge. When I had students who wanted to do what you want to do, we would find an old Bolens, IC, Wheel Horse shafted driven lawn tractor (not mower) and because they knew how the different systems worked together, they could get them to do 25+ miles per hour. They would shave heads, change and/or punch jets, changed ignition and valve timing, replace small engine pistons with automotive pistons, changed tire sizes, changed drive shafts, etc. They could do this because they knew how all the systems worked together, through book knowledge and hands on experience. The pros on this forum will probably be picking up a book or manual everyday at work, because that is where they will find 95% of the answers they need. They aren’t afraid to ask questions, but first they do their homework. They know that the computer is just another tool in the toolbox, which just like a monkey wrench, you must know how to use it correctly to get the job done right. It’s something we’ve learned as we got older, called experience. Good Luck in achieving your goals on your mower.

AVB

AVB

I know you said it was 2006 MTD mower but if you post the model number from the serial tags it will us a better idea of what you got in front of you. That we all know if you're working the single speed transaxle with CVT drive belt system or a hydrostatic transaxle.

B

bertsmobile1

It s the job of the old to pass on what they have learned to the young.
Often what they get told is not what they wanted to hear.
I am 68 and I still look up books on a daily basis.
We could give you fold tab B into slot C type information but you do not learn anything that way.
Mowers are designed to run at a fixed speed which is close to the peak torque of the engine and the speed adjustment is done through the transmission.
When you understand how things work then you an modify them to suit your needs when you don't all you do is bugger things up.
Running a hydro at low input speeds or excessive input speeds destroys the tranny.
For your purpose you would be a lot better serves looking for a mechanical drive that uses a drive chain so you can change sprocket to get the final speeds you desire.
Next best would be a sliding sheave type transmission where pulley sizes can be changed to change the range of speeds.
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but the way you are approaching this can end up in serious injury to either the machine or you or both.

logert gogert

logert gogert

so your trying to say i would need afifferent trans to do this ? my plan is to go no farther than 15mph, could my tranny handle that?

logert gogert

logert gogert

and one more question, i would like to remove the rear pulley and swap it to get some more speed but it will not come off, does any body know how i can get this off??????

B

bertsmobile1

so your trying to say i would need afifferent trans to do this ? my plan is to go no farther than 15mph, could my tranny handle that?
No

Go to the mower racing web sites & read the blogs about what they do to the trannies.
I used to have about 30 old manual boxes in the graveyard but once they kicked off at the local showground they are all gone.
The preferred method is a 2000 series 4 speed box with big sprockets and a clutch because you can not shift these boxes on the fly.

R

Rivets

This will be my last post on this thread, so Logert please read it carefully, plus all other replies before you reply. We have no idea what engine, transmission or body style unit you are talking about. You stated that you have a 2006 MTD mower. Do you realize that in 2006 MTD build thousands of units with different engines and transmissions. You have been asked to supply us with model and serial numbers, but you disregard this request, as well as others. Do you think we have ESP and know exactly what you are talking about. Spoiler alert, we don’t. If you really want help you MUST provide the members with more info (numbers and pictures) which will allow them to make good replies to your questions. Also, reread and take to heart the suggestions and warnings you have been given so far, particularly the last line of post #10. Good By & Good Luck.

logert gogert

logert gogert

oh yes i do remeber you guys telling me about me having to tell you guys what model i had, im sorry, and now i feel like an idiot, thank yo0u every body for replying and telling me things, im very sorry for not listening to some of you saying "what model do i have and can you give me the number."
tomorrow i will get that number and hopefully you guys havent lost your minds with an idiot like me and reply, thank you guys so much again.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

You're not an idiot. You're just growing up.
The engine model should be stamped on the metal cover, depending on who manufacturers the engine.
The model for the mower is usually on a tag under the seat.

logert gogert

logert gogert

thank you so much i nwas just wondering to my slef where i could find it

logert gogert

logert gogert

now if i may ask why will for example changing pulley sizes to make it go faster destroy the tranny? (hydrostatic) and also, ive been scanning the internet, and ive seen people saying that removing the muffler on a mower (wich i did), reduces horse power do to backpressure, and some people say its not true. now is that true or just a myth?

( this is an edit ) >>>>> ive done alot of reasearch tonight and ive been seeing, that a hydro static transmission will not handle faster speeds ( which you guys said) but ive also seen that sometimes a hydrostatic mower can lose speed, and it says you can fix it by priming it or something, and then there was things saying that theres a screw or something you can do to adjust it. is there a way i can tell if it has lost speed, or if it has how can i fix it?? sorry for bombing you guys with questions,ive worked really hard to buy this used mower it wasnt that much money but i still worked hard ( i paid 350$), heres my story : early last summer i wanted to make some money by cutting neighbors yard so i borrowed my dads push mower, ( didint want me to use the rider cause i needed to learn) then i said to myself, "hey, is should start a mowing buisness, i used my money that i scraped up form cutting the neighbors yard and by b day and x mas money, and i bought some parts for my electric scooter i had laying around, i got a 500 watt motor on 3, 12 ah 12v batteries running a 36 volt overvolt kit at 750 watts, a 1000 watt 36v speed controller and a proportional throttle, that thing was bad, i put a 80 tooth rear sprocket on that thing and it flied, i went around 35+ on that thing. i went down the street and bought the used push mower a man was selling, then i whipped out the old lawn tractor trailer we had laying around so i could put lawnmower weedeater, blower in it. then i hooked up a tow hitch to the chassie of the scooter and there i was, imagine a 13 yr old kid going 30 mph down a residental road with a lawn tractor trailer filled with lawn equipment. after a cople weeks i already had 8 yards, i was banking 700$ month avg some more some less, cause 1 month i had 11 yards ( only in the season though i made that much money) then when the season was over and i was coming home from my last yard, i was at an itersection ( residential not public) and i had to get home quick, and i said to my self, "im gonna floor it" so i do, then about 100 feet later, motor stops spinning and i smell smoke, and guess what? motors blown. so im sitting here 2 mi away from home, with no phone, and a blown motor, so now i have to push a 80 pound scooter, and 200 pounds of cargo, 2 miles, mind you i put blood sweat and tears into that scooter, i loved that thing, i rode that sucker 600 miles in 3 months i teared up a bit going home. now to this day i still havent put another motor on that thing luckily seasons over and i have no yards to do.

okay back to what we are talking about originally, its just once i heard that you can have issues modding a hydro static mower, my heart sunk, because i bought this mower with intensions of modding it, and i hope i didnt do it all for nothing.

if i have done all this for nothing somebody plz tell me so i dont go any farther. plz and thx

logert gogert

logert gogert

here i got the number

model number: ( under seat )
13CO6166190
-----^
might be an O, or an zero couldnt tell
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

family: ( on engine )
YBSXS.7452VR and about an inch next to that it said: 275103
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

serial number: ( under seat )
1E202H20297
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: under the seat it said "emits to 1998 safety inspection" or something like that.
but on the engine it said "complies to 2006 state of california emission law" or something like that.
how? why? mower was a 1 owner machine and the guy that i bought it from said it was stock motor, ( and i dont think hes lying cause hes a good friend of mine ) how is that possible?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you guys need any more info jst tell me

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

According to the model from under the seat, it's a 2001 year model.
and two different engines were used, one looks like an opposed twin flathead
and the other looks like a v twin Overhead valve engine.

logert gogert

logert gogert

is that what you needed?

logert gogert

logert gogert

According to the model from under the seat, it's a 2001 year model.
and two different engines were used, one looks like an opposed twin flathead
and the other looks like a v twin Overhead valve engine.

did you read the post i did last night ( please read it ) its the long one
post #18

logert gogert

logert gogert

so about midifying it should i just forget about it since its a hydrostatic?

AVB

AVB

Transaxle is a Hydro Gear 310-510 (MTD PN 918-0319)

The pulley comes off after you remove the nut holding it on. You will need section of old drive v-belt and a strap wrench to hold the pulley while removing the nut.

Input Speeds
Maximum: 3000 RPM
Minimum: 1800 RPM

This at the transaxle input pulley and not the engine's RPMs.

logert gogert

logert gogert

thanks, but i just decided i wont pulley swap it so my hydro doesnt self destruct, im just going to get bigger tires

logert gogert

logert gogert

and also, is there a performance kit that you know of i can buy so i can increase engine horse power like cam shaft, pistons, flywheel, air box, etc
if so could you send me a link, because since i cant pulley swap, ill just put biggwer tires on, but bigger tires makes you lose torque even though you go faster, so i would like to change a few parts so it makes up for that loss of torque

AVB

AVB

thanks, but i just decided i wont pulley swap it so my hydro doesnt self destruct, im just going to get bigger tires
The Hydro is limited to a maximum wheel diameter of 20" which would the 20 x10 - 8 wheel that is probably already on it.

logert gogert

logert gogert

why is it limited to that size? and so your saying i cant put bigger tires on it? and its a 20x8-8

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

From my
and also, is there a performance kit that you know of i can buy so i can increase engine horse power like cam shaft, pistons, flywheel, air box, etc
if so could you send me a link, because since i cant pulley swap, ill just put biggwer tires on, but bigger tires makes you lose torque even though you go faster, so i would like to change a few parts so it makes up for that loss of torque
Do you have an opposed twin or V twin engine?

logert gogert

logert gogert

it dosent say all it says is twin cylinders. is there a way i can tell?

AVB

AVB

why is it limited to that size? and so your saying i cant put bigger tires on it? and its a 20x8-8
That is what Hydro Gear spec'd the transaxle for max wheel size. That is probably the max the transaxle safety drive without slippage more than it is design. Think of Hydrostatic transmission much a torque convertor that can stall out if too much of a load is put on it.
it dosent say all it says is twin cylinders. is there a way i can tell?
Opposed twin would have the cylinder straight across from each other (180 degrees) and a V twin would have them at 90 degrees of each other.

B

bertsmobile1

now if i may ask why will for example changing pulley sizes to make it go faster destroy the tranny? (hydrostatic) and also, ive been scanning the internet, and ive seen people saying that removing the muffler on a mower (wich i did), reduces horse power do to backpressure, and some people say its not true. now is that true or just a myth?

( this is an edit ) >>>>> ive done alot of reasearch tonight and ive been seeing, that a hydro static transmission will not handle faster speeds ( which you guys said) but ive also seen that sometimes a hydrostatic mower can lose speed, and it says you can fix it by priming it or something, and then there was things saying that theres a screw or something you can do to adjust it. is there a way i can tell if it has lost speed, or if it has how can i fix it?? sorry for bombing you guys with questions,ive worked really hard to buy this used mower it wasnt that much money but i still worked hard ( i paid 350$), heres my story : early last summer i wanted to make some money by cutting neighbors yard so i borrowed my dads push mower, ( didint want me to use the rider cause i needed to learn) then i said to myself, "hey, is should start a mowing buisness, i used my money that i scraped up form cutting the neighbors yard and by b day and x mas money, and i bought some parts for my electric scooter i had laying around, i got a 500 watt motor on 3, 12 ah 12v batteries running a 36 volt overvolt kit at 750 watts, a 1000 watt 36v speed controller and a proportional throttle, that thing was bad, i put a 80 tooth rear sprocket on that thing and it flied, i went around 35+ on that thing. i went down the street and bought the used push mower a man was selling, then i whipped out the old lawn tractor trailer we had laying around so i could put lawnmower weedeater, blower in it. then i hooked up a tow hitch to the chassie of the scooter and there i was, imagine a 13 yr old kid going 30 mph down a residental road with a lawn tractor trailer filled with lawn equipment. after a cople weeks i already had 8 yards, i was banking 700$ month avg some more some less, cause 1 month i had 11 yards ( only in the season though i made that much money) then when the season was over and i was coming home from my last yard, i was at an itersection ( residential not public) and i had to get home quick, and i said to my self, "im gonna floor it" so i do, then about 100 feet later, motor stops spinning and i smell smoke, and guess what? motors blown. so im sitting here 2 mi away from home, with no phone, and a blown motor, so now i have to push a 80 pound scooter, and 200 pounds of cargo, 2 miles, mind you i put blood sweat and tears into that scooter, i loved that thing, i rode that sucker 600 miles in 3 months i teared up a bit going home. now to this day i still havent put another motor on that thing luckily seasons over and i have no yards to do.

okay back to what we are talking about originally, its just once i heard that you can have issues modding a hydro static mower, my heart sunk, because i bought this mower with intensions of modding it, and i hope i didnt do it all for nothing.

if i have done all this for nothing somebody plz tell me so i dont go any farther. plz and thx

The answer to your questions was back in the first set of responses.
You have to be able to understand how things work before you can safely modify them to work differently.
On many engines, cars & motorcycles with multiple cylinders back pressure is significabt.
On most mower engines it is not
On most mower engines removing the muffler just makes them louder .
It also dramatically increases the risk of burning valves particularly at low revs.

Hydro drives are designed to run at a fixed speed.
Run them too slow and more oil leaks between the valve plate & cylinder block that passes through the cylinders.
When spinning too fast the pistons flutter in the valve chest.
There are no seals or piston rings in a hydro drine so either of these situations will cause errosion destruying the valve plate & piston block

logert gogert

logert gogert

thank you, but 1 more qustion, can i put bigger tires on it?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The Hydro is limited to a maximum wheel diameter of 20" which would the 20 x10 - 8 wheel that is probably already on it.
Read what AVB said.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

hqdefault.jpg
this is an Opposed twin, in pic # 1

750264_2000x2000.jpg
this is a V twin, since the cylinders are in a V.

logert gogert

logert gogert

hqdefault.jpg
this is an Opposed twin, in pic # 1

750264_2000x2000.jpg
this is a V twin, since the cylinders are in a V.
okay i have an oposed, why did you ask? did it have to do with reply #26?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Well, if you want to know how to supe up the engine, we would need to know what kind you have, :) of course if you've decided against it cause of the tranny that's ok.

logert gogert

logert gogert

Well, if you want to know how to supe up the engine, we would need to know what kind you have, :) of course if you've decided against it cause of the tranny that's ok.
its an oposed, do you need another model number?

logert gogert

logert gogert

what else do you need to know about the engine?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

On the red or black metal engine cover, there should be a metal tag with the model type and code on it. With that we can give you more info.

logert gogert

logert gogert

ill go get it right now

logert gogert

logert gogert

model: 463707

type: 2238 EI

code: 0205135A

logert gogert

logert gogert

hopefully thats what you needed

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Cool, thanks. That will help you also because i know of some other forums where people build these twin engines for racing. But of course the hydrostatic transmission is limiting on your RPM and Torque limits.
from your code your engine was manufactured May 13th 2002

logert gogert

logert gogert

is it hard to tranny swap from a hydro to a manual, well i know its not easy, but just wanted to know how hard it is, and if i did get one, is there a 'racing' tranny i could get?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Well, I'm not sure.
you'd have to make and fabricate a gearshift, for F N and R,
I did some reading on other forums and threads, seems like people are scared of the flywheel over 3800 rpm, they can and will fly apart and the results aren't too pretty.
I wish I could give you better news, but your options are very limited as far as speed and power.

logert gogert

logert gogert

what a bout a different higher quality flywheel, i have a decent amount of money so im not really worried about my price, just as long as its not over the top expensive

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Look up ARC racing, and contact them if need be, they make alot of small engine performance parts

logert gogert

logert gogert

oh lord, i dont know what parts to get, is there some parts that you can suggest that i need

logert gogert

logert gogert

all of the parts im seeing on the website are for single cylinder mower motors and predator and honda,

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Really there is no sense in powering up the engine if the transmission won't put the power to the ground.... You might have to explore other avenues and sell this mower as a good MOWER. And use that money once you've read up on building and modifying mowers.

logert gogert

logert gogert

i just wanted to put better parts in there to make up for the lost torque i will have when i put bigger tires on, but you are older, more expirence and been around the block more than i have, thank you

logert gogert

logert gogert

Really there is no sense in powering up the engine if the transmission won't put the power to the ground.... You might have to explore other avenues and sell this mower as a good MOWER. And use that money once you've read up on building and modifying mowers.
but i wanted to keep this mower cause of the engine, be cause its a 2 cylinder

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

i just wanted to put better parts in there to make up for the lost torque i will have when i put bigger tires on, but you are older, more expirence and been around the block more than i have, thank you
go read post #27, and then find out what size tires and wheels are on it.

logert gogert

logert gogert

i know, i have 20x8-8's
why do you need to know?

AVB

AVB

I have personally seen hydrostatics to completely stall out by being over loaded, The wheel motor part of the hydrostatic is basically a impeller (fan) with oil being forced across it. Once overloaded the oil just flows around the impeller creating excessive heat. This overheating of the oil thins it making it even less effective plus it this excessive heat damages the oil leading to excessive of the slip plates of the internal oil pumps. Think of these hydros as the older torque convertors used in automobiles with automatic transmission before they came out with the locking types. In race cars we had to install high stall versions whenever we had soup-up engines or we destroy the torque convertors. But of course I'm from the time when you could also push start automatics because they had two oil pumps.

Besides next size is going to be at least 22" if not larger and I don't remember seeing any double D rims in the 10" size but I haven't been paying that much attention to that either. Even if you do change to larger tire assemblies you have clearance issues requiring mods to the body or lowering of the transaxle. Lowering of the transaxle will cause belt alignment problems that must be addressed.

Probably easier to just provide the Hydro Gear service manual but don't generally provide part numbers except to their dealers; hence, just the item numbers. Also below is the service manual link for Briggs Twin L-head engines. These should be able answer some of the questions.

Hydro Gear 510, 610, 710 Service Manual

Briggs Twin Head Service Manual 271172

As suggested just fix up the mower as a mower, sell it, and look for one with manual transmission. Many of the MTDs came with a single speed manual transaxle with variable speed belt system that be easier modified as long as you can make up a new pulley and change belt sizes. At higher speed even transaxle whine like crazy due gear meshing problems if not shimmed correctly internally. Much the rearends of autos where the pinion and ring gears heel and toe are off (gear meshing).

A

Andi

my name is logan and im 13, have just got a 2006 mtd 2 cylinder mower, i have already took the deck off, swapped the pulley to give it about +5 ish mph, and i have put dualie tires on it and a led lightbar. but i would like to do more to it, i dont really know that much about mower engines, and havent really done anything to the motor besides a tune up, i was wondering if i could maybe put a gas pedal on it, how do i put it on? how does it work? and once it is on, do you need to keep the stock "accelerator pushed in then when you want to go faster get on the gas pedal? and what about doing anything with the governer is that a good route? i dont have very much knowledge in mower modifieng and just saw it on you tube and thought id do it, i just really need some advice and help. PLEASE REPLY

-logan
This is just general advice from a gal who has spent many years doing mechanical and electrical work. Listen to those here who know what they are doing, and take 99% of what you see on YouTube with a grain of salt. I have seen idiots on YouTube trying to explain the best way to murder diesel and gas engines, all within the realm of trying to help. You're a smart kid, so just be careful.

logert gogert

logert gogert

i WOULD try so sell it but the deck is so rusted it will be dangerous to use it, so thats why im trying to do SOMETHING with it

logert gogert

logert gogert

what about tranny swapping it like ive asked before?

R

Rivets

Logert, I said I was done with this thread, but I have watched what has been asked and answered and at this point I have to answer th question you asked in the last sentence of post #19. Yes, you have stuck enough time and money into this unit. Unless you want to stick big bucks and a lot of time into it, it is time stop now and cut your losses. The amount of money you will need to the point you will want, will cost you 5 times more than what you could get out of it. I know this is not what you want to hear, but you must stop and filethis in our experience bank.

logert gogert

logert gogert

yes sir, thank you you for evrybodys time, with helping me and replying, im surprised you guys even replied, and thx again for not losing yalls mind, hope fully when i get another mower, yall can help me then. now..................i will go cry myself to sleep after buying this mower with hopes that i can make it work then it doesnt. just kidding, but seriously thank you guys :)

B

bertsmobile1

look up mower racing.
There will be a groups of "weirdos" somewhere near you.
Get some one to take you to the meeting and take photos.
Note which makes & models they are using, cause that is what you are looking for.
Provided that the mower has not blown up bewen heats most will happily point you towards all sorts of things that you can do to get a bit more out of any mower.

Just remember they are very basic engines so flywheels, crankshafts pistons & con rods have an aversion to doing much over 5000 rpm.
It is very expensive to get them spinning much faster
Look for a mower with a horizontal shaft engine that you could replace with a small motorcycle engine.
For your purpose that will work well.
Or go down the cart route and get a chain drive mower and couple it directly to the motorcycle gearbox sprocket.

logert gogert

logert gogert

thanks, but i was always thinking of keeping the original motor and just modifing that

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

For the engine, https://www.arcracing.com/6624-arc-billet-flywheel-briggs-model-42-46-opposed-twin-boxer/
If you scroll down, you'll see ARC rods with bearings also...

logert gogert

logert gogert

For the engine, https://www.arcracing.com/6624-arc-billet-flywheel-briggs-model-42-46-opposed-twin-boxer/
If you scroll down, you'll see ARC rods with bearings also...
wtf 350$, WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTT

B

bertsmobile1

If you ever frequent a speed shop you will see this on a variety of different posters all over the walls.
Regularly turns up at car parts shops and motorcycle workshops

SPEED COSTS MONEY
HOW FAST CAN YOU AFFORD TO GO

https://thejudge13.com/2017/11/22/speed-costs-money-how-fast-do-you-want-to-go/

logert gogert

logert gogert

damn

wheres the ice cream cause ima shove me face wit it and cry my self to sleep
wHy YOu GoTTa ReALitY ChEcK mE LikE ThAt

logert gogert

logert gogert

hey, its me.......again (*sigh*).
since i cant sell that hydro mower, i was just going to keep it and use it to haul stuff around, pull my mowing equipment ect.
but its whining alot, and i decided to come here and ask yall if i should replace the fluid in the transaxle.
thank for any help.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Transmission
The hydrostatic transmission is sealed at the factory
and is maintenance free. The fluid level cannot be
checked nor can the oil be changed.

above is quoted in the service manual

logert gogert

logert gogert

im not doughting your knowelege in any way, but i was reading that there is a fill nozzle that you can unscrew and fill up, and people have had whining hysro transmissions and they change it, and it completely stops the whining

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Best thing to do is look at your Transmission.
Some Hydros are serviceable some are not. My dad's Kubota g1800 is serviceable.

logert gogert

logert gogert

i already did, but what could be wrong

AVB

AVB

Transmission
The hydrostatic transmission is sealed at the factory
and is maintenance free. The fluid level cannot be
checked nor can the oil be changed.

above is quoted in the service manual
According to the model provide it has a Hydro Gear 310-0510 transaxle and fuild can be added via the fill.drain port (metal plug) on the transaxle over the ring gear. It just that are considered sealed from the point of the user as depending the apllication it there may no way to get to the port other than removing the transaxle. Oil is 20W50 total volume is 76.3 oz. per the IPL for the 618-0319.(superseded to 918-0319)

How do you think we add or replace the oil when we replace an axle seal or other component inside the transaxle?

logert gogert

logert gogert

is that a retorical question?

AVB

AVB

Additional Info

From the Hydro Gear service manual for the 310-0510.

Fill the 310-0510 to the top of the oil fill port. Recheck the fluid level once the unit has been operated for approximately 1 minute.

AVB

AVB

There is also a good reason they don't want anyone without the proper knowledge inside the transaxle as they need to repaired in a super clean environment.

logert gogert

logert gogert

And if i do do this, ive seen people saying they purge the system
after wards.
how do i do that?

R

Rivets

If your have a Hydro Gear model 310-0510 as stated in post #73 here is the service manual. It will answer all your questions. If you take the time to read it, which your pass posts suggests say you won’t, there isn’t much more we can help you with. I know that you say you are only 13 years old, but you need to help yourself by building up your knowledge base before tackling the problems you feel you have. https://www.sauerbibus.de/fileadmin...tatic_Transaxle_Service_and_Repair_Manual.pdf

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

According to the model provide it has a Hydro Gear 310-0510 transaxle and fuild can be added via the fill.drain port (metal plug) on the transaxle over the ring gear. It just that are considered sealed from the point of the user as depending the apllication it there may no way to get to the port other than removing the transaxle. Oil is 20W50 total volume is 76.3 oz. per the IPL for the 618-0319.(superseded to 918-0319)

How do you think we add or replace the oil when we replace an axle seal or other component inside the transaxle?
Thank you for the correction AVB!

logert gogert

logert gogert

thank you so much rivets i have just read it, and it awnsered nearly every one of my questions, and thank you for taking the time to find the link that takes me to the instruction sheet. and i am very sorry for asking you guys a question, that can easily be solved by reading an inrtuction sheet.