Please post DETAIL about your problems!

Threads
Hello,I'm new to this sight.I have a question abought my Dynamark.model number 5180-0000,serial number 095380,code 9038.Do you know what year this is?Also I'm having trouble with the brakes it will not stop.Is there anway to ajust them?Thankyou for your time.

WELCOME TO LMF!
We need model numbers and maybe engine numbers to determine the age.
Thanks! :smile:

Kbruce365

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scotts S2046 Law Tractor (by John Deere) and the steering wheel does a lot of "skipping," got progressively worse and now you cant really steer it at all. After looking up stuff on the internet, there is a lot of mention of the bushing getting worn out, so I thought I would start small....I finally got the nut off and bolt out of the steering wheel but could never get the steering wheel off. I dropped the deck & put it up on a jack and can see that the steering gear's teeth are extremely worn and some are worn all the way down/off. I have no idea how to get to the steering gear to replace it. Can you take it off from under the tractor or do you have to go from the top/steering wheel? If anyone has some suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take a look at this website and I think it will answer many of your questions. Post back if you need more help.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Kbruce365

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have that and it doesn't answer any questions. It does show you pictures and labels all the parts, but doesn't tell you how to get to anything.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It shows that there is a bolt which holds the steering wheel to the shaft. Next you have a cotter pin holding the shaft in place. You should then be able to remove the steering shaft. On some units you may have to remove the steering gear first.

Kbruce365

Forum Newbie
Threads
The bolt and nut are removed but the steering wheel wont budge. Apparently a lot people have problems removing the steering wheel with the nut and bolt removed as evidenced by all the questions about it on the internet. The steering gear is what I'm trying to remove/replace. Unfortunately, that picture from the parts catalog doesn't show all the other stuff in the way or how to get to the steering gear. It may take someone who has a John Deere or Scotts, or at least someone who has replaced the steering gear on a JD or Scotts. Thanks for your attempt though.

cuda

Threads
I have a 2012 Craftsman lawn tractor model 917.288562. 24 HP, V twin engine. I would like to know if it's possible to install a tach on this engine and if so how would I go about it. I am familiar with car tachs and how they hook up, but they use a coil. I think these tractors use a magneto ??? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Cuda

Attachments

• Hotrod Side.jpg
    Hotrod Side.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 11

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2012 Craftsman lawn tractor model 917.288562. 24 HP, V twin engine. I would like to know if it's possible to install a tach on this engine and if so how would I go about it. I am familiar with car tachs and how they hook up, but they use a coil. I think these tractors use a magneto ??? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Cuda
Google Tiny Tac and see if they have something you would like on your new mower.

cuda

Threads
I was thinking more along the lines of a conventional tach.
Thanks anyway.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I my knowledge there are no conventional tachs available for small engines. Tiny Tacs work great and are easy to install.