Parts prices....RIPOFF

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not as surprised about parts cost as what some of the supppliers charge for shipping. :eek: AND that some individual parts aren't available except as a complete asembly.

This particular thing just recently bothers me too. I have a LEER cap on my truck bed and the cap itself is good and never had a problem until a little cam held in by a screw fell out of the rear window lock.
(that screw should have had locktite on the threads) I could not order just the part, Had to get the whole lock assembly. OK, here it comes - LEER dealer wanted $65 + $10 - I found another supplier (exact same part including LEER logo) for $45 + $5 shipping) The assembly came in a small padded mailing envelope.

The cam came off the new part and went onto the old assembly in 5 min. WITH locktite on the threads.
I now have a complete (minus the cam) assembly in a drawer in the garage.

Had a Leer cap at one time, I know the part you refer to. What a ripoff...it angers me parts providers gouge customers like that.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
What I am pissed off about is not that the freezer quit on me but why is it so fricking hard and costly to get parts? The relay is small enough to fit in the bowl of a SOUP SPOON. WHAT A RIPOFF.

I can understand what you're talking about with parts Ripoff. I had the same thing happen to me with a 7 year old Maytag washer that went on the blink. They wanted $465 for a tiny circuit board plus labor to fix it and it would be two weeks before he could get the parts.:rolleyes: I just went and got a new LG from Home Depot.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can understand what you're talking about with parts Ripoff. I had the same thing happen to me with a 7 year old Maytag washer that went on the blink. They wanted $465 for a tiny circuit board plus labor to fix it and it would be two weeks before he could get the parts.:rolleyes: I just went and got a new LG from Home Depot.

It is simply GREED that does this kind of thing, I always wonder if the companies that manufacture goods are in cahoots with the parts vendors, asking them to mark up prices 500% so you will end up going to buy a new item instead of repairing what you have. Such encourages a throwaway society, very wasteful.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gee JD whats wrong...?
Like I said I'm rather spoiled that there are these resources available in my, relatively small town...
I am very lucky that they are here... HOW could your misfortune possibly make ME feel good???
I was simply answering your question ... Remember you asked? WHAT WOULD YOU DO YOURSELF
Gee I'm sorry you feel that way.

Yep, your right again Kenny as always and I certainly have to agree. You are spoiled and I must say you really have away with people.:wink:

Last edited:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is simply GREED that does this kind of thing, I always wonder if the companies that manufacture goods are in cahoots with the parts vendors, asking them to mark up prices 500% so you will end up going to buy a new item instead of repairing what you have. Such encourages a throwaway society, very wasteful.

I think you're exactly right. The little repair stores that used to be everywhere always had parts. I'm only 38, and I remember this! Your Kennmore go on the fritz? Sears had the part(s) in the back. Any other major brand? Well, they probably had that part, too.....or the repair shop down the road did.

I hear over, and over, and OVER how this 'new economy' is about America turning into a 'service based economy'. WHAT SERVICE?!?!?!? If JD (and millions of others) wants to fix their appliance, or mower, or car, or whatever, they can't. If they want to call someone to do it, they can't. Everything is www. this, and www. that, and call the 800 number to talk to someone from another country (who doesn't speak your language very well) to try and help you...then (assuming they CAN help you, and get the part you want) wait a month for the parts to come from China...SERVICE, eh? Bah.

I think that's the problem. Most stuff even only 10 or 15 years old is now made in China, and the parts are from there as well. The Chineese aren't going to have the parts......or if they do, they have to ship them, go through customs, etc. Whereas, even a decade ago, SOME stuff was still made in the US.

If you're lucky to live near a distro point, like it sounds kenny does, then you truly are both blessed and spoiled.:wink: The rest of us have to pay out the wazoo for shipping, and wait for said shipping.....or have that shipping 'absorbed' into the cost of the part to begin with.

I also think you're right, JD, that the big stores don't want you to fix anything.....just consume more when what you've consumed before breaks.....oh, that's right that was the old 'consumer driven' economy.......what was I thinking? :rolleyes:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, your right again Kenny as always and I certainly have to agree. You are spoiled and I must say you really have away with people.:wink:

Jeez that's two of us picking on Kenny...KENNY I'M SORRY I WAS SUCH A GRUMP ABOUT YOUR REPLY.

It just ticks me off that parts are so hard and so fricking expensive to get...read twall's post just before this.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 19 year old GE chest freezer quit working a few days ago...luckily I noticed it had quit working and scrambled around to get a replacement one in record time...I paid $365 with tax for the old one when new, a replacement frreezer of the same size, 15 cubic foot, was $394. My checking on the old one showed either the compressor relay or the compressor was faulty, there are two appliance parts stores in town but neither had a relay...I would have purchased a relay to see if that was the problem rather than going to the expense of buying a new freezer.

Once I had the new freezer downstairs and everything transferred, I went online to see what parts would cost. You will not believe this...for a two wire relay small enough to fit in the bowl of a standard spoon, $68.52 plus shipping. For a compressor, almost $300 plus shipping, and you would need special tools to swap that out because of the freon. Such ripoffs simply discourage owners from repairing appliances, etc. and force them to purchase new ones instead. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. :confused2: :thumbdown: :mad:

How many prices did you get? Where did that price come from?
I know that you can get a universal start relay for about 30$ last time I checked. I have 2 of them. If you want I'll take a picture and post it. If you think it will work I'll give them to you.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many prices did you get? Where did that price come from?
I know that you can get a universal start relay for about 30$ last time I checked. I have 2 of them. If you want I'll take a picture and post it. If you think it will work I'll give them to you.

Thank you for the offer, but my testing indicated the compressor was probably bad too....I gave the old freezer to a friend I know, he is going to use it to store feed in one of his barns that is infested with mice, a very practical use if you ask me. I posted my experience about the freezer on TBN, and several people told me that a 20 year lifespan for a 1992 vintage appliance was fairly good. Again, THANK YOU for youe generous offer.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for the offer, but my testing indicated the compressor was probably bad too....I gave the old freezer to a friend I know, he is going to use it to store feed in one of his barns that is infested with mice, a very practical use if you ask me. I posted my experience about the freezer on TBN, and several people told me that a 20 year lifespan for a 1992 vintage appliance was fairly good. Again, THANK YOU for youe generous offer.

I was asking about the origin of the pricing because most machnes are built around relays and switches. If you go to the manufacturers website for parts your going to leave Pi$$ed off.
A couple of weeks ago the vacum cleaner went on an extended vacation. After some testing and dissassembling I was able to determine the switch was bad, this switch, like your relay is a common item availble for sale in many places. You can just type the numbers off the switch directly into your search engine and find a list of manufacturers that will send it to you for a fraction of what the OEM will charge. In this case I had to get out my micrometer and measure the dimensions to make sure it would fit. I had it here for 3 days later for about 6$.
And THANK YOU for apoligizing to Kenny.