Paing for a small engine repair course

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grumpy, as a teacher for 34+ years I take exception to your comment. Every occupation has there 5-10%, but to lump everyone into the same boat is a disservice to the good ones out there. Maybe all the bad ones live near you.

grumpygrizzly

Threads
I never looked at that saying in that way Rivets. The way it was brought to my attention was that the older mechanics (or anyone else in a profession out there) get, the less they can do in the areas like squatting down or even getting on thier knees to work on something and then not needing help to get back up.. THOSE are the group that can't DO anymore and a lot of them become teachers to share years of knowledge they've learned working in shops, schools, heck, driving big trucks down the highways.

Now don't go narrowing it down to only the ones that can't squat or get on thier knees.. Arthritis can hit all kinds of places on your body. Old injuries can slow you down as well..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AND as an ex-part time TAFE teacher again your quote goes against the grain.
All of the part time teachers came from industry so they have DONE before they get allowed to each and once you have been out of industry for a while you have to stop.The head of school moved heaven & earth to keep me there but the best he got was an extra 2 years .
The big problem with education is politicians set the curriculum according to their political agendas and the higher up you go the worse it gets.
Try doing a Phd on a topic that your supervisor does not agree with .
So we now have cookie cutter degrees that systematise graduates and discourage free thinking so every director believes to their sox that all profits are made in the board room and managers who think every company is a McDonalds franchise .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You may not have meant it that way, but too many out there take it that way. I’ve heard it more often than I could count, a few in joking, but most assume that tech instructors are ones who couldn’t handle it out in the field and got out for an easier job for more pay. It’s probably the one area where my skin is the thinnest.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And having been in a classroom , life is a lot easier on the job where I just have to fix the problem or do the job
Trying to show others how to do the job is a lot harder than doing it yourself.
I had problems & I was teaching adults ( supposedly ) and even then they think it was funny to glue a specime to the $ 5,000 electron microscope stage

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Grumpy, as a teacher for 34+ years I take exception to your comment. Every occupation has there 5-10%, but to lump everyone into the same boat is a disservice to the good ones out there. Maybe all the bad ones live near you.
As someone who worked as a service rep for a conpany for 40 years and have been to dozens of training classes i can tell you there are good instructors and bad instructors. The bad ones were either "ladder climbers" or diversity hires or equal opportunity hires. I went to a class once on a machine using 220v and the equal opportunity instructor had never worked on anything 220v. He didn't know a hot and frame gave you 110v. In another class a diversity hire instructor didn't know how to use feeler gauges or an inside micrometer and tried to show a bunch of old service reps how to use them. We laughed them out of the class. Got lots of these stories. Most classes had good instructors but some were idiots or just an ass hole.

Ertik

Forum Newbie
Threads
I heard a saying a long time ago.. "Those who can't do, teach"
Not always true.I retired,47 years of small engine repair.Still doing it from home.Would love to have someone to teach, to keep from going insane.Just hate that when i'm gone, all this knowledge is just ..poof.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As someone who worked as a service rep for a company for 40 years and have been to dozens of training classes i can tell you there are good instructors and bad instructors. The bad ones were either "ladder climbers" or diversity hires or equal opportunity hires. I went to a class once on a machine using 220v and the equal opportunity instructor had never worked on anything 220v. He didn't know a hot and frame gave you 110v. In another class a diversity hire instructor didn't know how to use feeler gauges or an inside micrometer and tried to show a bunch of old service reps how to use them. We laughed them out of the class. Got lots of these stories. Most classes had good instructors but some were idiots or just an ass hole.
Yes when I worked for a fortune 500 company they would send me to training classes after I done been in the field on my own for two-three years. I usually knew more than the instructors did by then as I had real field experience of doing the repairs. One class I didn't even pay attention and pass the written test at the end of the class with a grade of 98 out of 100 questions.

What classroom instructors need to be are ones that actually did the work for several years themselves. Book learning is fine but real life learning is very important too.