Paing for a small engine repair course

grumpygrizzly

Threads
I'm a disabled vet and the VA approves and pays for training and I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that accepts that kind of payment?? I'm looking for a small engine repair course, preferably correspondence type like Foley Belsaw used to offer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

grumpygrizzly

Threads
Thanks, checking it out now..

grumpygrizzly

Threads
Well, that went over like a fart in church.

I tried contacting EETC and entered my login, tried several passwords with it, asked them to send a new password and all I heard was crickets. It's 2:25PM Pacific Coast time here, maybe they've gone home for the day. I'll check in on them tomorrow.

Does anyone else know of any training centers?? Preferably that allow the VA to pay for the training. Hey, if I can get a free course out of the VA for my 20 years in the Air Force, I gotta try. I know there's a truck driving school up north of here but, man, I can't imagine driving up and down I-5 all day long.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know about the USA but down here Kohler have a cerification system totally on line & free .
Did it , got a certificate , did not really find out much that I did not already know but it looks good hanging off the wall next to my business registration certificate.
Both B & S and Kawakasi run tech courses down here that anyone can attend if they pay the fee.
worth contacting the engine makers directly .

That EETC site looks impressive as do the people behind it , apart from MTD all quality manufacturers .
Let us know how you go .
Down here we have an excellent TAFE system but you have to be a registered apprentice working for a registered business under the supervision of a licensed tradesperson to enrol in the courses .
Most technicians in dealers are not trades people so they can not train apprentices which serves the education department well because training mower mechanics is a lot more expensive than training book keepers & accountants so no surprise to find we are drastically short of qualified mower technicians.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some Tech schools use to offer such courses might check them out.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some Tech schools use to offer such courses might check them out.
A few years back I found that my local community college offered a small engine repair course. One of the prerequisites was you had to be incarcerated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in the 80’s I used to teach a night course in small engine repair at the local technical college. Did a quick google search and found many online courses. Most of the technical colleges in Wisconsin still offer a course or two. If you can’t find something you like I suggest you talk to you local repair shops. Many times you can trade education for dirty work. Offer to do any dirty work they may have for being able to be along side their technicians. At the busy time of the year they may jump at the chance of cheap labor.

grumpygrizzly

Threads
I recall many moons ago taking a small engine course with my Dad through the local community college but.. man that's been a lot of moons ago for sure.

I was hoping to find the old Foley Belsaw program still up and running but, I guess it's gone out of business. I'm retired military and I'm thinking my Education benefits may have laps a few years back. Doesn't really matter to me though.

A few summers back I was out hitting yard sales and picking up small engines right and left at next to nothing. I actually had a Stihl leaf blower just given to me by one guy, took it home, cleaned the plug, fresh gas, and it ran like crazy.

Dang Covid has put a cramp on finding yard sales the past couple of years though. Might have to go back to Craigslist and start looking for non-runners I can restore and flip.

What I'd really love to do is to find an old service station that's been out of business a while and buy it, using one of the bays for my work area and the place where the cash register sits as a store I can sell parts and fluids in.

I've been doing AutoCad drafting for over 20+ years and manual drafting before that and I'm just tired of doing it all the time. I had a stepvan that I was going to make into a mobile small engine repair van but, the ole lady poo-pooed all over that idea. I still have a 14x60 shop in my back yard so there's plenty of space to make into a decent sized shop.

If anyone has any courseware from training they took, I'd love to get a copy of it or straight up buy it off you if you're up to that.

I did see where I can pick up a few manuals on small engine repair through a Google Search.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I did a quick google search “small engine training online” and found many opportunities, depending on what your needs are. Here are a few.