P3314WSA

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Good 'ol Pull-On......
ran great ever since i fixed it, but slowly got to where it doesn't want to idle.. and i kind of had to play with Low adjustment sometimes for it to idle good....it runs great with throttle up and cutting, just won't frickin idle. I screwed the L and H adjustments all the win and worked my way out... it will either fire once as i'm pulling the rope, it will fire up and idle for anywhere from 1 second to 3 seconds.. I'm wondering if it's sucking air... but the spark plug is a good color, just a tan-ish color.... no scoring that i can see on the P&C..
so what now....

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well what is compression number at?

Also have you done a pressure/vac of the crankcase?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Guess looks ain't everything....lol...Compression, with the throttle held at wide open, barely pushing 90...:cautious: and according to the SM, 1627059529880.png
I do not own a pressure tester as i do not work on 2 strokes for the general public... strictly 4 stroke ATV's/UTV's and 4 stroke air cooled. so mainly compression testing and leakdown testing....

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And most 2 cycles that I have learn needs at least 100 psi to run at idle.

Now the question is worth putting $50-$75 into it. If so both type 1 & 2 call for the same PNC 530071883/530071884 set. NCC Piston and Non coated cylinder.

Plus saw is actually a 42cc PNC wise. And can upgraded to a NCC Cylinder 530071885 and a non coated piston 530071882 at higher cost of course.

Before you ask no you can't put a NCC piston and a NCC cylinder. Done tried that years ago on a 4218 chainsaw which uses the same PNC sets.

NCC = Nickel Ceramic Coating

The Nickel burns off leaving only the ceramic coating.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thanks for the details, looks like most places comes out to around $60 at parts tree and jacks.... i would definitely like to do it for the learning portion of it as i have never torn down a chainsaw engine and i prefer to learn and make mistakes on my own dime.
I looked at Jacks, the parts are cheaper, but the difference in $ shipping brings up to the same as Parts Tree.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Heh, jackpot.. think i'll order from Small engine Pro's dealer out of FL, $58.00 shipped for the cylinder kit, piston, and bearing/seal assembly..
can anyone think of anything else that would be necessary?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Gasket set 530071894 (Intake and Exhaust gaskets)

And you will need either Permatex Ultra Black or Motoseal for sealing the lower crankcase. The Ultra Black is easier to work with.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Wouldn't be the first I forgot to order a gasket. It is just I have done a lot of these clam shell engines. You could always come and put together the Stihl MS180C I have in a box right now. I had to replace the piston after a piston stop put a hole in it because someone over tighten the clutch. I was needing to get to oil pump drive gear as it was sticking causing the chain to move at idle.

It is the first time I tried using Motoseal and I don't really like it as it is runny. The PNC is back to together so now all I got to do is put everything else back in the right places. My first teardown of a Stihl 1130 engine.

oldlawnguy

Threads
Oooh yep, gasket set. Duh
Do you have a clutch removal tool? I did this on a 46cc Homelite Pro. It was a lot of fun and leaning for me as well. Make sure you use new piston retainer rings (don't reuse old ones, hopefully part of your rebuild kit).

Given this is a complete teardown (nothing left to take apart :) you might as well replace the fuel lines, filter and primer bulb which is pretty cheap. I say this because on a 33cc 20 year old Homelite, I did a Walbro carb rebuild and it worked better, but was boggy when hitting throttle (kinda like it was fine then like I engaged the brake); scratched my head then I was thinking fuel lines/filter. I replace and that fixed the problem. Cross sectioned the filter and it was nasty, lines were not in good shape. Bought the line kit stuff at DadofBlueOrigin and there is all sort of kit there to buy in combos 6 ways to Sunday. I bought cylinder, piston, ring and coil at ProPartsDirect and picked them up so no sales tax or shipping. Good luck should take you about 4 hours if you do it all in one go, got to give the gasket 30 min to set before mounting cylinder under tension so you get a coffee break.

Dalom 4Pcs 6-Feet Fuel Line w 530095646 Fuel Filter Primer Bulb for 2-Stroke Poulan Weed Eater Craftman Sthil Ryobi Homelite Chainsaw String Trimmer Leaf Blower 530058709 35879158 530071835