Overwhelming Lawn Mower Choices

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I also wonder which brands consume less fuel. Any idea? Thank you.

Just reread this post and realized I didn't mention it...
A diesel powered mower... and there are small air cooled diesel engines, will burn the least amount of fuel for the same work done, when you compare it to any other fuel... :smile:KennyV

minkyung

Threads
Thank you again for the replies. Yeah, there are no quiet engines I undertand. Maybe less noisy is the correct term :) As to diesel, yes they are more efficient. But just wondering, diesel engine vibrate more, right? They are also more expensive to buy, I understand.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
A diesel powered mower... and there are small air cooled diesel engines, will burn the least amount of fuel for the same work done, when you compare it to any other fuel... :smile:KennyV

I agree a diesel powered mower will burn the least amount of fuel for the same work done but they tend to be on the heavy side for lawn care. I think the cost of diesel at the pump being 20 cents and better a gallon pushes a lot of people towards the gas mowers. I don't know but I've always been told it cost more to maintain a diesel mower than a gas, is that true or false?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

Before I bought the tractor I have I owned an Iseki with 2 cylinder diesel. I can't tell you exactly how many hours I could get from the little 6 gallon tank, but it was nothing short of amazing! I could use it all summer on little more than one tank of fuel, the engine was an Isuzu, rated at 16 hp. It would turn a 50" finnish mower or a 4' bush hog.
I've often thought of how well the engine would work in a marine application.

jenkinsph

Threads
I think alot of this is all relative, there are some reasonably quiet mowers out there that aren't too bad and some that don't burn too much fuel. I haven't found many of the newer models to be bad about either noise or fuel consumption, well none that I can think of.

Choosing a mower is more about the features you wan't or need for the most part. I use a combination of three Deere mowers, smallest being a JS45 self propelled trimmer mower with front caster wheels, an L130 48" rider and an X749 4wd, 4ws with 3pt hitch, 540 pto and diesel engine. For tough cutting jobs I have a 4520 cab tractor (60hp diesel) with an MX6 brushmower, great for overgrown lots and small pastures. For rocky weed areas I have a DR trimmer mower, I only use it if the weeds or brush is too large for a standard string trimmer, these trimmers are bulky and harder to use. I don't have a ZTR mower because I don't work in places where they are needed, if you have large mowing jobs and that is of prime importance then check these out.

It should be obvious by now that there are lots of different mowers and related equipment available some of it is entry level and some of it is serious commercial equipment with a high price tag. The easiest thing to do in a new lawn business is buy something. The hardest thing to do is to develop a good clientel who pays on que enough to make a good profit. To turn the jobs you need the knowhow and people who will consistently follow through maintaining the customers lawns.

My interest is in design / building of landscapes taking a piece of raw property and making it look it's best. While this takes more equipment and implements it also takes more experience, so the more you do the better you can get. I really enjoy this type of work the most and get lots of satisfaction from transforming a rough lawn into one that has lots of curb appeal.

In conclusion, you can get lost in all the mower choices for sure but I would think spending the time to figure the in's and out's of the business is what you need to focus on. Involvement in the business for some time, building up some contracts and fullfilling these contracts will quickly determine the future equipment purchases you will make.

jenkinsph

Threads
Before I bought the tractor I have I owned an Iseki with 2 cylinder diesel. I can't tell you exactly how many hours I could get from the little 6 gallon tank, but it was nothing short of amazing! I could use it all summer on little more than one tank of fuel, the engine was an Isuzu, rated at 16 hp. It would turn a 50" finnish mower or a 4' bush hog.
I've often thought of how well the engine would work in a marine application.

Robert,
You are aware I am sure that most gasoline engines today burn about 1 gallon of gas for each 10hp hour, and diesels burn 1 gallon for about 18hp hour. With diesel costing more initially, engines costing more and an lof costing more a diesel will yield an improvement of 30 to 40% maximum. I would think an improvement of 20% overall is worthwhile.

What would really change the marine market is for a larger manufacturer such as Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki or Evinrude to come up with a line of lightweight dependable outboards in diesel. Atleast Evinrude is taking some initative in this area with their multi fuel engine. I have always been concerned about being offshore on a floating gas tank.:biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Diesel vs. gasoline...
I have a 45 Hp kubota diesel... Using a rear mounted LandPride 84 inch Finish Mower. I can cover a little more than an acre per hour, and it burns right at 1 gallon per hour. This is late spring, heavy growth mowing.

When I use to do the same field with a 50 Hp gasoline Massey Ferguson, I could not go nearly as fast, it would be well less than 1 acre per hour and I was burning almost 2gallons per hour.

That is with diesel I was mowing MORE per hour and using almost half the fuel per hour. and the diesel Kubota has a cab, it is also running an air conditioner, the MF was an open station, no AC.

This was with well tuned and very dependable machines.
The maintenance of a diesel is nowhere as much in cost or time. Both tractors got annual engine oil changes, diesel engine holds 8 quarts vs gas engine at 6 quarts.
Every 4 th year antifreeze was flushed and changed in each. both about the same amount.
Air filters on both cleaned twice a year... diesel replaced around every 5 years.
Fuel filters on both changed every 3rd or 4th year, cleaned each year.
Batteries on each seem to last around 5 or 6 years, both using the same type and size battery.

The gas engine had plugs points distributor and coil that all needed replacing every 3rd or 4th year. Diesel has none of that.
There had been times over the years that the gasoline engine did fail to start (for various reasons)... have never had a failure to start with this, or any other diesel engine... :smile:KennyV

minkyung

Threads
Interesting inputs! Friends, I am learning a lot.

KennyV, you like diesel engines, I see. I also see that maintenance of diesel mowers cost less in terms of spare parts. Do I understand correctly?

Jenkins, thank you for your inputs. Your suggestion is very wise. Better for me if I study first the business, then choose the machine later.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your suggestion is very wise. Better for me if I study first the business, then choose the machine later.

It's funny you should say Better for me if I study first the business, so many people come into the Lawn care industry thinking they know how to do everything that has to be done and think they're going to make a ton of money only to be out of the business in less than a year.
Nice to see someone taking the time to do some research.:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
KennyV, you like diesel engines, I see. I also see that maintenance of diesel mowers cost less in terms of spare parts. Do I understand correctly?

Diesel engines cost more initially...
BUT they LAST a LOT longer... Thousands of trouble free hours....
I am absolutely in favor of powering with diesel... it costs less to operate... :smile:KennyV